SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thibeaultstable

Cookalong - #36 - Honey

ann_t
11 years ago

Cookalong #36 ------ HONEY
clip this post email this post what is this?
see most clipped and recent clippings
Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 18, 10 at 15:44

It's time for a new Cookalong subject and Sharon (Chase) has picked Honey for our subject.

Please dig out your favorite honey recipes and post them.

Do you have a favorite Lebkuchen recipe? I haven't made them in years but it was a holiday favorite for a long time. It is one of those things that needs to age.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #35 ---- Mustard
Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cookalong #36 ------ HONEY

Posted by caliloo (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 18, 10 at 15:47

This has become a short notice go-to recipe since I always have everything on hand and it can be put together in seconds!

Alexa

Bruschetta with Gorgonzola Cheese and Honey
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

Ingredients
•36 slices (1/2-inch thick) baguette bread, about 1 loaf
•1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
•8 ounces Gorgonzola, sliced
•3 tablespoons honey

Directions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Arrange the sliced baguette on a baking sheet. Brush with olive oil. Bake until the bread is pale golden and crisp, about 10 minutes.

Arrange the cheese on the toasts and bake until the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes.

Drizzle the toasts with honey. Place on a serving platter and serve immediately.

o
and.......

Mon, Oct 18, 10 at 15:49

I forgot to mention - great choice Sharon! We love honey and are always looking for more ways to use it. And thanks again Nancy for keeping the cookalongs going - I love this thread!

Alexa

o

Posted by mustangs (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 18, 10 at 16:08

I made this last night, it's our favorite chili:

Caribbean Chili

• 1 lb lean ground beef (the original recipe calls for ground lamb, I usually use a combination of ground pork and beef)
• 1/2 cup honey
• 1 large can fire roasted tomatoes
• 1 smaller can roasted tomatoes w/green chilies
• 1 can Rotel tomatoes w/peppers
• 1 large can black beans
• 1 large chopped sweet onion
• 2 limes (juice)
• 1 bottle Guinness Draught beer
• 2 tbls chopped garlic
• 1 tbls chili powder
• 2 tbls cumin
• 1 tsp cayenne
• Salt

Simmer the tomatoes and onions for about 30 minutes, add honey, beer, lime juice, ground beef (I don’t brown my GB, I like the taste and texture that simmering the meat adds). Simmer 30 minutes. Add beans and spices, simmer 15 minutes.

o

Posted by doucanoe (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 18, 10 at 17:59

YAY, another cookalong! Thanks, Nancy!
Great choice, Sharon!

Image Hosting by

Honey Grapefruit Granita
Source Cooking Light June 1994

4 c fresh pink grapefruit juice (about 10 large fruits)
1-1/3 c basic sugar syrup (recipe follows)
1/3 c honey

Combine juice and basic sugar syrup in a lrge bowl, stir well and set aside. Place honey in small bowl, microwave on high 30 seci=onds or until warm. Add to juice mixture and stir well. Pour mixture into 9 x 13 baking dish, cover and freeze 8 hours or until firm.

Remove mixture from freezer and scrape with tines of a fork until fluffy. Spoon into container, cover and freeze for up to one month. Yield: 6 one-cup servings

Basic Sugar Syrup

4-1/2 c sugar
4 c water

Combine sugar and water in large saucepan, stir well. Bring to boil and cook 1 minute or until sugar dissolves, stirring constantly. Cool before using.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

These are like just the top part of a muffin! Really easy, good and healthy too!

Blueberry Breakfast Tops
From Weight Watchers
INSTRUCTIONS

2 spray(s) cooking spray
1 1/4 cup(s) blueberries, fresh (or thawed, if frozen)
2 Tbsp sugar
1 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
3/4 cup(s) uncooked cornmeal
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp table salt
1 cup(s) buttermilk
1/3 cup(s) honey
3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg(s), beaten

Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, toss blueberries with sugar; set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, honey, butter and egg. Pour wet ingredients into flour mixture and beat thoroughly to combine; fold in berries.

