SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thibeaultstable

Cookalong - Holiday Cookies

ann_t
11 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

iVillage GardenWeb iVillage GardenWeb THE INTERNET'S GARDEN & HOME COMMUNITY ADVERTISEMENT
Blogs
Forums
Photo Galleries
Ask The Experts Tools & Directories
SEARCH
Return to the Cooking Forum : Post a Follow-Up
o
Cookalong Extra! ****Holiday Cookies****
clip this post email this post what is this?
see most clipped and recent clippings
Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 26, 10 at 9:31

This is the first of some Cookalong Extra ideas that I've thought about. Instead of focusing on a specific ingredient, we will focus on a particular recipe type.

Same general rules as the regular Cookalong, only T+T recipes, credit to the source, if you know it.
Please, no doctored up pre-made items, the Cooking forum is all about cooking from scratch.
Please add your hints on how to make this turn out perfect. Will the finished item freeze or not? Why do you love it?
Read through any recipes that are already posted to avoid duplication of identical recipes.

Every year I start thinking about Christmas cookies as soon as the turkey from our Thanksgiving dinner is cold. It's the same as pulling out the decorations each year.
I start making a list of the cookies I want to make. There are the favorites that I make every year and then I few new to me recipes that I want to try.

Please share your very favorites, even if they have been posted on the CF before.
Tell us why a particular recipe is the only one you use. Is it soft or crispy? Is it a good keeper?

I want to encourage new posters to add their favorites. Your recipes bring new life to the CF.

My hope is that we can have this as a reference that also is saved for easy long term use.

Thanks!

Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cookalong Extra! ****Holiday Cookies****

Posted by caliloo (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 26, 10 at 9:54

Brilliant idea, Nancy! My kids and I just compiled the list of "must haves" from years gone by and were just talkiing about what to add that is new for this year. These are the ones I am making today to freeze OR they store in refrigerator in an airtight container and improve with age.

Alexa

Margarita Balls
Servings: 24

Ingredients:
1 (12 ounce) package vanilla wafers
1/2 pound ground almonds
1/4 pound white chocolate
1/2 cup tequila
3 Tbsp Rose’s Lime Juice
1/4 cup orange marmalade
2 tablespoons light corn syrup

Directions:
1. Mix 1 box (12 oz) vanilla wafers, crushed into crumbs, with 1/2 lb ground blanched almonds.
2. Melt four 1 oz squares white chocolate according to package directions.
3. In blender, process tequila, orange marmalade, lime juice and light corn syrup until smooth. Stir, along with melted chocolate, into crumb mixture.
4. Shape into 1 inch balls and coat with sugar. Store in refrigerator.

Almond Cherry Biscotti Recipe
1 hour : 10 min prep

SERVES 24 , 2 dozen

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup cold butter
2 eggs
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped almonds
1 cup candied cherry, halved

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
In another bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and vanilla; stir into flour mixture until blended.
Stir in almonds and cherries (dough will be crumbly).
Divide dough in half; shape into two balls.
On an ungreased baking sheet, shape each half into a 10-in. x 2-1/2-in. rectangle.
Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
Carefully remove to wire racks; cool for 20 minutes.
Transfer to a cutting board; cut diagonally with a sharp knife into 3/4-in. slices.
Place cut side down on ungreased baking sheets.
Bake for 15 minutes or until firm.
Remove to wire racks to cool.
Store in an airtight container.
Cream Cheese Brandy Cherry Balls.
=================================
These are wonderful. I have been making them for 20 years. I almost didn't make them the first time because they called for butterscotch chips which I don't like. But in this recipe they work well. They seem to mellow out the flavours. These can also be frozen. (and they are good right out of the freezer too. LOL)
Ann
Home Cookin 4.9 Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Source: 1983 Oct/Nov. Entertainment and Recipe Booklet
1/2 Cup maraschino cherries, quartered
2 Tablespoons Brandy
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 package cream cheese
2 cups mini marshmallows
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 Cups flaked coconut
. Marinate cherries at least 4 hours or overnite in brandy Melt Chocolate
chips and butterscotch chips and add cream cheese. Stir in cherries,
marshmallows and walnuts and refrigerate until cold enough to roll into
balls. Roll in coconut. Refrigerate. The longer the better. The flavours
intensify.

o

Posted by booberry85 (becky@leadsafe.us) on
Fri, Nov 26, 10 at 10:25

Butterhorns

This came from Penzeys One Magazine, issue one 2005. This is â€sleeper.ââ¬Â They donââ¬â¢t seem like very much when you first make them, but you find yourself craving them. The recipe makes 72 cookies.

Ingredients

Dough
1 (2 ý teaspoons) package yeast
1 þ cups milk, divided
ý cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
2 eggs
1 cup butter
5-5 ý cups flour
1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar

Filling
ý cup sugar
ü cup butter, melted
1-2 teaspoons cinnamon

Icing
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon butter, softened
2 tablespoons milk
ü teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Heat ý cup milk to lukewarm (warm to touch). Pour into a small bowl with yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar. Let stand for 5 minutes, until foamy.

In a large mixing bowl, beat 2 eggs with ý cup sugar until blended. Melt 1 cup butter. Mix with 1 ý cup warm milk. Pour milk, butter, yeast mixture and 2 ý cups flour into the mixing bowl. Blend until just mixed. The dough will be very wet. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk (1 to 1 ý hours).

After the first rise, mix in 2 ý cups flour. If the dough is still sticky, mix in another ü cup to ý cup flour.

Grab a hunk of dough the size of a tennis ball and roll it in a circular shape on a lightly floured surface. Use as little flour as possible. In a small bowl, combine filling ingredients. Spread the filling, about a tablespoon, on the dough circle. Donââ¬â¢t spread too much filling or butterhorns will unroll during baking. Cut the circle into 8 triangles (like a pizza), and roll the butterhorns up, starting at the outside edge. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and place on a greased baking sheet.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes until golden. Remove from baking sheet and let cool. Drizzle with icing before serving. For icing, beat together butter, milk, sugar and vanilla until creamy.

o

Posted by lorijean44 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 26, 10 at 10:36

Ina Garten's Jam Thumbprints:

Jam Thumbprint Cookies

3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water (egg wash)
7 ounces sweetened flaked coconut
Raspberry and/or apricot jam (I used my homemade raspberry-plum jam)

Preheat oven to 350 F.

In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until they are just combined, and then add the vanilla. Separately, sift together the flour and salt. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the creamed butter and sugar. Mix until the dough starts to come together. Dump on a floured board and roll together into a flat disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.

