SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mcarroll16

Another red oak stain question--leaning into the red?

mcarroll16
last year
last modified: last year

We've got flooring installation and refinishing happening in two weeks. I'd love to get advance advice on colors, so I can ask for the best samples off the bat. Finish will be Bona Traffic HD. I think the stain options are also Bona, not sure on that. Kitchen cabinets will be white and natural walnut, and there's a giant pink limestone fireplace in the kitchen and living room. I've got a set of Bona samples, and the colors I like best against walnut are not the colors I think look best against the limestone. Wondering how best to split the difference.

So, with that said, would appreciate answers and opinions to the following questions.

1. How orange will red oak turn over time? Finish will be Bona Traffic, so I know the poly itself won't amber. But how much orange will oak aging contribute, if we go with no stain at all? I'm fine with red tones, but I HATE orange.

2. What floor color do you think is ideal with walnut cabinets (and several walnut furniture items)?

3. What color do you think is ideal with the limestone?

Attaching pictures with samples of our kitchen materials, and a picture of the living room side fireplace. Please ignore the paint color. It's already been changed, and we'll paint again once we see the final new floor color.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County