Houzz Logo Print
thibeaultstable

Cookalong #3 - Carrots

ann_t
11 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 16, 09 at 19:43

Sheshebop has picked CARROTS for our next Cookalong focus ingredient.
Before you groan.... think about the wide variety of things made from carrots. There's many desserts, breads, salads and main dishes in addition to carrots cooked as a vegetable.

So let's get creative!

Our virtual dinner will be Sat Feb 28.

For those that may have missed the first Cookalong..... the idea here is to post hints, recipes and discuss the focus ingredient over the next two weeks. Recipes can use any form of the ingredient. Please mention the recipe source and whether it is one that you have already made (T+T) or one that you might be trying for the first time.

I'm going to make an attempt to link all the cookalongs together.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #2---Garlic
Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cookalong #3---Carrots Thread #1
clip this post email this post what is this?
see most clipped and recent clippings

* Posted by ann_t (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 16, 09 at 21:14

Okay, well that was just plain mean of Sherry.

Ann

o

* Posted by publickman (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 16, 09 at 21:32

I don't have a recipe for it, but I do like ginger carrot soup. I have two carrots in the fridge that I bought for making soup stock, but I have to buy a chicken first. I have never made ginger carrot soup, and so if someone can suggest a good recipe, I could possibly try that.

Here's a partial recipe I ran across while cleaning my desk today. It is for Vietnamese dipping sauce, but it has no quantities! I simply make it to taste.

Ingredients:
fish sauce
lime juice
fresh minced Serrano chili
julienned carrot
sugar
cilantro

Carrot is not a main ingredient, but it's definitely in there. I sometimes add grated carrot to egg rolls or summer rolls, although I haven't made those recently. I think I'm in the mood for some of those now, however.

I use no more than half a carrot when I make chicken stock, or else it tastes too sweet for me. Except for the ginger soup, I can only take carrots in tiny doses - but I love ginger, and so that makes it all better.

I just remembered that the first cookalong was Ginger, and so I went to that thread (which I had not read up to this point), and found Lindac's ginger carrot soup recipe. I guess I'm a bit behind here.

Lars

o

* Posted by lakeguy35 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 16, 09 at 21:40

The first thing I thought of was dessert..LOL! I love, love this recipe/cake!

Posted by: DanaIN (My Page) on Mon, Jun 7, 04 at 9

Classic Carrot Cake
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
allspice substitute is equal amounts each:
ground cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg & pepper
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups shredded or grated carrots
1 cup chopped pecans

Cream Cheese Frosting

1 pound powdered sugar (4 cups)
8 oz. Cream cheese; softened
1 stick butter or margarine; softened
2 teaspoons vanilla
Combine all ingredients and mix well with electric mixer

. Pre-heat oven to 350. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans. Sift
flour, baking powder, soda, salt and spices together. Beat oil, eggs,
sugar and brown sugar at medium speed for 2 minutes or until well
blended. Stir in orange juice and vanilla. Beat in flour mixture on
lowest speed, just until blended. Stir in carrots and nuts until
combines. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean.

Cool completely before filling and frosting

I had my eye on this one for the ginger cookalong.

Ginger Carrot Soup (LindaC)
2 tablespoons sweet cream butter
2 onions, peeled and chopped
6 cups chicken broth
2 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
1 cup whipping cream
Salt and white pepper
Sour cream
Parsley sprigs, for garnish
In a 6-quart pan, over medium high heat, add butter and onions and cook, stirring often, until onions are limp. Add broth, carrots, and ginger. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are tender when pierced.
Remove from heat and transfer to a blender. Don't fill the blender more than half way, do it in batches if you have to. Cover the blender and then hold a kitchen towel over the top of the blender*. Be careful when blending hot liquids as the mixture can spurt out of the blender. Pulse the blender to start it and then puree until smooth. Return to the pan and add cream, stir over high heat until hot. For a smoother flavor bring soup to a boil, add salt and pepper, to taste.
Ladle into bowls and garnish with dollop sour cream and parsley sprigs.
*When blending hot liquids: Remove liquid from the heat and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes. Transfer liquid to a blender or food processor and fill it no more than halfway. If using a blender, release one corner of the lid. This prevents the vacuum effect that creates heat explosions. Place a towel over the top of the machine, pulse a few times then process on high speed until smooth.
Recipe courtesy Maxine Bonneau
Show: All American Festivals
Episode: Carrot Festival

David

o

* Posted by lindac (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 16, 09 at 22:33

And I will still be out of town....but I would like to suggest carrot cake....
I might even cook a virtual meal....2 carrot cakes....one as a main dish and the other for dessert!!

o

* Posted by mustangs (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 16, 09 at 22:43

Linda, Great suggestion! I might have to replicate your menu. I had rum cake and raspberry bars for dinner tonight so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Honey Roasted Vegetables
# 2 sweet potatoes, cubed
# 2 turnips, cubed
# 2 parsnips, chunked
# 2 carrots, chunked
# 2 shallots, split and trimmed
# 1/4 cup honey
# 2 tbls olive oil
# 1/2 tsp salt
# Pepper to taste

Combine all vegetables in a large bowl, mix honey and olive oil and pour over veggies. Toss well to cover veggies with oil/honey mixture. Salt and pepper to taste.

Pour veggies onto a jelly roll pan sprayed with cooking spray and roast at 450 for 35-45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.

Makes 4 servings.

o

* Posted by trsinc (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 16, 09 at 22:49

Ann_t, lol. :-)

I haven't had carrot cake in many years. I can't wait to see all of the recipes for it. Carrot cake makes me feel like it's something healthy.