Roll the dough into 1-1/4 inch balls. (If you have a scale, they should each weigh 1 ounce.) Dip each ball into the egg wash and then roll in coconut. Place the balls on an ungreased cookie sheet and press a light indentation into the top of each with your finger. Drop 1/4 teaspoon of jam into each indentation. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the coconut is a golden brown. Cool and serve.

Lori

o

Posted by donna_loomis (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 26, 10 at 11:22

I cannot imagine making any other chocolate chip cookie than the one I m posting below. It is my family's absolute favorite and a given when we do our Christmas baking. It is a soft CC cookie. I got the recipe from a Woman's Day magazine sometime in the 70's. There is also a recipe for Oatmeal Pudding cookies from the same magazine that I sometimes make. But these CCC's are by far the most requested cookie when the subject comes up.

CHOCOLATE CHIP PUDDING COOKIES

2-1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 c. butter, softened
1/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. packed brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 (4 serving size) pkg. vanilla* instant pudding
2 eggs
1 (12 oz.) pkg. chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecan (optional)

*Can use other flavored instant pudding for variation.

Mix flour with baking soda. Combine butter, sugar, vanilla and pudding; mix in large mixer bowl. Beat until smooth and creamy. Beat in eggs. Gradually add flour mixture, then stir in chips and nuts. Drop by rounded teaspoonful about 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Makes 7 dozen.

o

Posted by bbstx (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 26, 10 at 11:32

DD was home a couple of weeks ago and helping me find ways to use up lemons. We made these cookies. They were fabulous!

Citrus-Kissed Honey Buttons

From EatingWell: November/December 2010

These citrus-flavored sugar cookies are a lovely addition to any holiday cookie platter.

3 dozen cookies : Active Time: 20 minutes : Total Time: 1 1/4 hours (including 30 minutes chilling time)

Ingredients
ââ¬Â¢1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
ââ¬Â¢1/2 teaspoon baking soda
ââ¬Â¢1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
ââ¬Â¢1/4 teaspoon salt
ââ¬Â¢1 cup granulated sugar
ââ¬Â¢4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (see Tip)
ââ¬Â¢1 large egg
ââ¬Â¢1 tablespoon honey
ââ¬Â¢1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
ââ¬Â¢1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
ââ¬Â¢1 teaspoon lemon extract

Preparation

1.Whisk flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt in a small bowl.

2.Beat sugar and butter in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add egg, honey, lemon zest, orange zest and lemon extract, and beat until blended. Gradually add the flour mixture, beating on low speed just until combined. Cover and refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes or overnight.

3.Preheat oven to 375ðF. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or nonstick baking mats.

4.Roll the dough into 36 balls (about 2 level teaspoons each) with your hands. Place 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.

5.Bake, one batch at a time, until puffed and beginning to crack, 6 to 8 minutes. Cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Nutrition
Per cookie : 59 Calories; 1 g Fat; 1 g Sat; 0 g Mono; 9 mg Cholesterol; 11 g Carbohydrates; 1 g Protein; 0 g Fiber; 36 mg Sodium; 15 mg Potassium

1 Carbohydrate Serving

Exchanges: 1 carbohydrate (other)

Tips & Notes
ââ¬Â¢Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dough for up to 1 day. Store cookies airtight for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. : Equipment: Parchment paper or nonstick baking mats
ââ¬Â¢Tip: To soften butter, let stand at room temperature for 30 to 45 minutes. Or cut into small pieces and let stand for about 15 minutes. (Do not soften in a microwave - the uneven heat may melt the butter in spots.)

o

Posted by lindac (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 26, 10 at 11:35

Hazelnut biscotti Think this originally came form a Gourmet magazing about 16 or 17 years ago.

Biscotti Di Prato

3 3/4 C all purpose flour (stirred till fluffy before measuring)
2 C sugar
1 tsp double acting baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
4 eggs
2 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla ( or 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1/2 tsp almond extract if using
almonds)
1 2/3 c hazel nuts or almonds coarse chopped and lightly toasted.
eggwash

Mix flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
whisk together eggs, yolks and extracts, add eggs, etc to flour mixture and
stir until a dough forms (looks like it can never happen... but keep
working it...it will. I sometimes add a VERY little sprinkling of water)
add nuts, turn out on a non-stick surface ( I use a marble board or my
formica rolling board) and knead 3 or 4 times. Divide into fourths and
shape each piece into a 11 x 2 in. log ( make it "tall" as they flatten
while baking) Place on buttered and floured baking sheets, brush with egg
wash (egg yolk whisked with 1 T water). Bake at 350 for 35 min and cool 20
min. Slice 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. Place on clean baking sheets ( cut side
down) and bake 10 or 12 minutes at 275. turn pieces over and bake another
10 minutes. If you want to make them extra fancy, dip half a slice in
melted chocolate and sprinkle with finely chopped nuts. You can make bigger
'scottis by making two thicker logs, but be sure to leave room for spread.

Best dipped in tea or coffee....or best yet in a sweet dessert wine!

o

Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 26, 10 at 11:52

Here's my long time favorite cut out cookie dough. If I remember correctly it was originally in a BH+G magazine in the late 70's. I usually double it in my KA mixer and usually make at least three bowls of the dough. I have a very large tree shape cookie cutter (about 9") and love to make and decorate special cookies for those that love cutouts.
This dough is one that you can roll thick, if you like a softer cutout, yet still holds up.

CREAM CHEESE COOKIES

1ý C sugar
1 C unsalted butter
1 8oz pkg cream cheese
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
ý tsp almond extract
3ý C flour (I like unbleached)
1 tsp baking powder

In a mixing bowl cream sugar, butter and cream cheese until fluffy.
Add egg and flavorings, beat smooth'
Stir together the flour and baking powder, add to creamed mixture and mix thoroughly.

FOR CUT-OUT COOKIES
Chill dough. Roll out on surface dusted with a mixture of ý powered sugar and ý flour, ü to ý inch thick depending on your preference. Cut into desired shapes. Place on ungreased cookie sheet ( I line with parchment paper) and bake in a 375ð oven 8-10 minutes. Watch for the edges to just barely begin to brown if you like a moist cookie. Cool and frost.

COOKIE PRESS COOKIES

Divide dough into portions and add desired colors. Force through cookie press onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake in a 375ð oven 8-10 minutes. Remove from cookie sheet and cool on wire rack. Before baking brush with slightly beaten egg white and sprinkle with colored sprinkles if desired.
Note...I have added about 4 oz of almond paste to the dough when making the cookie press cookies.....yum!