Place twelve 1/4 cup scoops of batter on prepared baking sheet about 2-inches apart. Bake until tops just start to turn golden, about 12 to 15 minutes. Yields 1 per serving.

Linda

o

Posted by denise8101214 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 18, 10 at 20:52

Links to all the cookalongs

Here is a link that might be useful: Links to all the cookalongs
o

Posted by moosemac (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 18, 10 at 22:32

This one is from the neighbor who has raised bees for over 50 years:

Honey Cookies

Ingredients:
3 tsp. baking soda
2 cups warm honey
1 cup shortening, containing salt
2 tsp. ginger
¼ cup hot water
7-8 cups flour

Directions:
Dissolve soda in warm honey.
Add shortening, ginger, and hot water.
Add enough flour to make a firm dough. (7-8 cups)
Roll about ¼ †thick.
Cut out with cookie cutters.
Bake 8-10 minutes at 375.

DD's favorite:

Baklava

For filling:
ý cup sugar
20 oz. finely chopped walnuts
ü cup brown sugar
2 tsp. Cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix all the ingredients together.

For Assembly:
3 sticks butter, melted
1 16 oz package frozen Phyllo dough, thawed

Brush bottom and sides of jelly roll pan with butter. Place one sheet of dough on pan, brush with butter. Repeat until you have five layers. Top with 1/3 of walnut mixture. Top walnuts with five layers of dough brushing each layer with butter. Repeat process until complete. Be sure to brush top layer of dough with butter.

For Syrup:
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
Juice of ý lemon
ý tsp. Vanilla
1 cup honey

15 minutes before Baklava is due to come out of oven. Combine all the ingredients and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes. Pour immediately over Baklava.

Final Preparation:
Cut Baklava on diagonal halfway through layers. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 300 and bake an additional 40 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately cut through all layers. Pour syrup over hot Baklava. Cool. Lightly cover. Let sit 24 hours if you can wait. Do not refrigerate. Makes 48 pieces. Hint: Place each piece in a partially flattened paper muffin cup.

o

Posted by jessyf (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 18, 10 at 22:50

We love this marinade/dip

Lime-Chipotle Sauce - Sunset Magazine

Food processor:

1/2 cup honey
2 tablespoons minced canned chipotle chilies in adobado sauce (WAAAY too much for me, the heat wus)
3 tablespoons brown mustard
1/2 cup lime juice
1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Season with salt and pepper

Serve sauce as a marinade grilled meats, poultry, and fish if your guests don't get to it first with tortilla chips. Makes 1 1/2 cups.

Even though this is a traditional Jewish New Year cake, I'd like to share this one.

Majestic and Moist New Year's Honey Cake
Epicurious : September 2008

by Marcy Goldman
A Treasury of Jewish Holiday Baking

I like a New Year's honey cake to be extra moist and sweet, as good on the day of baking as it is days later. This one is queen of the realm��"rich, nicely spiced, in a word, majestic in taste and stature. I went through many variations and tasting sessions until I was satisfied with this definitive cake. One tester gave the ultimate compliment, saying "This one is worth the price of the book." Like most honey cakes, it is a good keeper and can be made a couple of days ahead.

Yield: Makes 8-10.

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup honey
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup warm coffee or strong tea
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1/4 cup rye or whisky (see Note)
1/2 cup slivered or sliced almonds (optional)

I like this cake best baked in a 9-inch angel food cake pan, but you can also make it in a 10-inch tube or bundt cake pan, a 9 by 13-inch sheetpan, or three 8 by 4 1/2-inch loaf pans.

Preheat the oven to 350ðF. Lightly grease the pan(s). For tube and angel food pans, line the bottom with lightly greased parchment paper. For gift honey cakes, I use "cake collars" (available from Sweet Celebrations) designed to fit a specific loaf pan. These give the cakes an appealing, professional look.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. Make a well in the center and add the oil, honey, sugars, eggs, vanilla, coffee, orange juice, and rye or whisky.

