Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

Festive Floof/Vent Here!

4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

What is your biggest source of stress at the holidays? I LOVE the holidays. I love shopping, cooking,decorating.
BUT the one thing that really can ruin my holiday is always people in the kitchen when I am trying to cook for the feast.
No I do not need or want help.
You want to help? How about taking your kids along with everyone else's outside so they are not running wild through the kitchen? If I drop a pan of gravy on one of them,I do not want to hear any thing about it. Oh, you do not want to entertain your own kids? How about just keeping them out of the kitchen while things are boiling and searing and being hauled around? Can you turn a movie on or something instead of worrying whether or not the deviled eggs are made yet...
Lemme alone.
Go. Away.
Stop stirring things.
Open that oven again and I will carve you up like the turkey......
STOP PICKING AT EVERYTHING! I MADE APPETIZERS FOR YOU TO PICK AT. THEY ARE IN THE DINING ROOM,NOT IN HERE!
Where is the (whatever i JUST took out to use and someone sailed through and put it away to "help") I haven't even used it yet.
I didn't ask for your opinion on my technique or recipe.
I do not care how you make it. Stay at home and make it like that next year.
What is it that makes it IMPOSSIBLE for people to stay out of a kitchen? Especially when I make it crystal clear that the absolute best way they can help is to STAY OUT. Its a mystery.
The last few years have been much easier though. Now, when I cook a huge family meal, my parents will bring the food up to my house and I make everything I can in advance. I just have to finish it up at their house. But it still happens. Its like a compulsion they can't help. People know that food is cooking, they have to meddle and stress the cook out......odd
Anyway, what stresses you out the most? Do you share my dilemma? Is it family that is hard to deal with? The pressure of finding a good gift? Vent here!

Comments (38)

  • 4 years ago

    What is your biggest source of stress at the holidays


    Valentines day? No stress there

    Memorial Day? its always boring because no one invites me to Bar B Qs

    Fourth of July? hosting, pre pandemic, up to 40 guests in my back yard

    New Years Eve? Worrying about drunks on the road

    amylou321 thanked Rho Dodendron
  • 4 years ago

    Amy......... I cannot stand people in my kitchen! Except my daughter she get's me.


    amylou321 thanked Judy Good
  • Related Discussions

    Festive floof! Anyone decorating yet?

    Q

    Comments (35)
    Well, to be honest, my stuff never came down from last year. Except for most of the ornaments on the tree. I didn't finish taking them down. Tree still up, all my Christmas stuff still in the living room that my daughter put out all over my shrunk and her coffee table, which is now mine. It has been used as a storage space since after Christmas because my son's table is in there along with his suitcase that he had mailed to my house after he realized he wouldn't be able to take it through some major airports along with his other luggage when he flew to England last year. I need to clean that room out and put out the wreath on the front door, put the ornaments back on the tree.... Never had Thanksgiving because I got sick but now we are having Christmas dinner here the day after Christmas. I'm working Christmas day. I think I have one of those snowflake things somewhere that project on the front of the house. I just don't remember where it is. I don't know if I'll ever put out lights on the house again. Someday I would like to have some yard ornaments, like giant candy canes and those pretty white reindeer. I may decorate the trees outside with lights. See how I feel.
    ...See More

    Festive Food Floof! The perfect plate!

    Q

    Comments (27)
    My plate of favorites would include white and dark meat turkey, rustic (made with unpeeled potatoes that are not mashed until they no longer resemble potatoes) mashed potatoes with a bit of whole milk and butter, kasha (buckwheat) stuffing, fresh green beans with mushrooms, turnip puff, cooked carrots with a hint of maple syrup and browned butter, turkey gravy for the stuffing and potatoes, and a raw fruit salad with a touch of lime juice and honey. I’m not much of a dessert eater, but I like a creamy lemon pie with a crushed animal cracker crust, usually called North Carolina lemon pie, I think. I may have to make one tomorrow. I first had the kasha stuffing when I went home with a college friend for T-day and have made it since then. Wonderfully flavored with everything you’d put in a bread dressing, it is a delicious alternative to a festive feast. Buckwheat is gluten free for those that are interested, by the way.
    ...See More

    Floof! Festive Tableware!

