SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Accidentally bought six 6 lb 9 oz cans of tomatoes

Lars
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

When I learned about tomato prices predicted to go up in the near future, I decided to order six cans of 6-in-1 tomatoes, which can be difficult to find at any time. I've normally bought these tomatoes in 28 oz cans, and I seem to remember that they cost between $3 and $5 a can when bought six at a time.

Anyway, I found them on Instacart for $4.59 a can and thought that was a good price, and so I ordered a carton of six cans. However, I did not realize that I had ordered 105 oz cans instead of 28 oz cans - huge difference.

I think the 105 oz cans are meant for restaurants, and so now I am wondering how I should store/manage leftover tomatoes. When I open a can to use for pizza sauce, I only want 24 oz at most, and I use tiny amounts of that on each pizza. I use the rest on pasta or in rice, but I cannot use more than 28 oz of tomatoes without some of it going bad in the refrigerator.

How should I package and store leftover tomatoes? I want to divide each can into four containers, one I will keep in the fridge, and three I would have to freeze.

What is the best way to store and freeze the rest? Can I put them in jars, vacuum seal them, and then freeze them like that? I don't want the jars to break. Do I need to use plastic containers? Are freezer bags the best way to store them? I think that if I use bags, I will have to divide them into even smaller amounts, but that is okay.

I was really surprised and how cheap he 105 oz cans are. They are very close to what I have paid for 28 oz cans, and this is what threw me off - I was paying attention to price instead of size.

Comments (11)