Using a strong wire whisk or an electric mixer on slow speed, combine the ingredients well to make a thick batter, making sure that no ingredients are stuck to the bottom of the bowl.

Spoon the batter into the prepared pan(s) and sprinkle the top of the cake(s) evenly with the almonds. Place the cake pan(s) on 2 baking sheets stacked together and bake until the cake springs back when you touch it gently in the center. For angel and tube cake pans, bake for 60 to 70 minutes; loaf cakes, 45 to 55 minutes. For sheet-style cakes, the baking time is 40 to 45 minutes. This is a liquidy batter and, depending on your oven, it may need extra time. Cake should spring back when gently pressed.

Let the cake stand for 15 minutes before removing it from the pan. Then invert it onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Note:
If you prefer not to use the whisky, replace it with orange juice or coffee.

o

Posted by lowspark (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 19, 10 at 8:44

moosemac,
Those honey cookies sound good, but can that recipe be halved? Even at half, it sounds like it's going to make a boatload of cookies!

o

Posted by lindac (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 19, 10 at 10:03

Here's a traditional Lutheran honey spice cake! LOL!
Honey Spice Cake ( Pinky's mom's)
1 c butter
1/3 c sugar
3/4 c honey
2 eggs, separated
3 c sifted flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
1 c soured milk
1/2 tsp soda
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c chopped nuts

Cream the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat in the honey and the egg
yolks. Sift dry ingredients with the flour and add the dry ingredients
alternately with the soured milk. Add the nuts and vanilla. Beat the egg
whites until stiff and fold into the batter. Bake at 350ð until a toothpick
comes out clean, about 35 minutes. This is great with cream cheese frosting.

o

Posted by seagrass (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 19, 10 at 10:30

This is one of my favorite ways of cooking carrots. The recipe comes from "Green on Greens" 1984 cookbook by Bert Greene:

ELIZABETHAN BRAISED AND GLAZED CARROTS

"To my mind, the classic carrot rendition is ultimately the simplest - in this case merely tossed with butter plus an amendment of honey. Since Queen Elizabeth I of England was responsible for the carrot's initial popularity, can one pay greater homage than to name it in her honor?"

Ingredients:

2 Tbsps. unsalted butter
1 shallot, minced
1 lb. carrots, peeled, sliced into rounds (I cut them on the diagonal)
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 1/2 Tbsps. honey
1/8 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley

Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium low heat. Add the shallot; cook 1 minute. Stir in the sliced carrots and chicken stock. Cover and cook until just tender, stirring occasionally, about 12 to 15 minutes. Add the honey and nutmeg. Raise heat slighly and cook, uncovered, until liquid becomes syrupy. Remove from heat, toss in chopped parsley.

(Serves 4 - easily doubled)

seagrass

o

Tue, Oct 19, 10 at 10:39

I made this a few months ago and it was a huge hit. Love the honey lemon drizzle over the grilled marinated chicken.

Greek Chicken Thighs
Serves 5-6

2-3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pinch of black pepper

Honey Lemon Drizzle
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons lemon juice

In a large bowl, mix together olive oil, garlic powder, salt,oregano and pepper. Add chicken thighs and coat chicken well with olive oil mixture. Set aside until ready to cook. (You can do this ahead of time and just leave it covered in the refrigerator until needed.)

Move oven rack as close to top as possible. Preheat oven to 500. Place chicken on cookie sheet or roasting rack in a single even layer. Cook for about 8 minutes. While chicken is cooking, mix together lemon juice and honey. After chicken is fully cooked, drizzle honey lemon juice mixture over. Return chicken to oven for another 1-2 minutes, or until it is slightly charred and golden.

For additional flavor, you can drizzle more honey and lemon mixture if you so desire.

o

Posted by ann_t (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 19, 10 at 10:50

I made this corn bread recently. Sweet and moist.

