SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_971822847

Miele W1 Washing Machine- Too small?

elizabeth
2 years ago

Hello!

I've only ever used a standard (American; 4.8-6 cubic feet) sized washing machine and am considering purchasing the compact Miele W1 (2.4 cubic feet). What is your experience with the W1 machine in terms of cleanliness, load size, overall experience?

My main concern is that such a small washer will be a pain in the you-know-where, even if it's supposed to provide years of great quality. It would be used for the laundry of 2 adults and 2 kids.

Thank you!

Comments (31)

• luna123456
    2 years ago

We use the W1 and T1 for a household of 14 people without issues.

If your laundry routine is to save everything for one day, that will be harder. if your open to doing a load every day or two then you will be fine. We find we are better able to sort colors and fabric types with a smaller washer. Loads are the right size when sorted.

Train your kids, if their old enough, how to sort whites and colors. if they can do that, then using the auto soap dispensing will take care of getting the dose correct.

We like ours. As long as your not a save it all for one day person or are open to changing, I think you will be happy. If there is space to put them side by side the top of the washer/dryer act as a great folding area.

• elizabeth
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I didn't think of it that way! Thank you for your response.

Do you have any issues with bedding? Like, winter comforters or large blankets, for example?

• Related Discussions

For MamaP...Miele washing machine video :)

Q

Comments (9)
    The rep was able to fit this thick poly-filled twin(?) comforter into the Little Giant at the local Miele Experience Center. She "threaded" it in, rather than folding it as in the manual for the W4840 comforters cycle. The machine isn't hooked up, so she couldn't wash it. But she said if it fits, it'll wash. She offered to wash it in the W3038 which is hooked up. I declined because that's not my target machine, and I really don't want detergent scent on the comforter. Could've brought my own free-and-clear detergent if I'd thought of it, I guess.
    ...See More

Interesting (Miele W1) Quick Power Wash

Q

Comments (5)
    QuickPowerWash uses the lowest level, similar to other cycles like Cotton or Express. The QPW cycle is not adjustable, but all other cycles on the W1 range allow the user to increase the water level in three steps - similar to the LiGi models. The 2.0 version of the PowerWashSystem does not use any water in the drum in the Cotton and Perm Press cycles (unless the user changes the default setting). Instead the wash load is repeatedly spun and sprayed with wash water during the main wash, while only the heater is submerged to create steam/heat the wash load. Works only with <50% loads. https://youtu.be/gph7DoZ1Zoc
    ...See More

front load washing machine Electorlux 1.5K, speequeen $2k Miele $2.5k

Q

Comments (11)
    thanks for the tips. If I am silly enough to replace the perfectly fine dryer- not entirely my call on that one- then I think I am going with Miele as it may be worth the extra money for a vastly superior product. If I do not buy a new dryer then I think I am going with Electorlux and save $1,500 at least if not $2,000 but I will need to be prepared to go down this road in 10 years again. Sears is going out of business in Canada so there may be deals to be had on Electolux. I know of a good developer friendly - warehouse looking like store just north of Toronto and I will check them out and along with Sears and see if someone gets me a very good value for money deal, sticking to the appliances listed above. (If I can get a Speed Queen for $500 more than electrolux - 50% more- then I am buying it all night and all day etc. as that would be the best value etc.)
    ...See More

Do you know the best way to clean a Miele washing machine?

Q

Comments (18)
    Thanks so much for all the comments. I had contacted Miele before and they too suggested running the machine on Sanitize with no soap or clothes. So I did that and it helped. I had read that using vinegar was helpful and I was wondering if any of you have done that. I also have a de-scaler for Miele and I will try that. I am now using only 1 T of Miele powdered soap, as Miele suggested, instead of the 2 that I used before. I think it is getting better. Some things will take some time to whiten up enough I think. I have had this machine since 2001 and it has been fine until this problem. I love the Miele but front loaders do have some disadvantages. You have fewer options like being able to stop the program and add or take out things, etc.
    ...See More
  • jwvideo
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@elizabeth - for some other resources to check, have you seen this very long running thread on the W1 washers & T1 dryers? - https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5434365/miele-w1-t1-washer-dreyr#n=985 If you haven't seen it yet, it would be worth your while to check it out while waiting for further responses here. To see all the posts, remember to click on "see more comments" which you will find at top immediately after the original post and Houzz's "featured answer."

