SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steven_haas

Custom Stain blend samples on Red Oak

Refinishing our floors and I made some sample mock-ups as part of the process. I'm posting them here in hope they may be useful to others.

What I used:

Unfinished red oak stair treads I bought from the home store (about $25 each)

Various Minwax Stains. our contractor uses duraseal but since that is expensive and not easily available in small quanitites and since duraseal is owned by minwax I'm working on the assumption that they will have similar hues (I've read that duraseal will generally finish a tad darker). But I wanted to get in the ball park so this was good enough. So keep that in mind.

Overall I spent <$100

Here are the samples under different locations and lighting conditions.

There are 12 samples in total.

Top row left to right:

Dark Walnut (straight); Dark Walnut/Silvered Grey 1-1; Dark Walnut Silvered Grey 1-2; Dark Walnut/Special Walnut 1-1; Dark Walnut/Classic Grey 1-1; Dark Walnut/Classic Grey 1-2

Bottom row left to right:

Provincial/Classic Grey 1-1; Jacobean/Classic Grey 1-1; Jacobean/Silvered Grey 1-2; Jacobean/Provincial/Classic Grey 2-1-1; Jacobean (straight); Classic Grey (straight)

For reference the first picture is in the foyer which gets a lot of natural light, second is against our kitchen island which is grey, third is against our kitchen cabinets (chocolate) without a lot of natural light. The existing floors are a chocolate brown on red oak.

Adding grey to the mix generally makes brings more cool tones rather than warm tones it also deemphasizes the grain a bit.

Obviously this is not a substitute for putting down real samples on your actual floors but it may help narrow down some choices.

Comments (4)