FAVORITE ICING FOR CUTOUT COOKIES

2 c powered sugar, sifted
2 Tbsp softened butter
ü tsp vanilla
ü tsp almond extract
1 egg white
ü C milk or cream

Combine egg white and milk, set aside.
Beat together powered sugar, butter and flavorings.
Add small amounts of the milk mixture until icing is spreading consistency.
Tint with desired colors.
Using the egg white will give you a nice finish on the icing, the butter will keep it soft on the inside.

Nancy

o

Posted by chase (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 26, 10 at 12:46

Great idea Nancy !

Next Sunday is our annual cookie bake with Sara. I'm in need of one more recipe and I just know I'll find it here!

Here is a must for my (limited) Christmas baking

Sharon's Peppermint Bark

1 lb bittersweet chocolate
8 drops peppermint oil (Yup must use oil do not use extract or your chocolate will seize)
1 lb chopped white chocolate
3/4 cup chopped candy canes

Line a 11 X 17 inch baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside

Melt bittersweet chocolate in a heavy pan over low heat, stirring constantly. Stir in 4 drops of peppermint oil. Spread evenly over pan and chill for about 1 hour.

Melt white chocolate in a heavy pot over low heat, stirring constantly. Stir in remaining 4 drops of peppermint oil and then add in candy cane.

Spread white chocolate over chilled dark chocolate, spreading to the edge of the pan. Chill 4 hours.

Refrigerate just until just before serving then break into pieces. Will keep in the fridge for 3 weeks ( yeah right!!! LOL)

o

Posted by doucanoe (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 26, 10 at 14:22

Sharon I love that peppermint bark. I made it for the first time last year and will definitely be making a batch this season!

I've been wanting to try those Brandied Cherry Balls, too. No more excuses!

And Alexa's EggNog Snickerdoodles are now a regular in my holiday baking repertoire, too!

Here are a couple of my favorites.

Image Hosting by

Holiday Biscotti
Source: Giada DeLaurentis

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
2/3 cup dried cranberries
12 ounces good-quality white chocolate, chopped
Red and green sugar crystals, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Line a heavy large baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk the flour and baking powder in a medium bowl to blend. Using an electric mixer, beat the sugar, butter, lemon zest, and salt in a large bowl to blend. Beat in the eggs 1 at a time. Add the flour mixture and beat just until blended. Stir in the pistachios and cranberries.
Form the dough into a 13-inch long, 3-inch wide log on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until light golden, about 40 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes.
Place the log on the cutting board. Using a sharp serrated knife, cut the log on a diagonal into 1/2 to 3/4-inch-thick slices. Arrange the biscotti, cut side down, on the baking sheet. Bake the biscotti until they are pale golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer the biscotti to a rack and cool completely.
Stir the chocolate in a bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water until the chocolate melts. Dip half of the biscotti into the melted chocolate. Gently shake off the excess chocolate. Place the biscotti on the baking sheet for the chocolate to set. Sprinkle with the sugar crystals. Refrigerate until the chocolate is firm, about 35 minutes. As you can see from my photo, I skipped this part-they're delicious either way.
The biscotti can be made ahead. Store them in an airtight container up to 4 days, or wrap them in foil and freeze in resealable plastic bags up to 3 weeks.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PEPPERMINT TWISTS
Source: Land O Lakes
Tastes like your favorite peppermint candy but with a cookie's buttery crunch. This cookie is a perfect make-ahead sweet treat!

Preparation time: 1 hrs Baking time: 11 min
Yield: 3 dozen cookies

1/2 cup LAND O LAKESî Butter, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 to 4 drops red food color
36 large chocolate chips or mini-kisses

Heat oven to 350ðF. Place butter and sugar in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add egg yolk, peppermint extract and vanilla; beat until well mixed. Reduce speed to low. Add flour and salt; beat until well mixed.

Remove half of dough from bowl. Add small amount of red food color to dough in bowl; mix well.

Divide each half of dough into quarters; roll each quarter to 9-inch log. Place 1 red log next to 1 white log; twist gently to swirl dough. Roll gently to smooth. Repeat with remaining dough.

Cut each swirled rope of dough into 9 pieces; roll each piece gently into a ball. Place onto ungreased cookie sheets. Press 1 chocolate chip in center of each ball. Bake for 11 to 13 minutes or until edges are lightly browned..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raspberry Diagonals

(from Sue Beckman)

1c butter
1/2c sugar
2tsp vanilla
1tsp almond extract
1/2tsp salt
2-1/2c flour
Raspberry Jam

Cream butter, sugar, vanilla, almond extract & salt. Stir in flour. Divide dough into four quarters and form into balls. On lightly floured surface, roll each ball into one inch wide ropes. Make indentation down center of each rope and fill with raspberry jam. Place on baking sheets and bake 12-15 minutes at 350F

Frosting:
1c powdered sugar
1tsp almond extract
1tsp melted butter
1tsp half-n-half

Combine all ingredients to desired consistency. Drizzle over top of baked cookie ropes. Cut into one inch diagonal slices.

Linda

o

Posted by cloudy_christine (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 26, 10 at 14:25

Great idea, Nancy!
These Victorian Currant Cakes are much better if baked at least a day before serving. It's also essential to soak the currants overnight. (And heating the brandy does matter.) So you start at least two days before eating them. These are DH's absolute favorite Christmas cookie. They have a more-than-the-sum-of-the-parts flavor. The recipe comes from Mimi Sheraton's Visions of Sugarplums. I changed one thing: she used the soaking brandy in the dough, but I prefer to pitch it and use fresh brandy.

Victorian Currant Cakes

1 cup dried currants
1/2 cup brandy, heated
1 cup + 2 Tb unsalted butter
1 heaping cup sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons brandy
2 1/2 to 2 3/4 cups flour

Soak currants in brandy overnight. Drain; discard brandy.
Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg, egg yolk, and spices. Mix well.
Add 2 teaspoons of (new) brandy and the currants. Mix thoroughly.
Gradually add enough flour to make a smooth but light dough. Wrap in wax paper and chill one hour.
Pinch off small pieces and roll with floured hands into 3/4-inch balls. Arrange on buttered baking sheets about two inches apart. Flatten with a fork.
Bake about 10 minutes at 375ð, until pale golden.
Store in an airtight tin.

o
RE: Cookalong Extra! ****Holiday Cookies****123

Fri, Nov 26, 10 at 14:42

Does anyon have a recipe for what I think are called "Peanut Butter Blossoms"...A peanut butter cookie with a chocolate kiss in the center?