I love a sweet/hot or sweet/herb flavor (sweet being the carrots) so I often boil carrots and dress with garlic and rosemary (fav) or garlic and hot pepper flakes, cilantro, etc. Tonight I boiled carrots and added some very small chile peppers half way through. Drain, add some butter and salt.

This will be fun to research and see what everyone comes up with.

o

* Posted by caliloo (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 09 at 5:31

I must admit, as soon as I saw the title I thouight of Ann T! LOL! Poor thing, there will be moe you can participate in. I love the Carrot Cake recipe David posted, it i my absolute fav but I will be looking for some differet ideas too. Also, I don't know if this is allowed (grin) I posted this same recipe for the ginger thread, but since it fits both categories then here goes!

Carrot Ginger Soup with Coconut Roasted Shrimp
HEALTHY
ACTIVE TIME: 30 MIN
TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
SERVES: 6
The Good News A little coconut milk and shredded coconut soften the spicy edge of this soup while adding just a small amount of fat.
ingredients
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
4 large carrots (3/4 pound), chopped
1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 tablespoon smooth peanut butter
1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
1 cup skim milk
1/4 cup light coconut milk
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
16 large shrimp, shelled
1 1/2 tablespoons shredded coconut
Pinch of cayenne pepper
directions
Preheat the oven to 425°. In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the carrots, ginger and crushed red pepper and cook for 6 minutes. Add the broth and bring to a boil, then simmer until the carrots are very tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, peanut butter and sesame oil.
In a blender, puree the soup until smooth. Return it to the saucepan and stir in the skim milk and coconut milk. Season the soup with salt and pepper and keep warm.
Toss the shrimp with the coconut, cayenne and remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Spread the shrimp on a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast for 8 minutes, or until pink. Ladle the carrot-ginger soup into warmed bowls and garnish with the coconut shrimp.
NOTES One Serving 230 cal, 11 gm total fat, 3.6 gm saturated fat, 17 gm carb, 3 gm fiber.
Crispy Coconut Shrimp
Ingredients:
24 medium Shrimp
3/4 cup Flour
1/2 tsp Garlic and herb seasoning
1 Egg, well beaten
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
1/4 cup shredded Coconut
Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray large baking sheet with non-stick spray. Sprinkle shrimp evenly with seasoning blend and pepper. Place flour, egg, and coconut in three small separate bowls. Dip shrimp first in egg, then flour, then back in egg, then generously in coconut. Arrange shrimp on baking sheet. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden and crisp. Serve with dipping sauce. Makes 4 servings.

This is another side dish I make often. I love the combination of cardamom and carrots!

Cardamom Glazed Carrots

Serves 4

Ingredients

1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound spring baby carrots, washed and unpeeled
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
½ teaspoon sea salt
Freshly ground white pepper, to taste
¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
Zest of ½ orange
½ of a fresh lemon
Chopped chervil, for garnish

Preparation

Heat olive oil in a large pan or skillet over medium-low heat. Add butter and melt, stirring to incorporate. Add carrots and cardamom. Toss with salt and pepper. Increase heat to medium, and add the orange juice. Cover the pan and cook over medium heat until carrots are just tender, about 5 minutes.

Remove the lid and bring to a boil, cooking off the excess liquid. Remove the pan from the heat, add orange zest and toss. Place in a warmed bowl, sprinkle with chervil leaves and taste. Add a drizzle of fresh lemon juice just to brighten the flavors. Serve immediately.

o

* Posted by ruthanna (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 09 at 7:27

What a great ingredient - inexpensive and so versatile. I never liked cooked carrots much until about 25 years ago and now I go through at least a pound a week. I use them in soups and stews but on their own too. I refuse to buy or eat those chlorinated, tasteless baby carrots though.

I've posted this recipe before but it's one of our favorite salads for lunch, especially in winter.

MARRAKESH CARROTS 4 servings

1 pound whole carrots, peeled and trimmed
1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
3 Tbs. olive oil
1 tsp. sweet paprika
½ tsp. ground cumin
3/4 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
2 Tbs. minced fresh parsley

Place the carrots in a pot of cold water over medium heat and bring to a boil. Cook until soft but not mushy, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and cool under cold water.

Meanwhile, place the lemon juice in a medium bowl. Whisk in the oil and then the remaining ingredients except parsley.

Cut the carrots into bite-sized dice. Add to the dressing and toss. Stir in parsley. Season with additional salt or spices to taste.

For about 20 years, I've cooked most of my meals for the following week on Saturday mornings. This baked pork and carrot dish reheats easily in the microwave so is often part of the cook-a-thon. For the pork, I like to bone and cube lean country style spare ribs, then use the bones for soup broth. That cut is aften on sale at the farmers' market in winter, when not as many people are buying them for grilling. It's best with the dark green celery leaves, if you can get celery with untrimmed tops.

PORK & CARROT CASSEROLE

2 Tbs. salad oil
1 to 1 1/2 lbs. pork pieces, cut into 1 inch chunks
2 large carrots, peeled
1 medium onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup lightly packed chopped celery leaves
1 Tbs. brown sugar
3 Tbs. dry red wine
1 tsp. salt (or less to taste
1/4 tsp. pepper

In skillet over high heat, brown pork cubes in oil, stirring frequently. With slotted spoon, remove meat to 1 1/2 qt. casserole.

Meanwhile, cut each carrot crosswise into thirds, then lengthwise into thin slices. Cut onion in half lengthwise, then crosswise into thin slices.

Preheat over to 350. In drippings remaining in skillet over medium heat, cook carrots and onions until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Add remaining ingredients and heat to boiling, stirring to loosen any brown bits from bottom of skillet. Pour sauce into casserole with meat, stirring to mix. Cover casserole and bake 45 minutes to one hour, or until meat is tender.