Honey-Glazed Spago Corn Bread
Source: Food Gal

(makes one 9-by-13-inch pan)

1 cup yellow cornmeal

1 cup all-purpose flour

1/4 cup cake flour

1 cup sugar

2 tablespoons baking powder

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

4 large eggs, at room temperature

3 ounces (3/4 stick) unsalted butter

1/3 cup vegetable oil

1 cup milk

1/2 cup buttermilk

For glaze:

3 ounces (3/4 stick) unsalted butter

1/4 cup honey

1/3 cup water

Place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9-by13-inch baking pan with aluminum foil and spray foil with pan spray.

Sift together cornmeal, all-purpose flour, cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt 2 times. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs. Melt butter and immediately whisk into eggs in a slow stream. Whisk in oil, milk, and buttermilk. Whisk in dry ingredients just until combined.

Scrape batter into the pan and bake for 30 minutes. Rotate pan from front to back and continue to bake for 10 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.

To make the glaze: While corn bread is baking, melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add honey and water, and whisk until blended.

When corn bread is done, remove from oven and poke holes all over the bread, about 1/2 inch apart, with a toothpick. Brush with the glaze and allow to cool.

From ââ¬Å"Desserts By the Yardââ¬Â

o

Posted by ruthanna (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 19, 10 at 10:57

Thank you, Sharon, for picking an ingredient with such a long and rich history. I have lots of local honey in my pantry right now so will definitely try some of the recipes in this thread.

This is my #1 favorite method for preparing a whole or half of smoked ham.

DURGIN-PARK BAKED HAM

1 (5 to 6 pound) fully cooked ham
3/4 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup dry sherry
1 cup honey
Whole cloves
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 Tbs. dry mustard

Trim the skin from the ham, leaving a thin, even layer of fat. With a skewer, poke the ham all over at 2-inch intervals. Place the ham in a large resealable plastic bag, and place in a large shallow pan. Combine the orange juice, sherry, and honey; pour over the ham and seal the bag securely. Marinate in the refrigerator for three days, turning the ham every 12 hours.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Remove the ham from the bag, reserving the marinade. In a shallow roasting pan, with the ham fat side up, score the fat in a diamond design and stud with cloves. Insert a meat thermometer, making sure it does not touch bone. Pour all but a tablespoon of the marinade over the ham.

Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until the meat thermometer registers 130 degrees. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, mustard and the tablespoon of the reserved marinade and brush the exposed portion of the ham. Cover with a tent of aluminum foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until meat thermometer registers 140. Remove from the oven and allow the meat to stand for 10 minutes; then thinly slice and serve. 10 to 12 servings.

o

Posted by jude31 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 19, 10 at 20:55

I made these one day last week...could have just as easily posted it on New Recipes.

Simply Delicious!!!!!!

SPICY PUMPKIN PECAN RAISIN MUFFINS

From Farm Girl Fare Blog

Makes about 18 large muffins

1 C. raisins
3/4 C. orange juice

3 C. unbleached, all-purpose flour*
1/2 C. whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour*
2 teas. baking soda
1 teas. baking powder (make sure it's fresh)
1 teas. salt
1 teas. cinnamon
1 teas. nutmeg (a little less if freshly ground)
1/2 teas. ground cloves

1 C. (2 sticks) trans-fat free vegetable oil sticks**
1 C. light brown sugar, packed
1/2 C. honey
3 eggs
1 15 oz. can packed pumpkin (or 1 pound fresh pumpkin puree)
1 C. chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted if desired

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place raisins and orange juice in a small bowl and microwave for 2 minutes; set aside. Grease muffin tins.

Combine flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in a large bowl and set aside. Combine margarine, brown sugar, honey, and eggs in a large bowl and mix well. Stir in pumpkin. Gently fold in dry ingredients, alternating with the raisin/juice mixture. Stir in pecans.

Generously fill muffin tins. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 to 30 minutes. (Bake baby muffins about 15 minutes.) Cool muffins in tins for 15 minutes, then remove from tins and serve warm, or let cool on wire racks. Store in an airtight container for up to three days or freeze.