These are the only peanut butter cookie I like and there is not a single recipe in any of my cookbooks for them. I know I can search online, but I prefer a T&T recipe from one of my CF friends.

Thanks!

Linda

o

Posted by diinohio (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 26, 10 at 16:30

From the bag of Hershey Kisses-

Hershey Kisses Peanut Butter Blossoms

Prep time 15 minutes
Bake time approx. 8 minutes
Makes 4 dozen

48 Hershey Kisses
1/2 C shortening
3/4 C creamy peanut butter
1/3 C sugar
1/3 C light brown sugar
1 egg
2 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 C AP flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
granulated sugar

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Remove foil from kisses.
Beat shortening and peanut butter in large bowl until well blended.
Add 1/3 cup sugar and brown sugar until fluffy.
Add egg, milk and vanilla, beat well.
Stir together flour, baking soda and salt, gradually beat into peanut butter mixture.
Shape dough into 1" balls. Roll in granulated sugar, place on ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately press a kiss into the center of each cookie, cookie will crack around edges. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely.

Di

o

Posted by katiec (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 26, 10 at 16:32

Perfect... I was thinking of doing cookie trays this year and I need new ideas.

Here are two must-haves(along with Russin Tea Cakes). We've been making them since Liana was in elementary school. They both came from an old Taste of Home.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Date Swirls

Recipe By : Katie
Serving Size : 48 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cookies

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups chopped dates
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 cup chopped nuts -- optional
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 cup butter -- softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon lemon extract
4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda

Cook dates, water, 1 c. sugar, nuts and lemon juice over medium heat, stirring, until stiff (15-20 minutes). Cool.

Cream butter, sugars, eggs and lemon extract. Stir in remaining ingredients. Chill one hour.

On lightly floured surface, roll into 2 - 12"x9" rectangles. Spread with filling and roll up, starting with long end. Slice 1/4"-1/3" thick.

Bake, 2" apart, on greased baking sheets @375ð for 8-10 minutes.

Taste of Home, Dec. 1994
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Turtle Bars

Recipe By : Katie
Serving Size : 48 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cookies

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup soft butter
1 cup pecan halves -- approximately
2/3 cup butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup chocolate chips

Beat flour, 1 c. brown sugar and soft butter 2-3 minutes on medium speed. Press into 13"x9" pan.

Arrange pecan halves in even rows on crust.

Combine 2/3 c. butter and 1/2 c. brown sugar. Boil, stirring, for one minute. Pour over pecans.

Bake @ 350ð for 18-22 minutes until bubbly.

Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Let stand 3 minutes and spread chocolate, allowing pecans and caramel to show through.

Cool completely and cut in small squares, cutting between the pecan halves.

Taste of Home, Dec. 1994
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

o

Fri, Nov 26, 10 at 16:47

LOL, Di! I feel like a big dope! Never thought to look on the back of the Hershey Kisses bag! But sure enough, there is the recipe right there in plain English!

Thanks for posting it!

Linda

o

Posted by diinohio (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 26, 10 at 17:04

You're welcome lol! I forgot to mention that they are T&T...so good!

I'm making and giving cookies for the holidays, already stocked up on supplies and thought I had narrowed down my choices. Not now, it's going to be hard after seeing all these recipes -at least it's still early.

Di

o

Posted by beachlily (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 26, 10 at 17:16

I want to make the peanut butter kisses, but husband said that my baking deserves better than Hershey. OK, I asked what he had in mind. He went down to the chocolate makers here in town and explained his dilemma. Two ladies got their heads together and finally recommended their chocolate buttons. They can withstand some heat without melting and taste wonderful. He call me to tell me he was bring home a bag. I tried them and that's what I'll use. Gotta love someone who thinks your baking is special!

o

Posted by aliceinmd (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 26, 10 at 19:15

First, thanks to Donna for posting the Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies recipe. I had them several years ago, and they are wonderful.

My contribution to this worthy cause was on the cover of the Better Homes & Gardens Christmas Cookie magazine in the late 90's or early 2000s. We have made them every year since because they're pretty on a cookie plate; even people who say they don't like candied fruit say they love these because they're not too sweet. Enjoy -- and keep the recipes coming!

PINEAPPLE TARTS

1 package pie crust mix for two crusts (I use Betty Crocker)
1/2 cup plain yogurt, preferably not non-fat

1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch

8-1/4 ounce can crushed pineapple, undrained
ü cup chopped candied red cherries
ü cup chopped candied green cherries
1 Tablespoon butter or margarine

ü teaspoon finely shredded orange or lemon peel

1 beaten egg yolk

Stir piecrust mix and yogurt together till evenly moistened. Form into 30 1ââ¬Â balls. (Flouring your hands lightly can help keep this mixture from sticking to you.) Press into ungreased 1-3/4ââ¬Â (mini-size) muffin cups.

Combine sugar and cornstarch in saucepan. Stir in undrained pineapple, cherries, and butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Stir in peel. Gradually stir this mixture into the egg yolk and mix thoroughly. Spoon 2 teaspoons of fruit mixture into each crust-lined muffin cup.

Bake at 350ââ¬Â for 25 minutes (check after 15 and 20 minutes because they brown suddenly) or until filling is set and crust is lightly browned.

Cool in pan for 20 minutes on wire rack. Remove tarts from pan and finish cooling.

Notes:
The dough cups dry out quickly, so I combine the filling ingredients before beginning to work with the dough. When Iââ¬â¢m about halfway through making the dough cups, I start cooking the filling so it is ready to go when the dough cups are finished. Be sure to stay close to the filling when it is cooking so it doesnââ¬â¢t scorch.
Buying 4 ounces of each color of the candied cherries will yield enough for two batches of Pineapple Tarts.

o

Posted by plantmaven (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 26, 10 at 20:06

I bake these cookies and they are wonderful.
My DIL baked them for a cookie exchange. As they are pretty nondiscript, the ladies did not want them. Finally one tasted them. She said OMG these are wonderful.

Amish Sugar Cookies
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
Directions

1.Combine butter or margarine, oil and sugars in large mixing bowl; mix well. Add eggs; beat 1 minute until well blended. Add vanilla; beat well. In separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; add to creamed mixture, mixing well. Drop by small teaspoonfuls on ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees F for 8-10 minutes.

The recipe came from my SIL's mother to my mother and then to me.

o

Posted by annie1992 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 26, 10 at 20:10

Beachlily, I get the feeling he kind of likes you. (grin) You definitely gotta love a guy who'll go to those lengths to help you bake cookies.