Good served with mashed potatoes or egg noodles.

o

* Posted by canarybird (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 09 at 8:08

Good choice for this week! As a kid I hated carrots too but grew to like them as I got older.

A carrot a day is recommended to reduce risk of heart attack. A Harvard study showed that those who eat five carrots a week are less likely to suffer a stroke than those who eat one per month. The beta-carotene in carrots is converted to vitamin A which helps prevent cataracts and has shown to decrease the likelihood of certain types of cancer.
Here's one link with more information, although I think we all know carrots are a super healthy food. Okay I'll get down off my box now.

We have carrot nearly every day though, either grated into salad or steamed as part of a vegetable mixture.

I can second David's choice of Marilyn's (DanaIN) carrot cake and icing. It is the best! But I'm looking around to see if I have anything that doesn't have too many calories and I might pick World's Best Meatloaf which has grated carrot in it and I haven't made it for a while.

WORLD'S BEST MEATLOAF

1 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs - (tear up soft sliced bread - don't use fine crumbs as for breading)
1 1/2 lb ground meat (beef or pork & beef) (about 700 grams)
1 beaten egg
1 onion chopped fine
1/4 teasp dry Colman's (or similar) mustard
1/8 teasp ground sage
1/2 teasp ground thyme
1 1/2 teasp salt

1/4 teas pepper
1/8 teasp nutmeg
1 chopped green pepper
1 tin condensed tomato soup (eg Campbells's)
3/4 cup grated celery
3/4 cup grated carrot

1) Mix meat with egg, add onion and seasonings and bread crumbs, greens and carrots

2) Add half the tin of soup and mix everything well. Turn into greased loaf pan or glass casserole dish 8.5 x 11 inches and pour remaining soup over the top, smoothing it evenly over all.

3)Bake 350 F (177 C) for 1 1/4 hours.

Plated

Source: American Pro Footbal Player's Wife in 1963

My Notes:

1) I use 'tomate frito' instead of the condensed soup. It's a rich fried Spanish tomato puree but otherwise condensed soup is good. Never use ketchup !
2) I usually double the amount of the ground spices with the exception of salt.

SharonCb

Here is a link that might be useful: A Carrot a Day
o

* Posted by punamytsike (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 09 at 8:35

I do not like cooked carrots, so it is really weird that I like them in carrot pie (in English you might call it different than pie). You use bread dough and make either sweet or salty filling with carrots that goes between two layers of dough. Really good. I might try to bake it this weekend to remember my youth and honor my mom. If anyone is interested, I will translate the instructions for the filling :)

o

* Posted by chase (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 09 at 8:37

Ann make pot pie and pick out the carrots! LOL

I don't use carrots as often as I should so I'll be interested in the recipes.

This recipe from Joe is very tasty.

Chinese Pork A L'orange

1 Lb pork tenderloin
1 Tbl soy sauce
1 Tsp sesame oil
1 Clove garlic minced
2 cross slices ginger root peeled and minced
1/2 Tsp ground white pepper
1 Tbl corn starch
1 Tbl grated orange rind
3/4 Cup orange juice
1 Tbl cornstarch
1 Tbl soy sauce
1/4 Cup corn syrup
4 Tsp peanut oil divided
2 large carrots peeled and sliced diagonally ("Chinois")
2 stalks celery peeled and sliced diagonally
1/2 Cup cashews

Cut pork tenderloin into thin strips, about 2-3 inches long, 3/4-inch wide and 1/8-inch thick. Mix in a bowl with the soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, gingerroot, white pepper and corn starch. Allow to marinade 15-30 minutes.

Combine next six ingredients, stirring well.

Heat two teaspoons oil in wok or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrots and celery, stir-frying about 3 minutes. Remove vegetables, set aside. Pour remaining oil into skillet. Add pork, stir-fry for about 3 minutes.

Return vegetables to pan, add orange juice mixture and cashews. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-high heat, until thickened.
Serve over hot rice or with lo mein noodles.

Joe

Here is a great carrot casserole I often serve at Christmas but usually Easter.

Baked Baby Carrot Gratin With Horseradish Crumbs

2 Lb fresh baby carrots

Veloute Sauce
2 Tbl butter
1 small onion finely chopped
3 Tbl flour
2 1/2 Cup vegetable or chicken stock
2 Tsp lemon juice
1 Tsp Dijon mustard

Crumb Topping

1 Cup fresh bread crumbs
1/2 Cup parmesan cheese
1 Tbl Horseradish squeezed dry
2 Tsp fresh thyme
1/4 Tsp salt
1/4 Tsp pepper
2 Tbl butter melted

Preheat oven to 375.

Butter a 8 1/2 X 12 gratin dish or a 7 X 11 baking dish. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook carrots for about 8 minutes until cooked but still crisp. Drain and spread out in the prepared dish.

While carrots are cooking make sauce. Melt butter in a medium pan over medium heat. Add onion, cook until soft, Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and gradually stir in stock. Return to the heat and cook until mixture thickens and boils. Add lemon juice and mustard. Drain through a fine sieve, pour over top of carrots.

Combine ingredients for the crumbs and scatter over the carrots. Bake for 20 minutes, until sauce bubbles and crumbs are golden. OR cover and refrigerate until needed. Bake cold gratin for 35 to 40 minutes.

o

* Posted by sushipup (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 09 at 8:39

I like cooked carrots, but not raw. My standard way of cooking carrots is to cook in a small amount of water, drain, add butter and a tablespoon of orange marmalade. I don't eat jams and jellies, but keep some marmalade just for my carrots.

o

* Posted by compumom (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 09 at 9:08

Ann, I'm sure you can find a way to hide their taste in some tasty dish like a meatloaf, LOL...darfc!