*I used 3 1/2 C all-purpose flour (that's what I had on hand).
**I used 2 sticks unsalted butter.

My yield was 12 regular size muffins and 36 baby muffins.

jude

o

Posted by bunnyman (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 21, 10 at 1:24

My own dessert I invented. Dish of plain yogurt sprinkled with cinnamon and drizzled with honey. When eating it the honey will stick to the spoon making every spoonful sweet.

Because yogurt will cool down hot pepper burn this makes a nice dessert following a spicey meal. It was probably a flaming hot curry that prompted me to whip up something sweet and cooling.

: )
lyra

o

Posted by gldno1 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 21, 10 at 5:22

This is probably my favorite cookie. It doesn't make a huge amount. They are sort of a gingersnap but not so gingery.

Cinnamon Cookies Char's recipe

þ cup shortening (not butter)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
ü cup honey
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon ginger (can use less)
2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
ý teaspoon salt

Mix sugar and shortening; add egg, mix well.

Add dry ingredients. Mix

Make 1 inch balls, roll in cinnamon sugar topping

Bake 12-15 minutes at 375ð

Note: leave space, they will spread and crackle on top.

o

Posted by lowspark (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 21, 10 at 9:57

I just found this recipe in a Giada cookbook I got from the library. Haven't made it yet but I plan to next time I need a dessert. Got mostly pretty good reviews.

Chocolate Honey Almond Tart
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis, 2008

1/2 stick (2 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, at room temperature, plus extra for coating the pan
9 chocolate graham crackers, 5 1/2-ounces total
2 tablespoons slivered almonds
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup honey
12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan.
Place the graham crackers and almonds in the bowl of a food processor. Process until the mixture forms fine crumbs, about 15 to 20 seconds. Add the butter and pulse until incorporated. Press the crumb mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 12 minutes. Cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes.

In a small saucepan, whisk the cream and honey together over low heat until the honey has dissolved. Increase the heat to medium and bring the mixture to just below a boil. Place the chocolate chips in a medium bowl. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and stir until the mixture is smooth. Pour the chocolate filling over the prepared crust. Refrigerate for at least 5 hours or preferably overnight.

Loosen the tart from the sides of the pan by running a thin metal spatula around the edge. Unmold the tart and transfer to a serving plate. Cut into wedges and serve.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chocolate Honey Almond Tart
o

Posted by hawk307 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 21, 10 at 14:19

Struffoli:
A holiday treat I love. It is Honey coated fried dough balls sprinkled with powdered sugar.
we called them Cece. It is made with a cookie dough ? rolled to the diameter of a cigarete and fried til a golded color.

When the Ceci is cooled, the honey is heated and poured over it and mixed throughout.
It is shaped into a mound and sprinkled with Sugar.
Some sprinkle on Christmas colored Jimmies.

I can't find my recipe but here is one I Googled, which is similar.
LOU

Ingredients
6 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 pound butter
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
4 vanilla beans
2 tablespoon baking powder
1 gallon vegetable oil
1 pound honey
1 small jar candy sprinkles
Directions
Break the eggs and whisk. Put eggs through a strainer to make sure they are mixed properly. Add sugar to eggs and mix immediately to prevent sugar from burning eggs. Bring butter to room temperature. Flake butter into the flour.

Split vanilla beans and scrape out the seeds and add them to the sugar/egg mixture. Put mixture into a mixer and mix (using dough hook) and slowly add the flour. Let dough rest in a cool dry place.

Roll out the dough into small quantities. Cut dough into 1/2-inch strips and cut 1/2-inch pieces from the strips. Place the 1/2-inch squares onto a baking pan.

Put vegetable oil into a large pot and bring to 350 degrees. Fry small quantities of the dough squares in the oil and when golden brown, place onto a baking pan lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil. When all dough is fried, let cool to room temperature.