    Q

    Comments (25)
    I have a set of rather informal Christmas dishes that I use daily starting after Thanksgiving. The holidays are mostly at my kids houses now but back in the day we would always have a huge New Years Day Brunch of sorts......starting after midnight! There were times we poured the last one out the door about 5 AM, so I have tons of white Ranson china plates both Haviland and Bavarian....and enough sterling to set 50 places plus extra forks. Am passing on some of the silver to the grands now. When I did do Thanksgiving I usually used my Mason's Vista with Ruby flashed King's crown...festive but not strictly holiday. And for a few years we had a "Kick off the holiday" cocktail party the night before Thanksgiving. That was back in the days when a turkey had pinfeathers and you would spend an hour plucking pinfeathers before you could cook it! Not sure how i managed all that....but I did!
    ...See More

    Festive Food Floof! Christmas Treats!

    Q

    Comments (44)
    Lizbeth: For my Green Chile Pinwheels, I use one drained, 4-ounce can of chopped green chiles (Hatch or Bueno are my preferred brands for quality). Here's my recipe for my Biscochitos. Biscochitos Ingredients ¨ 3 cups butter (originally called for lard) ¨ 1 1/2 cups sugar ¨ 2 large eggs, beaten ¨ 1 teaspoon anise extract ¨ 3 teaspoons vanilla extract ¨ 7-8 teaspoons anise seeds ¨ 1 teaspoon salt ¨ 1/’4 cup brandy ¨ 5 cups all-purpose flour ¨ 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder ¨ 1/4 cup sugar + 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon for topping Directions: 1) Cream sugar and butter. Add in beaten eggs. 2) Next add in the anise and vanilla extracts, anise seeds, salt and brandy. Mix well. 3) Mix in the flour and baking powder. Roll out your cookie dough, thick or thin depending on your preference. 4) Cut into star or flower shapes with cookie cutters, and sprinkle with a mixture of sugar and cinnamon. Move to cookie sheets. 5) Bake in preheated 350-degree oven for approximately 12-15 minutes, BUT WATCH THEM! Bake only until golden. Browned cookies will taste terrible! ** This baking time is for our high altitude here at 6,000 ft. You may need to adjust it for lower altitudes!
    ...See More
  • 4 years ago

    Judy, no one gets me. They all annoy me......

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    With the exception of the first 2 years of my 43 year marriage, my holiday stress has been nil. Neither of us live near our families, and we have no children. We chose early-on not to travel on busy holidays and instead have always spent time at home with like-minded friends and strays. I've always enjoyed it and have never felt any guilt. We do family visits other times of the year, without the emotional baggage and travel delays/hazards that surround holiday get-togethers.

    amylou321 thanked seagrass_gw Cape Cod
  • 4 years ago

    I don't mind people in my kitchen as long as they are making themselves useful. Otherwise Christmas is a stress period. I do all the decorating, cooking, baking, shopping, wrapping..... everything. Hubby's big contribution (sarcasm) is helping to carry in the decorations from storage to the basement the day before Thanksgiving and maybe just maybe he will put up the blow ups. Then the day after Thanksgiving he leaves for hunting for several weeks. I'm not a fan of Christmas at all.

    amylou321 thanked functionthenlook
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    The best thing is seeing the kids' headlights of their cars as they arrive.

    The second best thing is seeing the tailights as they leave.

    Sandwiched in between is ... stress. *grin*

    amylou321 thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    amylou, I wonder if your guests are bored. Perhaps they should come a little later.


    Having guests at all in our home feels crowded. It is a very small house. I prefer when some or all of our visiting can be outdoors.

    amylou321 thanked matthias_lang
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    For the first 15 years of married life we schlepped to one family or another (3hrs one way) each and every vacation we had. Because we lived far from family, back then it was what made holidays special/different. We had US each and every day so why not!! Then we began wanting to explore and "vacation". So even today 15 more years later one HUGE stress is not going to either family of origin and just sticking to the five (now 6) of us. Friends are envious at our choice, yet say THEY would turn into the black sheep of the family if they did that. We are. Hence the stress. Now our grown offspring come to us and because of how we chose back in the day I suppose soon we will be alone. Fair fair. The difference is our offspring have TONS more vacation than we ever did so maybe they will continue to find a way... The other HUGE stress is gifting. I hate the pressure of it. I love a holiday where gifts are not involved!!! That makes Thanksgiving my favorite in many ways.

    amylou321 thanked arcy_gw
  • 4 years ago

    I don't understand why people want to gather in the kitchen either. I've gotten to where when I'm at a friends and people start doing that I'll go into the kitchen and say "let's all go do whatever in another room" to help persuade others to leave the one cooking some space and ability to concentrate.

    amylou321 thanked User
  • 4 years ago

    No stress ever. I enjoy the Holidays. I had them every year but now I enjoy them at the kids house.

    amylou321 thanked sal 60 Hanzlik
  • 4 years ago

    Decorating the tree. DH is a minimalist (no that's not entirely true, he's lazy!) and grumbles that we have sooooo many ornaments and we neeeevvver use them all so we should give them away except for the few we use (which happen to be HIS favorites). Nope, not happening. I've already culled out the ornaments that I didn't like (except for a few which are his favorites). So what if not every ornament gets used every year? They each have their turn every couple of years and that's enough.