Also, there is another thread here which is specifically about washing bedding (including king-size blankets and down comforters) in W-1 washers, which you can find here: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5820932/miele-washer-and-dryer-w-1-t-1-capacity-king-duvet

If you haven't visited automaticwasher.org, that's another place you might find helpful. Here's an example of a potentially helpful discussion from the washer enthusiasts who congregate there: https://www.automaticwasher.org/cgi-bin/TD/TD-VIEWTHREAD.cgi?83323

When I was looking at washers a couple of years ago, I ran across some youtube videos such as this one which shows a king size down duvet (aka comforter) being washed in a European W-1 model. This video was made before the W-1 line was released in the North American market but the capacities would be the same. The link, if you want it, is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGA0k0Z56FM

FWIW, I also found similar videos for Bosch and Electrolux compact washer models.

• luna123456
    2 years ago

@elizabeth

For bulky items it really depends on what they are made of. If they are down then it will be no problem as the down has a lot of air space that goes way down when it gets wet. If they are filled with a polyester or other synthetic material then it may be a tighter fit.

Almost all of our large comforters are down filled and it has not been an issue. All of my kids have tein or full size beds so there is zero size issue there. The kids have wool top blankets and those only get washed once or maybe twice a year unless they spill something on them. They last forever, are easy to wash in the Miele, keep the kids warm, etc. We hang them over a ledge in the house and air dry them.

Down must be dryed in the dryer. since it is sealed inside the comforter it is very hard to get fully dry without the dryer.

• armjim
    2 years ago

Based on the experience with the Miele in our family, 2.4 cu in is too small if you want to wash queen bedding and get it thoroughly clean. Also, I am not a big proponent of doing laundry each and every day because the machine is too small. You need to consider how you want to allocate your time each day. A 3.5 or larger machine is going to allow you to do fewer loads so you have time to do other things you need or want to do.

• RoyHobbs
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I agree with @armjim’s comment. It’s too small for a family of 4. I would advise you to go to where there is one on display, bring with you a couple sets of sheets and a few towels (all clean of course), and see what can fit. And don’t be swayed by a salesperson saying ”when they’re wet they’ll fit better”. That doesn’t help when you are struggling to stuff your laundry in.

For a family of 4, I like the LG - but only the ones with the onboard heater.

• Hochwertiger Trockner
    2 years ago

We are 3 months in with our first W1, two adults, lots of pets, horses, king sized down duvets and flannel sheets, ski clothes, wool sweaters... love it. No problem with getting them clean. I have learned to enjoy the more separated loads of fabric type and color. I really like the TwinDos system (also dialed down the amount used per load). I recently used first CAP dosing system, testing on one of many of my spouse's cashmere sweaters and wow what a nice job. Also first CAP dosing for fleece outdoor clothes, AND waterproofing with the DWR CAP. I'm in heaven compared to 20 year old front loader. The ONLY issue I have had was with the T1 - learning to dry the king-sized flannel sheets as they twist so much in 10 minutes they wouldn't dry. But each king sheet dried easily alone in 30 minutes. But I admit I didn't use the bed linen option for less knotting in the dryer (because there are so many choices to learn); might try that this weekend. Also still figuring out how to change plinth sensitivity as it wants to be cleaned too often for my taste. Last week experimented with capturing the T1's water - after three loads had nearly a quart of water, COOL! Good luck with whatever you choose!

• Stephen
    2 years ago

I never thought about capturing the water vs just draining it. i bet that would be good to use in the humidifer!

• luna123456
    2 years ago

You will start dreaming of ways to use the condensed water in the next wash cycle in some way. Like a connection from the dryer to the washer. Probably coming in some future model. Maybe when water/sewer rates get high enough.

• Hochwertiger Trockner
    2 years ago

I’d love to use it in our CPAP that requires distilled water but obviously the plumbing in the T1 is not designed to maintain sterility. But houseplants… now there’s an idea.

