SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kelli_ga

Pencil Tile ledge for shower curtain rod

kelli_ga
last year

I will be installing an alcove bathtub with white tile surround to ceiling (almost - there will be crown moulding at the top). It is a soaking tub and will have a shower curtain (as long as I own the house). My fear is the shower curtain rod falling down. I don’t want to rely on adhesive products or drill into the tile. So I ordered some matching pencil trim to insert all the way around the tiled alcove at a height just under the shower curtain rod. I think it will protrude enough to catch the rod should it become loose. It should protrude 1/4-3/8” beyond the tile.

It has a bullnose but I think it will be enough resistance.

My question is how should I finish the edge that meets the end of the tile where it meets the wall? I have jolly trim to trim the vertical tile edge, but it will be the same thickness as the tile. Do I end this pencil tile before the jolly tile trim? Should I miter/champher it? Should there be grout in the miter? Or should I try to glue it? The website says it is ”composite”. I think it’s supposed to have the feel of ceramic.

Another option is to try to sand/polish the 2 end pieces to create an eased edge. I have done this with matte stone before, but not with polished composite. I have sandpaper and some white scotchbrite scrubbers which I was advised would remove scratches from corian. Do you think that would work and look OK? I think a rounded edge would be best if I can pull it off.

Comments (6)