Festive Floof! Fathers Day
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (25)
Related Discussions
Festive Floof! Decorating the death shield!
Comments (17)A fog machine would be really neat! They are motion activated when someone enters. Do you seasonally decorate your home too? Hmm what about a Polar Express type scene? The portions could be windows in a train car? I don't think we've seen Easter or Valentines from our office! Nice smelling seasonal candles on a candle warmer instead of an open flame might works....See MoreFestive Floof! Spooky Movies!
Comments (33)Not a fan of the scary movie. Most teen flix are really STARTLE movies, and all that jumping gives me a head ache!! IMPO the most frightening movie I ever watched was Silence of the Lambs--the chance it was REAL had me awake all night for a week!! The campy Beetle Juice and the like I would categorize as Halloween movies= good family FUN. #1 ; only show I watch every year w/o fail is It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown!...See MoreFestive Floof/Vent Here!
Comments (38)I haven't been to a family holiday since my dad died in 1968. It used to always be at my mother's house, but after my dad died, she started going to my brother's, and my sister moved away, and back, and away, and unaccounted for sometimes. She didn't get along with very many people...so it was always just Jody and me, until Erin came along in 1980. She finished high school and moved to Houston for university and never moved back. So the concept of family or family celebrations or family getting together for the holidays is kind of foreign to me. Now my mother, brothers, sister, and all in laws, and most of my nieces and nephews, and Jody have passed away. It is just me. Erin spends holidays with her husband's family, which is good, because I am glad for her to be part of a family, although knowing her so well, she probably would rather just spend it with her husband. Of course, I miss Jody, but I don't mind being alone. I prefer it. I bought a turkey, but not sure if I will cook it before or after or on the day. Heck, I may just leave it in the freezer. I am expecting company after Thanksgiving....not particularly looking forward to that. I don't mind company but I am ready for them to leave after a couple of days, and I get a sense that he plans to stay awhile. (He is bringing his cat). I have sort of a routine and I like to keep to it, plus I have to be home a lot because a couple of the horses are fed four times a day. I do miss all the foods associated with holidays past, and I plan to make several of the ones I like best....probably not all at the same time. My company to-be has already sent his likes and dislikes in that department, and they aren't the same as mine....so we will see. He says we can eat out a lot. Great. Not....See MoreFestive Floof! Trees!
Comments (23)morz8 ^^^^ -- There is a fabulous artificial tree (IMHO) called the Noblis Fir -- notice this specific spelling please. I have had a 7-foot one of these, bought online, for the past six years. It is perfect. Like you, I prefer a tree whose branches are spaced and open enough for my ornaments (which must "hang' properly, and fill all the way into the center trunk, NOT lay along the outer plane of the branch tips!!!). This tree is exactly what I wanted -- I personally loathe the sheared look. (grin) https://www.grandinroad.com/un-lit-noblis-fir-christmas-tree/698014 (the photo looks odd as the branches have not been "fluffed" which is an easy accomplishment) Above is one link for a current source of the Noblis Fir -- and it is on sale now! If it is the right size for you, get it now for next year... =) At the going rate this year for a natural real tree, this is a bargain as the cost will amortize nicely thru the years ahead. FULL DISCLOSURE NOW of my personal eccentricity: Bought mine six years ago. The first year, it was a delight to decorate and easy to tweak the branch placement. It came pre-lit, but I added more, all white. And then went to town using tons of my ornament collections. Over-done? Some would think so, perhaps, but not to me! When I finished, I stood back and admired the gorgeous thing. And promptly decided I could not improve on this perfection, SO IT HAS BEEN LEFT IN PLACE, FULLY DECORATED, EVER SINCE. LOLOLOL. Fortunately, the living room is very large, so the tree does not impact the overall space the rest of the year. It still makes me happy every time I see it. And I don't have to lug out the decorations every year, nor put them all away again. BONUS! At almost 77 years of age, and less than 4"10". I am totally keeping this tree as it is for the rest of my life (with a bit of dusting as needed). In fact, I doubt I could take it down anyway, as after all this time I cannot remember where the the specific ornament boxes are located by now. That will be a job for my children & grandchildren to deal with after I have shuffled off this mortal coil. (Hee-hee -- payback for all the times I had to pick us their stuff and put it away) Would love to hear your thoughts on this artificial tree, morz8!...See More
Related Stories

HOUSEKEEPINGAnother Independence Day: When Kids Can Do Their Laundry
Set yourself free and give your child a valuable life skill at the same time
Full Story
EVENTSPreview Some Captivating Art in This Year’s London Design Festival
The Victoria and Albert Museum’s LDF exhibits are about reflection, wearable art, tiny insects and lots of Swarovski crystals
Full Story
TRAVEL BY DESIGNThe Father of the U.S. National Parks Lived Here
Adventurer John Muir helped preserve the nation’s natural wonders. His California home shows his domestic side
Full Story
CHRISTMAS10 Easy Decorating Ideas for a Festive Entryway
'Tis the season for welcoming guests with wreaths, special lighting and plenty of comfy seating
Full Story
HOLIDAYSHouzz Call: Show Us Your Day of the Dead Decor
Share with us the altars and other decorations you’ve put up to celebrate the holiday and honor your dearly departed
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: Queensland Newlyweds Put Their Festive Feet Forward
An Australian couple’s mountain home reflects their contrasting styles and special occasions
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESMission Possible: A Designer Decorates a Blank Apartment in 4 Days
Four days and $10,000 take an apartment from bare to all-there. Get the designer's daily play-by-play
Full Story
HOLIDAYSHow to Have a Fun and Festive Holiday This Year
Make staying at home feel special this Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s and more
Full Story
RUSTIC STYLEGet Your Rustic On for Log Cabin Day!
Celebrate rugged good looks and simpler times with a gallery of 10 gorgeous log cabins across the U.S.
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDES12 Ways Your Home Can Say Happy Derby Day
Add a dash of fresh Kentucky Derby style to your home
Full Story
foodonastump