Festive Food Floof! Christmas Treats!
3 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (44)
Related Discussions
Festive Floof/Vent Here!
Comments (38)I haven't been to a family holiday since my dad died in 1968. It used to always be at my mother's house, but after my dad died, she started going to my brother's, and my sister moved away, and back, and away, and unaccounted for sometimes. She didn't get along with very many people...so it was always just Jody and me, until Erin came along in 1980. She finished high school and moved to Houston for university and never moved back. So the concept of family or family celebrations or family getting together for the holidays is kind of foreign to me. Now my mother, brothers, sister, and all in laws, and most of my nieces and nephews, and Jody have passed away. It is just me. Erin spends holidays with her husband's family, which is good, because I am glad for her to be part of a family, although knowing her so well, she probably would rather just spend it with her husband. Of course, I miss Jody, but I don't mind being alone. I prefer it. I bought a turkey, but not sure if I will cook it before or after or on the day. Heck, I may just leave it in the freezer. I am expecting company after Thanksgiving....not particularly looking forward to that. I don't mind company but I am ready for them to leave after a couple of days, and I get a sense that he plans to stay awhile. (He is bringing his cat). I have sort of a routine and I like to keep to it, plus I have to be home a lot because a couple of the horses are fed four times a day. I do miss all the foods associated with holidays past, and I plan to make several of the ones I like best....probably not all at the same time. My company to-be has already sent his likes and dislikes in that department, and they aren't the same as mine....so we will see. He says we can eat out a lot. Great. Not....See MoreFestive Floof! Christmas Plans/Menu!
Comments (45)I'm with Judi! I need a pre-hug because I am SOOO dreading the whole thing. Hubs is going out east to spend the holiday with his kid and grandkids. I am totally FINE with that, there's not really room for me in the house, and I don't want to take the risk of covid exposure for me and my 90 year old Dad. I don't usually enjoy long visits there anyway, it's a chaotic household so really best if we keep visits short and sweet. Hubs wants to spend a lot of time there, so he'll be happy and I'll be happy. I really can't be away from my Dad for a long, long time anyway, particularly far away. So I would really love and enjoy a quiet holiday ALONE. But on the downside, I will have to be around my Dad, who takes every opportunity to be miserable and remind everyone why they should be miserable, and make issues about things that aren't issues. He'll spend the whole time lamenting that we are "alone" on the holiday, because I guess I am just chopped liver. He'll revisit every death and estrangement and person who ever spent the holidays with us and isn't there. He'll claim he has no appetite and doesn't feel like eating whatever I make, complain that I made too much, and the only thing worse would be if I didn't do anything. He's clinically depressed and refuses any treatment for it. Which is fine, but he needs to make everyone around him miserable too. Oh, and he has a lovely invitation to spend Christmas with his godson, but insists that I have to come too. I don't want to go due to covid exposure and besides I don't even want to go, it's a long drive. They are lovely people but I would prefer seeing them at a time that is less pandemic complicated. But if my Dad wanted the whole Hallmark Christmas scene he could have it there. But he insists on me going, even though I really really don't want to. Frankly having him gone would give me some much needed rest, but he refuses to take that easy route. So now he's off in search of some public party and gathering at Christmas, Lord knows why he feels like he has to do that. I guess a little covid or flu risk is the way to go. We live in a very high transmission area. So I'm just dreading the whole affair because no matter what I do, it will be wrong/bad,/problematic. Hubs and I are having vegetarian lasagna for our Christmas dinner before he leaves. Not sure what else I will make. Probably just a salad and maybe some cranberry pistachio biscotti and tea if I can get the darn things made in time . . . Dad and I will be having cornish hens, sweet potatoes and wild rice pilaf, with an apple bundt cake for dessert. If I don't feel like fussing I might just make a small apple coffee cake in a square pan instead. I love my apple bundt cake but it takes five thinly sliced apples in layers so it's a lot of work. Or I might make cranberry cherry cobbler, that's always easy peasy but also impressive....See MoreFloof! Festive Tableware!
Comments (25)I have a set of rather informal Christmas dishes that I use daily starting after Thanksgiving. The holidays are mostly at my kids houses now but back in the day we would always have a huge New Years Day Brunch of sorts......starting after midnight! There were times we poured the last one out the door about 5 AM, so I have tons of white Ranson china plates both Haviland and Bavarian....and enough sterling to set 50 places plus extra forks. Am passing on some of the silver to the grands now. When I did do Thanksgiving I usually used my Mason's Vista with Ruby flashed King's crown...festive but not strictly holiday. And for a few years we had a "Kick off the holiday" cocktail party the night before Thanksgiving. That was back in the days when a turkey had pinfeathers and you would spend an hour plucking pinfeathers before you could cook it! Not sure how i managed all that....but I did!...See MoreFestive Food Floof! Hearts!
Comments (24)I know you're looking for ready made, but I don't know any. Have you heard of pie pops? I haven't until I saw this gadget just now... https://www.amazon.com/Tovolo-Pops-Press-Prep-Tools/dp/B0077LSB9C/ref=sr_1_27?crid=1BFNCR5XFRNUV&keywords=tovolo+chop+and+spin&qid=1675844084&sprefix=tovolo+chop+and+spin%2Caps%2C168&sr=8-27...See More
Related Stories

CHRISTMAS20 Festive Christmas Decorating Essentials Made Easy
Dress up your home for the holidays with these inspirational decorating ideas
Full Story
HOLIDAYSSetting the Table for an Australian Christmas
Find out how an interior stylist introduces a festive feeling for her dinner guests with a native Australian centerpiece
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: Pretty Packaging for Homemade Holiday Treats
Keep fragile baked goods and candies intact and in style with these boxes, bags, tins and plates
Full Story
MOST POPULARA Magical Tree House Lights Up for Christmas
From the Most Popular file: An incredible tree house takes things up a notch for the holidays. See how it came to be
Full Story
ENTERTAININGHow to Stay Calm When Hosting Christmas
Consider a dozen tips for getting organizing and enjoying the big day
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDES30 Beautifully Inventive DIY Christmas Decorations
Get inspired to decorate your home with these easy and affordable holiday crafts
Full Story
HOUZZ CALLWhat’s the Best Way to Spend the Week After Christmas?
Do you catch up on home projects and reading? Or do you like to get out of town? Please share what has worked for you!
Full Story
HOLIDAYSHouzz Call: Share Your Favorite Christmas Tradition
Is there one thing you do, watch or eat that heralds the arrival of Christmas? Post a photo and let us know!
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: A Kid-Friendly Christmas
Keep the kids entertained on their holiday break with these winter-inspired activities
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSHouzz Tour: More Color for a Fun Christmas in Sweden
In this bright house, the holiday spirit is palpable even without the traditional red and green decorations
Full Story





Zalco/bring back Sophie!