Amanda's favorite candy is the Brandied Cherry Balls, I also use Ann T's recipe and I used home canned brandied sweet cherries and all chocolate, no butterscotch. They're so good, she can eat half a dozen at a time.

OK, cookies. One of my favorites is craftyrn's fig cookies:

Cuccidati Recipe
================
Crust:
3/4 cup margarine
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
rind of 1 orange
4 teaspoons orange juice
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
Filling:
1 string of figs (2 cups dried or 1 eight oz. Package dried)
8 ounces raisins
8 ounces brown sugar
1 pound walnuts
1 pound dates
1 orange
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 ounces whiskey
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1-1/2 cups water
Frosting:
3 cups powdered sugar
4 ounces butter
orange juice
. .
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Crust: In large bowl, cream together first 3 ingredients. Add orange juice and orange rind. In separate bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Add to creamed mixture along with vanilla.

Filling: Prepare several days ahead of time. In a food grinder, grind figs and raisins. In large saucepan, simmer raisins and figs with brown sugar and water for 15 minutes. Grind walnuts, dates, and orange. Stir into hot mixture along with cinnamon, black pepper, and whiskey. Remove from stove, mix well, cover, and let mellow for 3 days. Note: This recipe makes enough filling for 2 batches of crust and can be divided and frozen for up to six months.

Roll dough into 3" wide strips on pastry cloth. Lay filling down the center and wrap dough to form a long "sausage-like" cookie. Roll back and forth until crust seems very thin. Cut in diagonal about every 1
1/2 inches. Place on cookie sheet close together and bake for 10-13 minutes. Cookies should be barely brown. Cool and store in tins 5 days, then frost.

Frosting: In medium bowl, mix together margarine and powdered sugar until well blened. Add enough juice to make a thick glaze. Top cookies with a thin coat. Let frosting dry a couple of hours then store in tins as follows.

To Store: Line tins with foil, place a layer of cookies, then a layer of wax paper (NOT plastic wrap). Keep repeating, ending with foil and then the lid.

I also really like these, so I'm going to have to find some almond paste pretty soon.

Almond Venetian Bars

1/2 cup almond paste
3/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs, separated
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
5 drops green food coloring
4 drops red food coloring
2/3 cup apricot preserves
3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped

ââ¬Â¢Grease the bottoms of three 8-in. square baking dishes. Line with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside.

ââ¬Â¢Place almond paste in a large bowl; break up with a fork. Add the butter, sugar, egg yolks and extract; beat until smooth and fluffy. Stir in flour and salt. In another bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Stir a fourth of the whites into the dough, then fold in the remaining whites (dough will be stiff).

ââ¬Â¢Divide dough evenly into three portions, about 2/3 cup each. Tint one portion green and one portion red; leave the remaining portion white. Spread each portion into a prepared pan. Bake at 350ð for 13-15 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Immediately invert onto wire racks; remove waxed paper. Place another wire rack on top
and turn over. Cool completely.

ââ¬Â¢Place green layer on a large piece of plastic wrap. Spread evenly with 1/3 cup apricot preserves. Top with white layer and spread with remaining preserves. Top with red layer. Bring plastic over layers. Slide onto a baking sheet and set a cutting board on top to compress layers. Refrigerate overnight.
ââ¬Â¢In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate. Remove cutting board and unwrap dessert. Spread melted chocolate over top; let stand until set. With a sharp knife, trim edges. Cut into 2-in. x 5/8-in. bars.

And, of course, Sherry's Santa's Helpers:

"Santa's Helpers."
Cookie:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
Add 1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
Beat until smooth
Add:
2 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
Beat until smooth
Topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Stir until smooth and then add:
1 cup chopped walnuts

Divide dough into quarters. Form each quarter into 6 balls. Place 2" apart on ungreased cookie sheet. With finger, make a wide deep depression in each cookie, clear to the edge. Fill with topping. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes, (or in a convection oven, about 9 minutes)
If you undercook these, the filling is so heavy that it will break through when you pick them up, so I make them crunchy. You could also not make the depression in them as deep and there would be more dough to suport the filling so that it did not break through. These are my family's favorite cookies, and we have never ever seen them anywhere else. (They were my secret weapon)
Also, if I make a huge depression in them, I sometimes make half again as much filling so I don't run out.
Makes 24 cookies

Annie

o

Sat, Nov 27, 10 at 7:22

THis is a new recipe I developed over the last few days. Quite tasty if I do say so myself!

'Alexa

Frangelico Balls
1 cup Nilla Wafer crumbs
1 cup toasted hazelnuts, finely chopped
1 cup melted white chocolate
1 - 2 tbsp Frangelico
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp heavy cream
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Optional - powdered sugar and nutmeg

Melt white chocolate in microwave, stirring frequently.

In a medium bowl, mix everything together. Form into small balls about the size of a grape. Chill until firm. If desired, mix powdered sugar with a little nutmeg, roll balls in sugar before serving.

o

Posted by sally2 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 27, 10 at 8:28

I'm so excited about this thread and cookalong! I've never been very imaginative about cookies, so I'm always glad to get new recipes. I will rack my brain to see if I have anything good to add, but to be honest, my best recipes for cookies I've gotten from you all, so I'd be sharing your recipes with you. I'll have to do some research to come up with something good enough to give to all of you!

Sally

o

Posted by traceys (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 27, 10 at 9:10

This is a great thread. My daughter is in a baking mood, so I'll read the recipes to her, so she can choose.

Here is my contribution. I don't really like chocolate chip cookies, but this is by far my favorite, and I've tried a lot of recipes. My changes are in parenthesis and in the notes below. I do like them better with dark brown sugar, but some may not.

Don't forget the sea salt on top and use the best chocolate you can get.

Chocolate Chip Cookies Jacques Torres

New York Times
Adapted from Jacques Torres

Time: 45 minutes (for 1 6-cookie batch), plus at least 24 hoursââ¬â¢
chilling

2 cups minus 2 tablespoons (8 1/2 ounces) cake flour

1 2/3 cups (8 1/2 ounces) bread flour

1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt

2 1/2 sticks (1 1/4 cups) unsalted butter

1 1/4 cups (10 ounces) light brown sugar ( I use 10 ounces Dark Brown Sugar)

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (8 ounces) granulated sugar

2 large eggs

2 teaspoons natural vanilla extract

1 1/4 pounds bittersweet chocolate disks or fèves, at least 60 percent
cacao content (see note) (I use Ghiardelli 60% bittersweet chips )

Sea salt.