Just kidding, but here are two on my to try list:

Carrot Souffle (a 2001 Holiday Recipe Contest runner up--I have no idea the source of this recipe) 8 servings
1 lb. carrots, peeled & chopped
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 c. butter or margarine, melted
1/2 c. sugar
3 T all-purpose flour
1 t. baking powder
1 t. vanilla extract

Bring carrots & water to cover to boil in a med. saucepan; cook 45 min. or until tender. Drain. Process carrots in food processor until smooth. Stir together puree, eggs, & remaining ingredients. Spoon into lightly greased 1 qt. baking dish. Bake 350 45 min. or until set. (Trish Conroy)

Carrot and Ginger Soup
The Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook (Eileen/barnmom)
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced
7 cups chicken stock
1 cup dry white wine
1-1/2 lbs carrots, peeled and cut into half-inch pieces
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
pinch curry powder
salt and pepper, to taste
Snipped fresh chives or chopped fresh parsley for garnish
Melt the butter in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the onion, ginger and garlic and saute for 15 to 20 minutes.
Add the stock, wine and carrots. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered over medium heat until the carrots are very tender, about 45 minutes.
Puree the soup in a blender or food processor fitted with a steel blade. Season with lemon juice, curry powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot or chilled. Serves 6.

DH and I love carrots and two of my easy go to veggie options are sauteed carrots with dried basil or orange carrots (sauteed in oj concentrate--I love the new Langers brand for cooking purposes).

o

* Posted by sally2 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 09 at 9:35

What's wrong with carrots? Why would we groan? I love using carrots in all kinds of ways. If I want a different kind of salad, I'll grate some carrots, an apple, and add spices like cumin, cinnamon, some lemon juice, and some dried cranberries, if I remember the recipe correctly. I'll have to review the recipe when I get home from work tonight. I don't have time now.

I also love carrot cake and carrot soup. I love roasted carrots, oh, and don't mind eating them raw. I'm with you, though, on those fake "baby" carrots.

I just planted a bunch of carrot seeds in my garden last week. I don't think they'll be ready in time for this cook-off, though. lol

Sally

o

* Posted by ann_t (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 09 at 9:39

I think I'll sit this one out and wait for the next ingredient.

I actually like Carrot Cake but I don't really want to make another one. Too big for two.

Ann

o

* Posted by mustangs (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 09 at 9:48

Punamytsike, A kind thought about honoring your mother. I'll take you up on the translation.

Cathy

o

* Posted by caboodle (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 09 at 10:00

I love carrots! I's so glad you chose them. I especially love roasted carrots.

Here's a super simple recipe for scalloped carrots that I have liked a lot (and a long time - since I was a kid, in fact). You don't mix the cheese in the sauce, you layer it thus it remains more 'there' instead of becoming one with the sauce. :)

Cheese Scalloped Carrots

6 medium carrots, sliced and cooked
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

sauce:
2 T chopped onion
2 T butter
2 T flour
1/2 tsp salt
pinch dry mustard
pepper
1 cup milk

buttered bread crumbs (or whatever topping you prefer)

Make a layer using half the carrots, half the cheese, then half the sauce. Repeat and top with buttered crumbs.

Bake at 350 for 25 or so minutes; till heated through.

Judi

o

* Posted by annie1992 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 09 at 10:10

AnnT, somehow I knew you'd sit this one out. I'm going to have to sit with you.

I do like carrots, but I'll still be in Texas. Maybe I can find something with carrots to have for lunch with Brenda that day, LOL.

I had to sit out the garlic cookalong because Elery came home to cook dinner for me for Valentine's Day, now I'm out of town for this one.

Maybe the next one, although I'd just love a piece of carrot cake right now.

Annie

o
RE: Cookalong #3---Carrots Thread #1 ---a carrot recipe

* Posted by caboodle (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 09 at 10:13

This looks good,. I've had the recipe stashed for a while and I'm not sure where I got it. I'll probably cut it in half and use dried rosemary (since I don't have fresh).

Carrots & Parsnips with Rosemary

8 carrots
8 parsnips
1 branch fresh rosemary
3 cups chicken stock
6 tbls chilled butter
Salt & pepper to taste

Cut carrots and parsnips into thin, 2-3 inch julienne strips. Chop the rosemary leaves.

Bring stock to a simmer. Blanch the carrots in the stock until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and cook the parsnips in the same stock until tender, about 3 minutes. Remove parsnips.

Boil the stock until reduced to 1/3 cup, about 25 minutes. Swirl in the butter. Stir in the rosemary, carrots and parsnips. Season to taste with salt & pepper.

Judi

o

* Posted by amck (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 09 at 14:22

DH's favorite dessert is Carrot Cake. He orders it for dessert whenever we eat out because I rarely make it. I like trying out new things when we're entertaining, and it's just too tempting for me to have around now that it's just the two of us. I think I will make one for the cookalong, but I'd like to try something new, as well.

o

* Posted by dixiedog_2007 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 09 at 14:38

I think this sounds good but I have not tried it.

Vegan Visitor - Internet

ASIAN PEA & CARROT SALAD

1/2 Lb Snow Peas, thinly sliced lengthwise, julienne
1 Lb Baby Carrots, thinly sliced lengthwise, matchsticks
1 teaspoon Freshly Grated Ginger, peeled
4 Tablespoons Toasted Sesame Seed Oil
2 Tablespoons Rice Wine Vinegar
Pinch Sugar
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 Tablespoons Sesame seeds, black if you can find them

In a small bowl, whisk together the sesame oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper.