• davegvg
    last year
    last modified: last year

IF you sort your laundry by color, type and temps, no its not to small.

IF you throw everything into one giant batch and wash it on cold with regularity yes.

It has no problem with my king bed sheets.

The spin speed lets you air dry in very little time and the water heater blasts clean stains that other units leave.

Between this and my 4.5 CF Electrolux which is a pretty nice and large machine there absolutely no contest on which one I left with the renter....he gets the eletrolux.

• F L
    last year

I am debating the same. However in my last home I had the ASKO w/d and it was their larger capacity. It was wonderful. Their dryer is also larger and in the washer no rubber ring for mold. I am not sure if I can put it in my condo as we are wanting a 24" depth and this larger under counter compact w/d is 29" depth. So I am trying to see if the Miele will be okay for king comforter/pillows. I used my Asko with this and it was really fantastic, I would look into it, sold at AJ Madison and ABT in chicago and all over. Def look at it.

• Julie K
    last year

We recently got the Miele Mtouch W&D and absolutely love them!

We can wash our bedding (King flat + King fitted + 4 standard pillowcases) in a single load. Plus our sheets don't get tangled in our dryer as long as I use the Sheets setting to dry them.

However, we found out the hard way that our washer is way too small to wash our King comforter (synthetic down-like fill, not true down). I think it may be okay for a Queen, but our King was a no go! I wouldn't dream of washing our pillows in our new Miele. The tub is way too small.

• davegvg
    last year

Totally beleive you - I dont use a "comforter" but 2 top covers. I can do the whole bed and one of them in my W1 and I do the second one and the dog blanket in load 2.

• F L
    last year

Thank you both! so no to pillows, or down alternative, yes to the dog blanket (we have the same one in cream). Question to you both, do you find that the rubber ring around the opening gets moldy or do you clean it dry after use? I appreciate the input!

• Julie K
    last year

We've only had our units six weeks, so I don't think I'm qualified to answer your question about mold. I've experienced no mold/smells coming from our washer.

Also, I don't clean it dry after running a load or dry the rubber ring. However, I do leave the door open for a few hours after each use. I also run an extra hot cycle weekly when I wash our towels/sheets. I believe luna123456 (resident Houzz expert on Miele W&Ds) suggested doing this to prevent mold issues.

Hope that helps!

• Hippo
    last year

I have owned Miele washers for years and have never had mold or smell issues. I wash towels and bedding at 60C and leave the door open but I don’t clean the seal. The seal has drain holes so water does not collect.

We do not have a king bed but our heaviest queen comforter is significantly less than a full load. Six queen cotton sheets is also less than a full load.

I can wash two pillows at a time in the machine with no problems. Just limit the spin to 1200rpm since 1600rpm exerts so much force that it can permanently rearrange the pillow fill.

When washing towels or cottons you can fill the drum on a Miele completely full and achieve excellent results.

The ostensibly larger capacity of American-style washing machines is largely illusory. For example, Samsung’s website states that a “large load” corresponds 3lb per cubic foot of capacity. If this is to be taken as the capacity limit of the washer, their 5.0 cubic foot “Extra Large Capacity” models would wash about 15lb, less than the 18lb capacity of US market Miele compact washers.

• davegvg
    last year

I had no mold on my previous W1215 and never replaced teh door seal in over 10K cycles.

Ive had mine since 2018 and never bother to leave the door open and have no issues.

The occasinal 120/ 140 load seems to keep anything that might start growing at bay.

The other reason you dont get that in a miele is that the outer drum you dont see is polished SS and mold cant get a foothold on it to grow. Almost everything else uses a plastic outer drum and we know where that goes.....

• littlegreeny
    last year

I also have the Miele M-Touch WXR860/TXR860 and am able to wash two king-size pillows in one load. Just make sure each pillow has the same amount of fill.

I use Tide F&G in the TwinDos cartridge as well as Tide Free powder depending on the load. I never wash in cold and run plenty of 120 and 140F cycles.

At the end of each washday, I wipe the seal dry and remove the dispenser drawer and dry it as well as the inside of the cavity with a microfiber cloth. That might be overkill but my machine smells fresh and looks brand new.