1. Sift flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Set
aside.

2. Using a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars
together until very light, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time,
mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Reduce speed to
low, add dry ingredients and mix until just combined, 5 to 10 seconds.
Drop chocolate pieces in and incorporate them without breaking them.
Press plastic wrap against dough and refrigerate for 24 to 36 hours.
Dough may be used in batches, and can be refrigerated for up to 72
hours.

3. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet
with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat. Set aside.

4. Scoop 6 3 1/2-ounce mounds of dough (the size of generous golf
balls) onto baking sheet, making sure to turn horizontally any
chocolate pieces that are poking up; it will make for a more attractive
cookie. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and bake until golden brown but
still soft, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer sheet to a wire rack for 10
minutes, then slip cookies onto another rack to cool a bit more. Repeat
with remaining dough, or reserve dough, refrigerated, for baking
remaining batches the next day. Eat warm, with a big napkin.

Yield: 1 1/2 dozen 5-inch cookies.

Note: Disks are sold at Jacques Torres Chocolate; Valrhona fèves,
oval-shaped chocolate pieces, are at Whole Foods.

Traceyââ¬â¢s Notes

I weigh the ingredients.

Use all dark brown sugar

Use 1 ý Tablespoon scoop and reduce baking time to approx. 10 minutes.

Chill for at least 24 hours. I chill for 48 hours.

Donââ¬â¢t forget to sprinkle with sea salt.

Make approx. 4 dozen with 1 1/2 T scoop.

o

Posted by pat_t (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 27, 10 at 9:34

It just wouldn't be Christmas without these:

PECAN TASSIES

1 stick (1/2 cup) plus 1 Tblsp. butter, softened
3 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 large egg
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/8 tsp. vanilla extract

In a bowl combine 1 stick of butter and the cream cheese. Stir in the flour, and form dough into a ball. Divide dough into 24 pieces and press into the bottom and up the sides of 24 small (2 Tblsp. size) muffin tins. In a small bowl beat the egg lightly with the brown sugar and stir in pecans, the remaining 1 Tblsp. butter, vanilla, and a pinch of salt. Divide the filling among the pastry-lined tins and bake at 350 degrees F. for 25 minutes, or until the filling is puffed slightly and the pastry is golden. Let cool on a wire rack. Makes 24 confections.

ALMOND BRICKLE SUGAR COOKIES

2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter, softened (no substitutes)
1 egg
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 (6 oz.) pkg. almond brickle chips (toffee chips)

Heat oven to 350ð F. In large mixer bowl combine all ingredients except brickle bits. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed (2 to 3 minutes). By hand, stir in brickle bits. Shape rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into 1-inch balls; flatten slightly. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 8 to 11 minutes or until edges are very lightly browned.

VARIATION:

Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookies: 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips can be substituted for 1 (6 oz.) package brickle bits.

Recipe from Land Oââ¬â¢ Lakes.

And even though this isn't a cookie - it's a must have at our house:

SNICKERS FUDGE

Bottom Layer:
1 cup milk chocolate chips (6 oz.)
1/4 cup butterscotch chips
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter

Filling:
1/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1-1/2 cups marshmallow cream
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1-1/2 cups chopped salted peanuts

Caramel Layer:
14 oz. pkg. caramels
1/4 cup whipping cream

Icing:
1 cup milk chocolate chips (6 oz.)
1/4 cup butterscotch chips
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter

Combine the first 3 ingredients in a small saucepan; stir over low heat until melted and smooth. Spread onto the bottom of a lightly greased 13X9X2 in. pan. Refrigerate until set.

For filling, melt butter in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sugar and milk. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 5 min. Remove from heat; stir in the marshmallow crème, peanut butter and vanilla. Add peanuts. Spread over first layer. Refrigerate until set.

Caramel Layer:
Combine caramels and cream in a saucepan; stir over low heat until melted and smooth. Spread over the filling. Refrigerate until set.

Icing:
In another saucepan, combine chips and peanut butter; stir over low heat until melted and smooth. Pour over the caramel layer. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Cut into 1 in. squares. Store in the refrigerator.

Recipe from Kellie at Nanaââ¬â¢s Kitchen.

o

Posted by ann_t (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 27, 10 at 9:54

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Chocolate Chip Crescents
========================

Source: Patty

1-3/4 cups pastry flour
3/4 cup pecans chopped
1 cup chocolate chips
3/4 cup butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup icing sugar
3/4 teaspoon rum
2 tablespoons cold water

Cream Butter and Sugar and rum. Add flour, salt, chopped pecans, chocolate chips. Add water if needed.

Shape into small crescents and bake at 325ð For 23 minutes.

Truffles - Crisp Chocolate Truffles
===================================

1 jar 7 oz marshmallow cream

2 tablespoons butter

2 cups Rice Krispies

14 ounces bittersweet chocolate
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening

White chocolate chips.

In heavy saucepan combine marshmallow creme, butter and chocolate
chips. Cook over low heat until chocolate is melted and mixture is
smooth, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.

Stir rice Krispies into hot mixture, mixing until thoroughly combined.
Drop mixture by rounded measuring teaspoons onto waxed paper lined
cookie sheet. Shape into round balls and Refrigerate about 1 hour or
until firm.

Melt bittersweet chocolate with shortening and dip each chocolate ball
in melted chocolate and place on waxed paper-lined cookie sheet. Melt
white chocolate and place in zip lock bag. Cut tiny hole in corner of
bag and drizzle white chocolate over truffles. Refrigerate until firm.

Place in small candy paper cups.

Magic Chocolate Balls
=====================

3 (175G) packages of semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk

1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract (or rum)

Finely chopped nuts,
Flaked Coconut
Chocolate Sprinkles,
Unsweetened Cocoa
Or Icing Sugar
. In heavy saucepan, over low heat, melt chocolate chips with condensed
milk. Remove from hat, stir in vanilla. Chill for 2 hours or until
firm. Shape into 3/4 inch balls; roll in one of the optional coatings.

Chill until firm.

These can also be frozen.

Shortbreads
===========

Patty's Recipe

300 degrees for 45 - 50 minutes

1/2 cup butter
Pinch salt
Pinch baking soda
1/4 cup fruit sugar, (Same as Berry sugar or very fine granulated sugar)
1 cup flour
Sugar to dredge
. Mix together Flour, salt and baking soda.

Cream butter and fruit sugar. Add flour mixture and mix well.

Pat firmly into round cake pan. Use tines of fork to make a decorate
edge around the outside of the dough. Now use fork to poke holes all
over surface. (This stops the shortbread from rising up during
baking.. Bake in low oven until just starting to colour. Should not
brown.