If using regular white sesame seeds, lightly toast them in a dry pan until they just become golden over a medium-high heat. If using the black sesame seeds, you may skip this step.

Wash and thinly slice the vegetables. Toss them together in your serving bowl with your fingers to mix.

Drizzle and toss the dressing over the peas and carrots.
Sprinkle over the sesame seeds to serve.

I love carrot raw in my salads and cooked with Pot Roast and Beef Stew. Cooked carrots with maple syrup or honey are quite good.

Linda's soup sounds very good.

Carrot Cake is one of my favorites and was my Dad's too. I've made Carrot Cake in a loaf type form in the past so it is not a large cake because that's a lot for us also if just eating by ourselves. I'll have to dig up that recipe but very similar to others.

o
RE: Cookalong #3---Carrots Thread #1.1

* Posted by dixiedog_2007 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 09 at 14:44

I just thought about this also. I have never tried it but have come close to doing it just to see what it tastes like. I have it in one of her cookbooks plus have seen her cook it on the show. It's different but she does do some pretty decent dishes. *NOTE: I read reviews and people liked it very much but said to drain better because it seemed too "wet" to them.

Barefoot Carrot Salad
2007, Ina Garten, All Rights Reserved
Prep Time: hr min Inactive Prep Time: hr min Cook Time: hr min Level:
Easy Serves:
2 to 3 servings

1/3 cup golden raisins
1 pound carrots
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup diced fresh pineapple

Place the raisins in a small bowl and cover with boiling water. Allow to sit for 5 minutes and then drain.

Fit a food processor with the grating blade. Cut the carrots in half and place in the feed tube so they are lying on their sides. Process in batches. Place the grated carrots in a medium bowl, add the lemon juice and toss.

For the dressing, whisk together the sour cream, mayonnaise, sugar and salt. Pour the dressing over the carrots and add the pineapple and raisins. Toss together and serve.

Printed from on Tue Feb 17 2009

© 2009 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved

o

* Posted by annie1971 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 09 at 15:06

Seafood/Vegetables in Parchment (or foil)

Salmon fillets in serving size pieces OR you may use any nice firm fish -- halibut steaks are nice too

Vegetables:

grated carrots
green onions, chopped
garlic clove, minced
green pepper, thinly sliced
fresh mushrooms, sliced
salt and pepper

Use any vegetable combination you like; saute in butter or oil of your choice until ALMOST cooked through. Note: The vegetables must be saute'd before baking, as they won't be done in the same amount of time as the fish.

Put fish on parchment paper or foil; salt and pepper to taste; top with saute'd vegetables; close up the packets. Put onto baking sheet. Bake 325 for 30-40 minutes (depending on serving size and fish thickness).

I serve the salmon with a cucumber sauce.

Very nice served with Mexican rice w/peas and carrots

o

* Posted by terri_pacnw (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 09 at 15:18

I saw the title...and said..Ann's out..

I had plan on being in on all of them..but my time management has been sucking lately! LOL

Who knows if I'm in on this one or not..I love carrots..cooked, savory or sweet..raw...whatever..so it's not hard at all to make something..used them in fried rice lastnight..maybe I'll makes some carrot whoopie pies..or carrot cake muffins for hubby's lunch box...

o

* Posted by teresa_nc7 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 09 at 15:23

Here is one of my favorite ways with cooked carrots:

Carrots Vichy

2 c. thinly sliced carrots
4 TB melted butter
6 TB water
1 t. sugar
s&p to taste

Cook carrots in boiling salted water for 2 minutes.
Drain. Run under cold water, drain again. Add butter, water, sugar, s&p. Cook over medium heat, tossing carrots with a spoon for 2 minutes or until liquid evaporates and carrots are glazed. Serves 4.

I've got a muffin recipe and another for cold pickled carrots that I will post when I get home tonight.
Teresa

o

* Posted by canarybird (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 09 at 15:53

I just got an emailed newsletter from Delia Online with a link to a carrot site, so I've put it here below in case anyone would like to try those recipes.

SharonCb

Here is a link that might be useful: British Carrot Recipes
o

* Posted by sheshebop (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 09 at 16:04

Ann T, Oh my. I did not intend to exclude you. When Nancy called last night to find out what I picked, I was munching on a carrot (Weight Watcher's again ya know)and I love carrots.
Tell you what. When someone selects your name to pick an ingredient, get even with me and pick either lima beans or okra. LOL.

o

* Posted by sushipup (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 09 at 16:33

Teresa, try the orange marmalade instead of sugar. Gee, that's the way I cook my carrots, but I didn't know that it had a fancy name!

o

Tue, Feb 17, 09 at 18:43

Sushi, I think I would love your carrots with orange marmalade!

This muffin recipe is soooooo good! You can tell yourself they are healthy - carrots and whole wheat....duh!

Carrot Honey Date Muffins

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
1 TB grated orange peel
1 cup reg. or all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 TB baking powder
1 t. salt
1 cup grated carrots
1 cup diced, pitted dates

Heat oven to 425 F. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
Melt butter with honey. Stir in milk, then eggs and orange peel, beat to blend well. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients and stir well with a whisk to mix. Stir in the butter mixture, when well mixed stir in the carrots and dates.

Spoon into the greased muffin cups. Bake 15-20 minutes. Test with a toothpick for doneness. Let the muffins stand on a rack still in the cups for 5 minutes before removing them from the pan. Serve warm with butter and/or orange marmalade. Source: Country Living, 1982.

I love to fix these marinated carrots during hot weather; and, they're good for you too!

Marinated Spiced Carrots

1 lb. carrots, peel, cut into 3-inch long thin sticks
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 TB mustard seed
3 whole cloves
1 3-inch piece of stick cinnamon, broken in half

Blanch carrot sticks in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain, cool, and drain again. Put into a bowl.