    Minor stress is my extended family's need to bake every type of cookie we ever had during our childhood Christmases. They weren't all good. Oh well -- accept them all with grace, take home and eat the good, discard the rest (shhh! don't tell!)

    amylou321 thanked User
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    I hate the holidays. There, I said it. My family is scattered, we just have DH’s sister, who has decided that she doesn't cook.

    Everything is on me.

    However now that we are using our Florida house, I don’t have to worry about Easter, Mother’s Day and Father’s Day. DD’s both send us gifts here and we speak on the phone.

    Honestly, I am over having to celebrate the commercial holidays.

    We have added drama now that oldest is engaged.

    The only really important holiday is Christmas for DH. I enjoy decorating a live tree. I am non observant Jewish, so I do everything because means it something to him.

    amylou321 thanked eld6161
  • 4 years ago

    Similar to eld6161, I'd be just as happy if we went from Halloween directly to Valentine's Day!! I can do without all the hoo-hah that comes in between and I am not all that wild about winter either :-) Too much fuss and bother and too expensive.

    I did enjoy the holidays more when I was younger and had a family to share them with and the financial wherewithal to make them happen. But now single and with all the steps that made up our family unit grown, living at a distance and with families of their own and me living on a very modest fixed income, they just seem so unnecessary now.

    I do have family - sibs and their kids/grandkids - living close by that I see (unless they are travelling, which happens often) but not often on The Day. And we can happily jump over any gifting, thank you very much! Everyone has what they want or need or can buy it much more easily themselves. I'd rather focus on birthday gifting than be sucked into the buy, buy, buy ethos that comes with the holidays.

    My biggest stress is getting my family to accept the way I would like to enjoy the holidays without being labeled a grinch or a hermit :-) They are finally starting to come around. Last year was nearly perfect as the pandemic restricted much celebratory gathering. This year, my local family will be travelling and I will be left in peace to enjoy the holidays on my own.


    ETA: I don't mind Thanksgiving......it is really Christmas I would prefer to avoid.

    amylou321 thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    45 years of marriage here. I have always loved any kind of celebration/holiday/get together.

    If I’m the one hosting, I like to do ALL the cooking. I prepare as much as possible ahead of time. Anyone can sit at the kitchen island or table and chit chat while I’m getting things ready, just don’t get in my way🙂 I’ve considered roping off out of bounds areas (like with crime scene police tape) for my guests but most of them are pretty good and it’s not something to get stressed over anyhow. I like their company.

    I like being invited to other folks homes and enjoy just being a guest.

    My main focus is making people feel comfortable, enjoying each others company, good food, good drink, and if I’m lucky a good card game well into the evening.

    amylou321 thanked User
  • 4 years ago

    My two big stressors are my inlaws and stepson. Neither has the courtesy to RSVP or respond to voicemails and then they may or may not show up usually several hours late or early. Inlaws sometimes show up several hours early and are bewidered when food is not ready or worse they volunteer to help. DD and I have a routine and don't need or want help. Stepson always over stays to the point where everyone including DH have gone to bed and I am stuck entertaining him.

    To be fair, one of my BFF's responds but never gives a firm RSVP . She and her husband are social climbers always looking for a "better offer". She has always been this way but she has a heart of gold and in a crisis she is rock solid. This doesn't stress me out as much because they are very flexible and good humored and I do not make accomodations for them.

    amylou321 thanked moosemac
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    People bringing a guest, unannounced, to a dinner they know is sit-down-at-the-table. And, especially when they don’t tell me their relationship, just a name.

    People talking to me in the kitchen. I don’t mind people in the kitchen, chat amongst yourselves, but don’t chat with me.

    When people ask what they can bring, I make a suggestion, and then they hem and haw.