Remove from oven and sprinkle with fine sugar. Let sit 5 minutes and
then Cut into wedges while still warm. Do not remove shortbread
wedges from pan until cool.

Note:

This recipe can be doubled and baked in a rectangle pan, and cut into
fingers rather than wedges.

Cream Cheese Brandy Cherry Balls.

Source: 1983 Oct/Nov. Entertainment and Recipe Booklet

1/2 cup maraschino cherries, quartered
2 tablespoons Brandy
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 8 ounce package cream cheese
2 cups mini marshmallows
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 cups flaked coconut
. Marinate cherries at least 4 hours or overnite in brandy Melt Chocolate
chips and butterscotch chips and add cream cheese. Stir in cherries,
marshmallows and walnuts and refrigerate until cold enough to roll into
balls. Roll in coconut. Refrigerate. The longer the better. The
flavours intensify.

Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies

1 cup butter
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 cup chocolate chips
. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla, flour,
salt, and chocolate chips.
Roll into 1 inch balls. Dip fork in to white sugar and flatten cookie.

Bake at 325ð until golden. Approximately 14 to 16 minutes. Do not let
brown.

o

Sun, Nov 28, 10 at 10:05

I made a batch of Peanut Butter Blossoms yesterday. Have about 3 dozen in the freezer. Let the holiday baking begin!

I have a feeling several of the recipes posted here will be on my cookie platters this season!

Linda

o

Sun, Nov 28, 10 at 11:19

I made these yesterday for the first time... oh my they are GOOD! I did sub bourbon for the milk, added 1/2 tsp of orange oil and omitted the nutmeg and nuts. THey are wonderfully chewy and have a great flavor.

Jewel Cookies
These cookies are made with candied fruits.
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 12 minutes
Ingredients:
ââ¬Â¢ 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, stir before measuring
ââ¬Â¢ 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
ââ¬Â¢ 1 teaspoon nutmeg
ââ¬Â¢ 1/2 teaspoon salt
ââ¬Â¢ 1/2 cup shortening
ââ¬Â¢ 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
ââ¬Â¢ 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
ââ¬Â¢ 1 egg
ââ¬Â¢ 2 tablespoons milk
ââ¬Â¢ 1/2 cup chopped nuts
ââ¬Â¢ 1/3 cup chopped candied cherries
ââ¬Â¢ 2 tablespoons chopped candied fruits
ââ¬Â¢ 2 tablespoons chopped candied peels
Preparation:
Preheat oven lo 375ð. Sift flour with baking soda, nutmeg, and salt. Beat together shortening, brown sugar, vanilla, and egg until well-blended. Blend in half of flour mixture, then milk, then remaining flour mixture. Stir in chopped nuts, cherries, candied fruit and peel. Drop by level tablespoons about 2 inches apart, onto greased baking sheets. Press lightly with a flat-bottomed glass covered with a damp cloth. Bake 10 to 12 minutes at 375ð. Makes about 3 dozen fruit cookies.

o

Posted by craftyrn (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 28, 10 at 14:15

Perfect timing Nancy-- just today got around to starting my doughs etc;
These have to go on my gift trays:
Nancy's Cutouts-- firm yet stay soft ,easy to roll & cut out and the icing is great!

Cuccidati:Free Image Hosting at

Other must haves:
Dianeââ¬â¢s Home Cookin Chapter: Christmas Cookies
Snowballs/Russian Tea Cakes/Mexican wedding��"with either pecans or pistachios
Woodieââ¬â¢s Chocolate Walnut puffs:

Chocolate Walnut Puffs
======================
1 cup (6 ounce package) semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 egg whites, room temp
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 tablespoon white vinegar
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
. Preheat oven to 350. Grease cookie sheet. Melt chocolate over warm
water. Beat egg whites with salt til foamy. Gradually add sugar. Beat
til peaks form. Beat in vanilla and vinegar. Fold in chocolate and
nuts. Drop from teaspoon onto cookie sheet. Bake 10 minutes at 350.
Makes 36 cookies

Home Cookin Chapter: Christmas Cookies

Mom's Italian Spice/Pepper Cookies
==================================
Preheat oven to 400ð
Slightly grease cookie sheet

1/2 cup shortening-melted & cooled slightly
1 cup strong brewed coffee-slightly cooled
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup dutch cocoa
2-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon allspice or cardamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons grape jelly
1 tablespoon brandy ( I use JD. for Hubby )
4 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 cup finely chopped hazelnuts

Confectioners sugar & enough milk or brandy to make thin glaze
. Combine sugar, cocoa, spices & baking powder. Mix melted shortening
with coffee & stir into sugar/spice combo, mix well. Add vanilla, grape
jelly,brandy & nuts-mix well. Add flour 1 cup at a time mixing very
well to fully incorporate each cup.Dough will be stiff but sticky.
Using heaping tbsp of dough roll into ball form-place on slightly
greased sheet--bake 10 min at 400ð. Time these well-do not over
bake--they're like brownies-don't look quiet done but will look dry.
When cool dip into thin glaze made with confectioners sugar and milk or
brandy

Rocky Road Bars
===============
Base:
ý c butter
1 ounce unsweetened choc , chopped
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup chopped nuts
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs

Filling:
8 ounces package cream cheese, softened ( reserve 2 ounce for frosting )
1/4 cup butter , softened
ý c sugar
2 tablespoons flour
ý tsp vanilla
1 egg
1/4 cup chopped nuts
1 cup choc chips

Frosting:
2 cups miniature marshmallows
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup milk
1 ounce unsweetened choc- chopped
3 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
. Preheat oven to 350 degrees-Grease & flour 13 x 9 in pan.

In lrg pan over low heat melt the ý c butter & 1 oz unsweetened
chocolate, stirring until smooth.. Remove from heat & add the 1 c flour
& remaining base ingredients. Spread in prepared pan .

In small bowl combine filling ingredients except the 1/4 c nuts & the
choc chips. Beat until smooth & fluffy-stir in nuts. Spread over base &
sprinkle with choc chips. Bake for 25-30 min. then sprinkle with the
mini marshmallows & continue to bake for 2 min.