In a saucepan, combine the rest. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat. Simmer 10 minutes. Pour over the carrots and let cool. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. Drain off the marinade to serve.

o

* Posted by carrie2 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 09 at 20:42

These glazed carrots (from the 2005 America's Test Kitchen) are the best!

1 pound (about six medium) carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick on the the bias

1/2 teaspoon salt

3 tablespoons sugar

1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth

1 tablespoon unsalted butter

2 teaspoons juice from one lemon

Ground black pepper

Bring carrots, salt, 1 tablespoon of the sugar, and the chicken broth to a boil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet, covered, over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are almost tender when poked with the tip of a paring knife, about 5 minutes. Uncover, increase the heat to high, and simmer rapidly, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is reduced to about 2 tablespoons, 1 to 2 minutes.

Add the butter and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar to the skillet. Toss the carrots to coat and cook, stirring frequently until the carrots are completely tender and the glaze is light gold, about 3 minutes. Off the heat, add the lemon juice and toss to coat. Transfer the carrots to a serving dish, scraping the glaze from the pan into the dish. Season to taste with pepper and serve immediately.

My note: I've made this many times and the measurements don't have to be exact. I usually use more carrots and salted butter. It doesn't make much difference. These are really good.

o

* Posted by prairie_love (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 09 at 21:10

I want to try the Carrot Almond Cake. I have made the Carrot Jicama Salsa and it's great but seems like more of a summer side than a winter. Moroccan Carrot, Orange, and Radish Salad also sounds good but I haven't made yet.

Almond Cake with Carrots, with Lemon Thyme Sorbet
Source: Patricia Wells Vegetable Harvest

1 tsp almond oil for pan
1 1/4 cups unblanched almonds
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp fine sea salt
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 1/2 cups grated carrots

Lemon sauce:
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 Tbsp sugar

Lemon Thyme Sorbet (optional) (below)

1. Preheat oven to 425°F
2. Drizzle almond oil into 9 1/2-inch springform cake pan and, using paper towels, rub it all over the bottom and sides. Set aside.
3. Toast the almonds: place almonds in a small, dry skillet over moderate heat. Shake the pan regularly until the nuts are fragrant and evenly toasted, about 2 minutes. Watch carefully, they can burn easily. Transfer the nuts to a large plate to cool.
4. In a food processor or blender, combine the sugar and almonds and chop until fairly fine. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt, and blend. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Add the eggs and stir to blend. Add the carrots and stir to blend. The batter will be fairly thick but should not be dry.
5. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Smooth out the top with a spatula. Place the pan in the center of the oven and bake until golden and firm and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes.
6. Transfer to a rack to cool. After 10 minutes, run a knife around the edges of the pan. Release and remove the side of the springform pan, leaving the cake on the pan base.
7. While the cake cools, prepare the sauce: Combine the lemon juice and sugar in a small saucepan and simmer over low heat until the sugar is dissolved, 2 to 3 minutes.
8. Serve the cake at room temperature. Cut it into thin wedges and top with the warm lemon sauce and a scoop of sorbet. The cake should be served the same day it is baked.

Lemon Thyme Sorbet
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup lemon thyme leaves
juice and zest of 2 lemons

1. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, thyme, and 2 cups water and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from the heat, cover, and set aside to steep for 1 hour.
2. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve, discarding the thyme leaves. Stir in the lemon juice and zest. Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. Transfer to an ice-cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. The sorbet should be served as soon as it is made.

Jicama Carrot Salsa
Source: From the Earth to the Table, John Ash

1/2 cup finely diced jicama
1/3 cup finely diced carrot
1/2 cup seeded and diced ripe plum tomato
1/4 cup diced red onion
1 tsp minced garlic
2 Tbsp fresh lime or lemon juice
1/2 tsp seeded and minced habanero chile (or to taste)
1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
2 Tbsp olive oil

Combine all ingredients, adding honey, salt, and pepper as desired. Store
covered in the refrigerator up to 3 days.

Moroccan Carrot, Radish, and Orange Salad
Source: From Tapas to Meze, Joanne Weir

2 oranges
2 carrots, peeled and cut into paper-thin slices
12 red radishes, trimmed and cut into paper-thin slices
juice of 1/2 orange
juice of 1/2 lemon
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp orange flower water
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
small pinch of cayenne
1 Tbsp powdered sugar
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp coarsely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley

With a knife, cut the top and bottom off the oranges. Do not peel. Cut off the skin with a knife, leaving no white pith remaining. Cut the oranges crosswise into 1/4-inch slices. Place in a bowl with the carrots and radishes.

In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, lemon juice, olive oil, orange flower water, cinnamon, cayenne, sugar, salt and pepper.

Add the vinaigrette to the oranges, carrots, and radishes and toss together. Place on a platter, garnish with parsley, and serve.

o

* Posted by jcrowley99 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 09 at 22:41

Mmmm! I love carrots, I put them in everything I can. I have some nice oxtails in the freezer, maybe I'll take those out and make make Clear Oxtail Soup (with plenty of carrots and turnips), along with some carrot cake for dessert. I'm glad I had time to read this today! I hope the first two cook alongs went well, I missed them.

Joanne

o

* Posted by lpinkmountain (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 18, 09 at 0:07

Prairie, that Morrocan salad sounds very groovy! I might have to try it!

I may participate if I feel up to cooking this weekend. I am torn between two pies, one is carrot cumin tart from my Williams and Sonoma Vegetable cookbook, and the other recipe is for a carrot ginger tart from "La Cucina Ebraica Favorites of the Italian Jewish Kitchen" by Joyce Goldstein. Both recipes are going to be a PITA for me since I am crust-challenged, but the pictures on both look so cute!