    In the 20 years that I took over from my mother to host our extended family, as many as 7 families, someone else offered to host once. ONCE. It was lovely, fun, she’s a good cook, he’s a congenial host. They later said they thought their house was too small and they would host when the new house was built. When he told me a few years later that they were divorcing, my first selfish inner thought was ”well, there goes the new house and their hosting”.

    amylou321 thanked bpath
  • 4 years ago

    I love the holidays, everything about them. I love entertaining, being entertained, and finding ways to keep the magic alive for my friends and family. From holiday performances, to lessons and carols at church, to gathering with loved ones, and exchanging presents, it's my favorite time of year- warm and filled with light and joy.

    That said, I have lots of food catered. Cooking is not a hobby of mine. I do the job well enough. I will roast the turkey for Thanksgiving, the rib roast for Christmas, and order a bunch of sides and dessert. There are things I have to make myself since buying them is impossible or not up to snuff: kipferle cookies for example.


    amylou321 thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • 4 years ago

    My daughter told me yesterday my sister is bringing an uninvited guest to MY house - hmmm... thought you should ask the HOST first?! I have seating for 12... this will be #13... she told my sister that she needs to check with me - my sister said oh of course, after my friend tells me if she can come or not.

    amylou321 thanked share_oh
  • 4 years ago

    The holidays used to be very stressful for me. I hosted a big group for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. Then I moved far away from family and it's just the two of us. I do not get out of my pajamas on Thanksgiving. I have pie for breakfast. I watch the parades. I do make a full spread and we eat when it gets ready. Could be two. Could be six. Thanksgiving is now my favorite holiday!

    amylou321 thanked cooper8828
  • 4 years ago

    I don't like people in my kitchen either, unless they are washing dishes. I have a peninsula in L.A., and I do most of the prep on the side opposite the sink and D/W, and so it is possible for someone to be in the kitchen at the same time. Once I've finished my prep work, I move to the other side of the peninsula, and then there is really not enough room for anyone else to be in the kitchen with me, except very briefly. Because the space is reasonably tight, I can to everything very efficiently by myself.

    In Cathedral City, the kitchen is extremely tiny, and I have to do the prep at the table, which is bar height, and I have to sit on a bar stool while doing it. We are replacing that table with a new one that is regular height, and we also have a dining room there, although I use it mainly for sewing. Still, it has a large dining table in it, and I can move the sewing machines out of the way, if we ever have more than a couple of guests at one time. So far, that has not happened.

    Our relatives all live at least 1300 miles away, and so we've never hosted our family for holidays, which is fine with me. The worst thing about the holidays is the airports, and I have not been back to Texas for holidays since our parents died. I also have no intention of ever flying during the holidays again. The best Thanksgiving I've had was in Mexico City.

    amylou321 thanked Lars
  • 4 years ago

    My biggest stressor is family. 2020 was a wonderful year for us as we could stay home and enjoy ourselves. We had two family Zoom calls that lasted about 30 minutes each, then were able to enjoy the rest of the holidays without travel, cooking meals for 30+ people, dealing with unhappy relatives, etc. This year, we are traveling again for Christmas and a good portion of the relatives are unvaxxed, so I'm really (not at all) looking forward to it.

    amylou321 thanked Fun2BHere
  • 4 years ago

    Fun2BHere, wild horses could not get me to be in a house with plague vectors.

    amylou321 thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • 4 years ago

    Well, no stress at all here. I usually work on the holidays. This year I was going to have Thanksgiving on the Saturday after but now I'm sick. Ordered a Covid 19 home test kit from Walgreens and if it's positive will have to back out of the dinner.

    amylou321 thanked Kathsgrdn
  • 4 years ago

    Kitchens are usually the gathering place in a home. Think about it, whenever you have company, anytime, not just a holiday, people tend to gather in the kitchen or dining area. I don't know why, but it's something I've noticed when I've had company or when I'm visiting other people. It may be that you have an inviting kitchen.

    amylou321 thanked sephia_wa
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    I've never noticed kitchens to be a gathering place, especially not in my parents' kitchen and not in my sister's kitchen either.

    We have always gathered in what we called the den, which is an informal living room or TV room. I don't like being in other people's kitchens.

    In my friend's houses in Mexico City, no one was allowed in the kitchens except for servants.

    amylou321 thanked Lars
  • 4 years ago

    In the past, we gathered where the booze was! The hosting families when I was growing either had a wet bar NOT in the kitchen, or set one up in near, say, a laundry room for the sink. In this house, we don’t usually make cocktails so it’s just wine and beer and soft drinks, and because it is cold here we set up the bar on the unheated glass porch. People hang there for awhile but then they get cold so head back to the living room, or to the study where we had the train table set up.