In a saucepan, heat the honey (not to a boil) and add small quantities of the fried dough to the pan. Stir lightly with a large slotted spoon. Remove from saucepan and place onto a serving plate and sprinkle with candy sprinkles.

Here are Photo's by leographia. I didn't copy them too well.Use your imagination!!!

o

Posted by annie1992 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 21, 10 at 15:00

Jessica, that marinade is Elery's favorite for lamb, he loves the stuff. But, since you posted I can use that one, so how about sol's honey rolls? Or baklava, which my mother just adores?

Honey Rolls
1 cup milk
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup butter [1 stick]
2 teaspoos salt
1-2 tablespoons granulated sugar*
2 pkges. dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water [110ú-115úF]
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
6 - 6 1/2 cups AP flour

Heat the milk, add butter and salt. Set aside while butter melts. Stir in the honey.

In another bowl, combine the warm water, yeast and sugar. Let it sit until yeast is completely dissolved, about 6-7 minutes.

Combine milk mixture with yeast mixture. And stir in the beaten eggs. Beat in 4 cups flour. Add enough remaining flour to make a soft, but not sticky dough.

Place dough in greased bowl, turning to coat both sides. Cover and allow dough to rise 1 hour. Punch dough down, and allow to rise another hour.

Punch down again, and shape dough into rolls. Let it rise again 45 minutes to an hour or until doubled in volume. Preheat your oven to 375úF and bake rolls for 25 minutes or until a deep golden brown. For a very soft crust, brush rolls with melted butter as soon as they come out of the oven.

Note: You could omit the sugar from this recipe altogether. I sometimes use about a teaspoon of the honey called for in the recipe to feed the yeast instead of the sugar.

Baklava

1 pound frozen phyllo sheets
1 cup melted butter
2 cups finely chopped walnuts or blanched almonds
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup honey
1 cup water
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Thaw phyllo pastry and separate sheets according to package directions. Keep pastry not being used covered with clean damp dish towel to keep it from drying out. Place half of pastry sheets in a greased 15x10x1-inch baking pan, one by one, brushing each sheet quickly and all over with melted butter. Combine nuts, 1/2 cup sugar, and cinnamon; sprinkle over buttered pastry. Place remaining sheets on top, brushing each with melted butter. Cut baklava pastry into 2-inch diamonds. Bake at 400ð until brown and crisp, about 30 to 35 minutes. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine remaining 3/4 cup sugar, honey, 1 cup water, and lemon juice; bring to a boil. Boil baklava syrup for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until syrupy. Cool and pour over baklava.

Annie

o

Posted by ruthanna (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 22, 10 at 10:34

HONEY CURRIED CHICKEN

4 bone-in chicken or boneless chicken breasts or 1 cut up chicken
1/4 cup melted butter or margarine
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup orange juice
2 Tbs. prepared mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. curry powder (I use Penzey's Maharajah blend)
2 Tbs. dark rum

Place chicken skin side up in shallow baking dish and preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine remaining ingredients, stirring well. Pour sauce over chicken. Bake for one hour (40 min. for boneless breasts, depending on size), basting occasionally with sauce.

Note: I usually use skinless bone-in breasts so I turn them over halfway through the cooking time. I also melt the butter in a pyrex measuring cup in the microwave and then add the honey and orange juice directly to it so I donââ¬â¢t dirty extra measuring cups.

o

Posted by denise8101214 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 12, 10 at 16:22

Lou,

My grandmother used to make struffoli, I don't know if that's what she called them.

I hadn't remembered those in a long, long time. Thank you

o

Sun, Nov 14, 10 at 14:10

All of these honey recipes sound good. A big thank you to everyone.

Time to get started on a new subject, so I'm pulling a name right now....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Annie1992 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You get to pick. I'll keep an eye on this thread for your choice.

Nancy

o

Mon, Nov 15, 10 at 19:51

I just received an email from Annie, she has been out of town.

She thinks.....butter.... would be a fun choice.

I'll set it up now.

Thanks again to all.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #37 --------BUTTER!

Comment

Sponsored