I scanned them so you can see. I don't have a camera to take pictures of my own food, but I do have a scanner to scan those cookbooks. I really like both of them.

Here's a carrot cake recipe from "La Cucina Ebraica" I have made it before and liked it, although I like the kind of carrot cake with pineapple the best. I like those big bundt pan carrot cakes, but living alone I can never eat one and it's not worth the trouble greasing and flouring the pan for them, just to cut them up and freeze them. I make carrot cupcakes if I do ever make carrot cake. I like this carrot cake because it is not quite so large and also not quite so gooey sweet. Very nice dessert for a small italian dinner party. This one's for Ann T.

Torta di Carote del Veneto - Carrot Cake from the Veneto
From Joyce Goldstein's "La Cucinca Ebraica"

Use the sweetest, most flavorful organic carrots--not starchy giants. Serves 8

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Grated zest of 1 large lemon
2 cups all purpose flour (I invariably use some whole wheat pastry flour)
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
Pinch of salt
4 cups finely grated carrots (about 1 lb.)
1/2 cup ground toasted almonds

Confectioners' sugar for topping

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9 inch cake pan, line it with parchment paper, and butter the parchment. (Note: I made cupcakes and used paper liners). In a bowl, beat togther the butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and almond and vanilla extracts and lemon zest and beat until thoroughly incorporated. In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Fold the flour mixture into the batter, then fold in the carrots and almonds. Pour into the prepared cake pan.

Bake until golden and the top springs back to the touch, 45-60 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack. When cool invert the cake, lift off the pan, peel off the parchment paper, and turn upright on a serving platter. Sift a light dusting of confectioners' sugar over the top.

Can serve with a dollop of mascapone cheese.

o

* Posted by sheshebop (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 18, 09 at 8:40

Lori,
Many people are crust-challenged. So, just buy a crust. Do they taste as good? Of course not, but I am a firm believer that if something one part of a recipe is so intimidating that you don't even try the recipe, then you should at least make the hard part easy so you don't lose the opportunity to enjoy something new.
I think that Carrot cumin tart is something that I will definitely try. I LOVE cumin!

o

* Posted by punamytsike (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 18, 09 at 9:03

Cathy, I will try to remember to get carrots Friday and then will try out the pie before I post the recipe :)

o

* Posted by lpinkmountain (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 18, 09 at 9:31

Yeah, to be honest Sherry that's what I usually do when it comes to anything with a crust. I'm thinking now to make the carrot tart though, for a dessert. I'm thinking about inviting friends over. I could have a Moroccan/Mediterranean theme and make carrot ginger soup, Moroccan chicken, orzo with spinach and feta, that Moroccan salad, and then the tart for dessert. All our skin might turn orange though!

Here's the savory carrot-cumin tart recipe

Carrot and Cumin Tart from the Williams Sonoma Vegetable cookbook.

1 recipe Tart Pastry, partially blind baked
2 TBLSP unsalted butter
5-6 green onions, white and tender green parts thinly sliced
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 tsp. sugar
3-4 cups thinly sliced peeled carrots
1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
2 extra large whole eggs, plus 1 large or extra large egg yolk
1 1/3 cups heavy cream or half and half
Pinch of fresh grated nutmeg or ground nutmeg
1 1/2 cups of shredded Gruyere, Emmenthaler, or Jarlsberg cheese

Prepare the deep pastry crust and directed and let cool. (I'll type the directions at the bottom). To make the filling, heat a large heavy frying pan over medium heat until it is hot but not smoking. Add the butter. When it begins to foam, add the green onions and saute until wilted, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.

Bring a saucepan three fourths full of water to a boil. Add salt to taste, the sugar, and the carrots and parboil until half cooked and bright orange, 1-2 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.

In a small frying pan over med. heat, (LR's comments--got a lot of dishes going on to wash here!), toast the cumin seeds until they are fragrant and take on a little color, 2-3 minutes. Pour onto a plate and let cool. (LR's comments, yeah, right, or just add some ground cumin to the pie, toasted a little bit first with the green onions).

In a bowl, whisk together the whole eggs, egg yolk, cream, and nutmeg until blended, then season to taste with salt and pepper.

Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F. Place a baking sheet on the rack below to catch any drips.

Sprinkle half of the cheese evenly over the bottom of the cooled pastry crust. Arrange as many of the carrot slices into the crust as will fit tightly, sprinkling them with the cumin and green onions as you add them. Pour the cream mixture over the carrots, filling the tart pan almost to the rim. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.

Bake until the top is golden brown and the filling is set, 25-30 minutes. Remove from th oven and let rest for at least 10 minutes. If using a tart pan with a removable bottom, place the pan on your outstretched palm and let the ring fall away, then slide the tart onto a serving plate.

Blind baking: Also called prebaking (so why not call it that then!), blind baking means partially or completely baking a pie or tart shell before filling it. To partially blind bake a tart shell, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lay a sheet of parchment paper over the pastry-lined tart pan, it should extend slightly beyond the rim. Weight it down with pie weights, raw rice, or dried beans. Bake for 10 minutes until just set, then remove the weights and parchment. Prick the bottom of the still-soft crust with a fork and return to the oven until the crust sets and colors slightly, 5-10 minutes longer. Let cool on a rack before filling.

Note: I could also type up their pastry recipe instructions, but I'm not going to do it unless someone really wants to do this exactly as the total recipe is written for. If I would make this I think I might use my whole wheat oil crust for this tart. Or just a pre-bought crust.

Here's their tart pastry ingredients

Williams and Sonoma Tart Pastry Ing.