    I think kitchens are now designed to have people gather in them. Islands and stools really invite it, as does open concept. I think the islands and bar heights started it, then since people were at the island, the kitchen had to open up. Ours is old-school, so we might have a few non-cooks in their with a glass in their hand, but eventually they drift off to other rooms.

    amylou321 thanked bpath
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago



    @bpath...I agree. Open concept kitchens allow people to hang out...and not disturb the cook. THIS is my kitchen, there's a TV to the right, above the planning desk. Just around the corner is a wine cooler, bar area with a commercial ice machine.

    amylou321 thanked User
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    We have people all over when we have a large gathering.

    Kitchen, den, party room, livingroom, front deck, back deck (weather permitting), lawn, even the garage 🙂 🛵🚗🚜🛻

    I usually get a whole bunch of stuff for the kids, if any are coming. Stickers, magnifying glasses, bubbles…that kind of stuff.

    amylou321 thanked User
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Very nice kitchen, nicole!

    eta my do not cross tape would run from island to the near corner and the island and the fridge.😁

    amylou321 thanked User
  • 4 years ago

    @Kathsgrdn, I hope you do not have Covid!

    amylou321 thanked Fun2BHere
  • 4 years ago

    Thanks, Fun2Bhere, me too.

    amylou321 thanked Kathsgrdn
  • 4 years ago

    I usually work on the holidays. This year Christmas falls on my day off. But since I don't usually celebrate it is just another Saturday for me. I could go to family's house but I won't risk catching covid. I trust my brother and SIL but not other guests that I don't know who might be there.

    amylou321 thanked samkarenorkaren
  • 4 years ago

    Stress? Do NOT interfere with my turkey gravy making. One year, SO washed the roasting pan before I was finished with it. No one made better gravy than my mother...except maybe me. So just stay away from that pan.

    amylou321 thanked sealavender
  • 4 years ago

    sealavender - LOL!!

    amylou321 thanked seagrass_gw Cape Cod
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    I haven't been to a family holiday since my dad died in 1968. It used to always be at my mother's house, but after my dad died, she started going to my brother's, and my sister moved away, and back, and away, and unaccounted for sometimes. She didn't get along with very many people...so it was always just Jody and me, until Erin came along in 1980. She finished high school and moved to Houston for university and never moved back. So the concept of family or family celebrations or family getting together for the holidays is kind of foreign to me. Now my mother, brothers, sister, and all in laws, and most of my nieces and nephews, and Jody have passed away. It is just me. Erin spends holidays with her husband's family, which is good, because I am glad for her to be part of a family, although knowing her so well, she probably would rather just spend it with her husband.

    Of course, I miss Jody, but I don't mind being alone. I prefer it. I bought a turkey, but not sure if I will cook it before or after or on the day. Heck, I may just leave it in the freezer. I am expecting company after Thanksgiving....not particularly looking forward to that. I don't mind company but I am ready for them to leave after a couple of days, and I get a sense that he plans to stay awhile. (He is bringing his cat). I have sort of a routine and I like to keep to it, plus I have to be home a lot because a couple of the horses are fed four times a day.

    I do miss all the foods associated with holidays past, and I plan to make several of the ones I like best....probably not all at the same time. My company to-be has already sent his likes and dislikes in that department, and they aren't the same as mine....so we will see. He says we can eat out a lot. Great. Not.

    amylou321 thanked marilyn_c
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Thanksgiving is stressful for me for several reasons.

    We go to DH’s family for the dinner…..which starts too late in the day.


    There is usually not enough food, even though everyone brings assigned items. One small dish of green beans is not enough for 23 people.


    The meal is served late but the booze begins early. It flows feeely, so the mood gets to be

    ” silly silly”. I love fun and humor, which are very different from silly.


    amylou321 thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • 4 years ago

    My biggest stress is just holidays in general. I hate cooking, I hate shopping, I hate decorating and I hate going to any type of holiday gathering. My biggest stress currently is that my new (2 years) daughter in law is a HUGE holiday fanatic. I love her dearly so I try to act all in to it. But deep down I’m just waiting for January. This year they are going to be out of town for xmas. It is also my grandson’s first birthday a few days before xmas so they will be away for that. She is so bummed to not be here for both but I’m fine with it. It’s not like he’ll have any memory of it. I haven’t bought the first gift yet and I just don’t really care to. I used to enjoy it, but over the years I realized I did all of the work and even had to buy myself gifts. Plus we owned a kennel, so I always had to work in and amongst doing all the crap. So I’m just happily not doing any of it.

    amylou321 thanked Annette Holbrook(z7a)