• Julie K
    last year

@littlegreeny, is your detergent/bleach drawer (the little pull-out drawer on the top of the machine) wet after you run a load using TwinDos? I've noticed the drawer is always wet after I run a cycle, even if the wash cycle doesn't include a Pre-Wash/Bleach cycle. We only use TwinDos cartridges with Miele detergent in our machine.

• littlegreeny
    last year

@Julie K yes, the washer always fills via the drawer but only the main wash and softener trays are wet in mine, unless I select prewash. My machine is unable to dispense bleach due to known issue in North America but that's not a problem for me since I don't use chlorine bleach.

• Julie K
    last year

@littlegreeny, that's good to know! I haven't paid attention to see which compartments are wet after a wash but will look the next time I run a load. Like you we don't use/like LCB. I've found the Miele TwinDos detergents work really well and I love the set and forget feature so plan to continue with TD!

I just wish they'd let me switch out my free 6 month supply for the fragrance-free version. I'd gladly pay an upcharge if I could get that version versus the standard version for the free detergent promo. ;-)

• littlegreeny
    last year

@Julie K totally agree! The regular TwinDos detergent is too strongly fragranced for us. The TwinDos Sensitive is fantastic and I was very disappointed they don't offer the free 6-month supply. I even called my contact at the local Miele Experience Center and she said they won't do it for whatever reason. I still have my coupon hoping they change their mind.

Good news is only the phase 1 has perfume. Phase 2 is unscented but does have optical brighteners (OBs). Phase 2 unscented is OB free.

• Julie K
    last year

The scent is SO strong! We always use the light soil setting (two adults, very little staining on clothes) and really low dosage on both Phase 1 and 2 but the scent is very noticeable!

If the Sensitive (unscented) Phase 2 is OB free, then how does it affect the performance when cleaning whites? We have white cotton sheets and white towels so we definitely need OBs since we don't use chlorine bleach in our wash.

Thankfully our installer warned us against adding/using the fragrance pod in our dryer. He said he's heard lots of complaints from people about the strong scent.

• littlegreeny
    last year

Yes, the scent is too strong! I didn't want to waste the detergent that came with the washer so tried using just a few milliliters per load and even that was too strong. I thought I'd at least use it to clean my toilets but even then it was too strong so I had to throw it out.

OBs only give the appearance of whiteness, they do not actually clean or whiten fabrics. The main ingredient in the phase 2 is hydrogen peroxide which will bleach out stains and help whiten whites. No OBs are needed for your whites.

And I immediately threw out the fragrance flacon that came with the dryer.

• F L
    last year

@littlegreeny in the US models you cannot use bleach? Just curious. And I don't mean to sound stupid but what is OB? Do you own any other Miele appliances you are happy with ? your input along with every one else's has been so helpful! Thank you very much for taking the time!

• luna123456
    last year

You can use bleach the problem is that the slot in the pull out drawer where you put the bleach does not get flushed into the washer during the main wash. It is a software bug. the work around is to add the bleach to the main detergent slot after the washer does it’s first flush of that drawer. You only get a couple minutes to do it, but thst is a work around.

Most people who switch to oxygen bleach dont go back to chlorine bleach.

OB could be Optical Brighteners or Oxygen Bleach.

Optical Brighteners are chemicals that reflect only certain colors of visible light. This tricks your eyes to thinking things are white. They do nothing to actually clean clothes. Many people have allergies to optical brightening chemicals and they are usually considered an environmental pollutant.

• littlegreeny
    last year

@F L OBs refers to optical brighteners and Luna provided a good explaination as to why they aren't needed.

I own a Miele Jazz upright vacuum (now unfortunately discontinued) that I absolutely love.

For those who own or are considering a W1 with TwinDos, you don't need to worry about using extra bleach. The washer will automatically dispense more oxygen bleach when you select whites vs. colors.

• Mark
    last year

@littlegreeny

Have you ever tried Miele Ultra White powder with your new W1 ?

• littlegreeny
    last year

@Mark, no I have not. I do not care for scented products and that's why I haven't tried it. I've heard nothing but good things about it though.