1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
10 TBLSP chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
4-5 TBLSP ice water

o

Wed, Feb 18, 09 at 9:40

I had a horrible headache all day yesterday, so I didn't look up my recipes. I'll try to get to it tonight.

There's a big difference in taste between truly fresh carrots and those things you get in the plastic bag. I do buy the bagged carrots most of the time, but when I really want a treat, I'll spring for the freshest carrots I can get. Those are the ones that still have the green tops on them, and they just look and feel fresh and crisp. I'm still trying to master carrot growing. The carrots I grow in my garden rarely get larger than a stubby pencil, but I keep working at it. Alas, the seeds I just planted just won't be grown in 2 weeks.

When I want a simple dish of carrots, I'll slice them into coins and saute them in a little butter, and sprinkle a little bit of fresh chopped bronze fennel leaves. If you don't have bronze fennel, regular fennel or dill leaves work too. I just happen to have better luck growing bronze fennel, and the dark color contrasts nicely with the carrots. The fennel flavor goes very well with carrots.

Sally

o

Wed, Feb 18, 09 at 20:33

Okay, here's the carrot salad recipe I like to make. It's from Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant.

Czechoslovakian Apple and Carrot Confetti

Notes from the cookbook about the recipe:

"Apple and Carrot Cnfetti is a light and refreshing side dish or snack that takes almost no time to prepare. The amount of sugar needed, if any, will depend on the tartness of the apples and your preference for sweet or tart. Although I never add any sugar when I make this dish (I haven't a sweet tooth in my head), believe me, the traditional Czechoslovakian cook would not dream of omitting it."

Serves 4 to 6

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
4 apples (enough for 2 cups grated)
2 cups grated carrots
1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
2 tablespoons currants
1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
2 - 3 tablespoons sugar (optional)

mint leaves

Combine the lemon juice and orange juice. Grate the apples directly into the juices or they will turn brown quickly. Toss the apples with the rest of the ingredients and serve immediately, garnished with fresh mint leaves.

My note - I prefer dried cranberries to raisons or currents, so I substitute them for the currents, but whatever sounds good to you. I also have added slivered toasted almonds or walnuts to this dish at times.

Sally

o

* Posted by ruthanna (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 18, 09 at 21:47

I made the strangest carrot recipe tonight from one of Lee Bailey's cookbooks.

CARROT CUSTARD serves 6

14 oz. carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 Tbs. butter, at room temperature
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
3 Tbs. evaporated milk (I used Greek yogurt)
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
dash of black pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and put rack in middle oven position. Butter a 9 inch round cake pan and set aside. Put a kettle of water on to boil.

Boil carrots until very tender, about 30 minutes, and drain. In blender or food processor, process carrots with the butter for 10 seconds. Add remaining ingredients and process for 30 seconds more, until well pureed. Adjust seasoning if necessary.

Pour mixture into cake pan and put the pan in a large ovenproof pan. Pour enough boiling water around it to come halfway up the side of the cake pan. Put the pan in the oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Mixture will be firm and set. If using immediately, allow enough time to let it rest for 10 minutes after it has been taken out of the water. When ready to serve, loosen edges gently with a knife and invert it onto the serving platter.

-------
I made half a recipe and baked it in three custard cups instead of the larger pan. It was pretty but so light and fluffy in texture, it was more like a warm mousse without any sweetening, which was weird. DH and I weren't sure whether we liked it or not.

It might have been that I served it with spinach sauteed with garlic and a rice blend cooked in beef broth with sauteed mushrooms and chopped scallions. Both had strong flavors that overpowered the carrot dish.

Photobucket

o

Wed, Feb 18, 09 at 23:34

It sure looks pretty, Ruthanna! Very dramatic plate!

o

* Posted by trsinc (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 18, 09 at 23:44

Thanks, ruthanna, for posting - even about something that you didn't particularly like. I think that's just as helpful as posting a recipe that turned out. LOL I love to experiment so it's nice to hear about the "woops" too. I have a lot of those so it helps me in many ways. I bet if you sweetened it or added herbs or bacon or something, it would swing from not sure to sure. Although, it could be an, "I'm sure I don't like it." lol.

It really does look pretty. And the shape of it turned out so nice. I have fun trying those 'strange' recipes. You just never know what will happen but that's part of the fun.

o

* Posted by prairie_love (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 19, 09 at 9:04

lpink, be warned, I have not tried that salad, so can't vouch for it, but it does sound good. However your carrot and cumin tart sounds wonderful, that may end up on my menu!

Ann_F

o

* Posted by coconut-nj (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 19, 09 at 9:51

I do like carrots. I love raw carrots, but I also like to include them in many dishes to boost the veggie content, like my chili. No one has mentioned the old classic creamed carrots. It's basic, but was always a favorite of both my parents. We always had them especially for my Mother at holiday dinners. She really did make the best creamed carrots and her simple recipe has made converts of many. Christys brother fell in love with them so much that one Christmas when we were in New Orleans he asked me to show him how to make them so he could have them when we were back up North.

Slice your carrots and add water to come not quite to the top of the carrots. Salt the water. Cover the pot, bring to a boil and then simmer until carrots are tender. The water should have reduced slightly. Keep water on carrots and add milk to cover carrots. Bring back to a boil and thicken with a cornstarch slurry. Turn off and add a good tablespoon or two of butter and stir in. Taste for salt and adjust.

This simple dish is the veggie that Christy always asks for as her choice for Thanksgiving dinner. I like them too and of course always think of my Mother when I make them. I think what makes them so good is keeping the cooking liquid in them and salting the water just right. We never use pepper in them, but that's up to ya'll.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz