SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirty_gardener

Will it or won't it freeze? Why yes, it definitely will!

dirtygardener
last year
last modified: last year

UPDATE: The weather apps are now calling for three days of temps from 20 to 27. Of course, how bad that will be all depends on how long it stays that cold. Longer than 5 hours, everything is toast. I'm praying that this will change. I've seen the forecast change by 10 degrees in a week, so let's just keep our fingers crossed.

Weather this time of year is so confusing.

Three different weather apps (Accuweather, Dark Sky and Wunderground) and all have different low temps for the next few days. All agree that it will be in the 30s Sunday, but some have it in the upper 30s and one has it at 34.

The week of Christmas, some have it down into the 20s on the 28th and 29th, and one has it in the 40s.

This is the very definition of the saying "If you don't like the weather in FL, wait a day." We all need to wait until at least two days before a predicted cold snap to panic. Admittedly, I have not always adhered to this rule, but over the years, I've learned my microclimate here, so I don't worry as much. In the meantime, get all your plants ready to move or cover or whatever.

This year, I'm not worrying about too much. Below freezing, I'll bring plants in. Otherwise, they get moved into the courtyard up close to the house (if possible) and/or covered.
I'm in an "If they live they live, if they die, they die" frame of mind about gardening now. I have way too many plants to bring them all in like I used to. Now it's survival of the fittest.

Comments (11)