Make Frosting: In lrg saucepan over low heat combine the butter, milk
,1 oz of chopped unsweetened choc & the reserved cream cheese; stir
until well blended. Remove from heat & stir in vanilla confectioners
sugar-blend until smooth & spoon warm frosting over marshmallows.
Lightly pull knife thru frosting & marshmallows in wide curves to
marble. Makes 48 bars

Italian Lemon Balls Free Image Hosting at

Italian Lemon Drops
===================
1 cup Granulated Sugar

1/2 cup Shortening

6 Eggs

1 teaspoon Lemon Extract

4 cups Flour

1 teaspoon Grated, Chopped Lemon Zest

2-1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder

dash Of Salt
. For Icing:

2 Cups Powdered Sugar

Fresh Lemon Juice . Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Either lightly
grease two baking or cookie sheets, or use silicon sheets on them. In a
large bowl, cream together the sugar and shortening. Add the eggs,
lemon extract and grated lemon zest, and mix well. Stir together the
flour, salt, and baking powder. Add this dry mixture to the bowl with
the eggs and mix well. Roll the dough into small balls about 3/4 inch
big, and place on the baking sheets at least 1 to 2 inches apart. Bake
the cookies for 10 to 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

In a medium bowl with an electric mixer, beat together the powdered
sugar and a tablespoon or two of lemon juice. Only add as much lemon
juice as is needed to make an icing that will coat the cookies. With a
small spoon, drizzle the icing over the cookies, allowing it to run
down the sides. Let sit out for an hour or two until set. Store in an
airtight container

And usually Rugelah, Salted Peanut Chews, Anise Pillows, Polish Walnut Crescents, Spritz, Pecan Tassies

o

Posted by tami_ohio (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 28, 10 at 14:32

Do I have to make them now? If I do, there won't be any left for Christmas! I'll still share our favorites with you all. And I bought 10# of sugar at Costco this morning.

GRANDMA HOLCOMBââ¬â¢S BON BON COOKIES
3 Dozen

1 c. butter
1 ý c. powdered sugar
1 egg
ý t. vanilla
2 ü c. sifted flour - sift before measuring
ý t. salt
ý t. baking powder

Refrigerate over night, or at least 1 hour. Roll in balls, flatten slightly.
Roll in balls, flatten slightly.
350ð

Well, this is one of them, anyway. I'll have to go find the cook book and type them up to keep on the computer. I thought they were all on here, but I guess not.

Tami

Comments (3)

• Tamara
    8 years ago

Posted by booberry85 (becky@leadsafe.us) on Sun, Nov 28, 10 at 19:04

I made the Butterhorns and Doucanoe's Holiday Biscotti today with my nieces. Yum! They both got a big thumbs up from the nieces!

o RE: Cookalong Extra! ****Holiday Cookies**** clip this post email this post what is this?

Posted by lakeguy35 (My Page) on Sun, Nov 28, 10 at 20:25

Great idea Nancy! This will be a great reference for holiday cookies and treats. I have a couple of good bar recipes and would love to see some recipes for those too if that's cool with everyone.

Here is a great Gingersnap recipe that Ann shared a few years back. I'll be back with a few more next week.

Image Hosting by

Gingersnaps - Extra-Spicy Gingersnaps ===================================== Posted by: KarenInSeattle on Thu, Oct 17, 02 at 19:14

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon 1 teaspoon ground ginger, or more to taste 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper 8 tablespoons (1 stick) cool unsalted butter, cut into pieces 1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus extra for rolling 1 cup light brown sugar, packed 1/3 cup molasses (not blackstrap) 1/4 cup egg whites (from about 2 eggs)

Combine the flour, baking soda, and spices in a mixing bowl and set aside. Cream the butter until smooth and fluffy in a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or using a hand mixer). Add the sugars and mix. Add the molasses and mix. Add the egg whites in 2 batches, mixing to combine after each addition. Add the dry ingredients in three batches, mixing to combine after each addition.

Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spread a few tablespoons of granulated sugar on a small plate.

Roll the dough into 3/4-inch balls, then roll each ball in the sugar until lightly coated. Transfer to parchment lined cookie sheets, leaving 1-inch of space between the cookies. Bake until browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool on wire racks and store in an airtight container.
    Yield: 60 cookies

David

o RE: Cookalong Extra! ****Holiday Cookies**** clip this post email this post what is this?

Posted by momof2doxies (My Page) on Mon, Nov 29, 10 at 21:28

The World Peace Cookies always make it into my baskets. I can't remember who shared this recipe with the forum though.

World Peace Cookies - Splendid Table Excerpted from Baking: From My House to Yours by Dorie Greenspan (Houghton Mifflin, 2006). Copyright 2006 by Dorie Greenspan.
    Makes about 36 cookies I once said I thought these cookies, the brainchild of the Parisian pastry chef Pierre Hermé, were as important a culinary breakthrough as Toll House cookies, and I've never thought better of the statement. These butter-rich, sandy-textured slice-and-bake cookies are members of the sablé family. But, unlike classic sablés, they are midnight dark �" there's cocoa in the dough �" and packed with chunks of hand-chopped bittersweet chocolate. Perhaps most memorably, they're salty. Not just a little salty, but remarkably and sensationally salty. It's the salt �" Pierre uses fleur de sel, a moist, off-white sea salt �" that surprises, delights and makes the chocolate flavors in the cookies seem preternaturally profound.
    When I included these in Paris Sweets, they were called Korova Cookies and they instantly won fans, among them my neighbor Richard Gold, who gave them their new name. Richard is convinced that a daily dose of Pierre's cookies is all that is needed to ensure planetary peace and happiness.
    * 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour * 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder * 1/2 teaspoon baking soda * 1 stick plus 3 tablespoons (11 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature * 2/3 cup (packed) light brown sugar * 1/4 cup sugar * 1/2 teaspoon fleur de sel or 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt * 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract * 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped into chips, or a generous 3/4 cup store-bought mini chocolate chips 1. Sift the flour, cocoa and baking soda together.
    2. Working with a stand mixer, preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the butter on medium speed until soft and creamy. Add both sugars, the salt and vanilla extract and beat for 2 minutes more.
    3. Turn off the mixer. Pour in the dry ingredients, drape a kitchen towel over the stand mixer to protect yourself and your kitchen from flying flour and pulse the mixer at low speed about 5 times, a second or two each time. Take a peek �" if there is still a lot of flour on the surface of the dough, pulse a couple of times more; if not, remove the towel. Continuing at low speed, mix for about 30 seconds more, just until the flour disappears into the dough �" for the best texture, work the dough as little as possible once the flour is added, and don't be concerned if the dough looks a little crumbly. Toss in the chocolate pieces and mix only to incorporate.
    4. Turn the dough out onto a work surface, gather it together and divide it in half. Working with one half at a time, shape the dough into logs that are 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap the logs in plastic wrap and refrigerate them for at least 3 hours. (The dough can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 2 months. If you've frozen the dough, you needn't defrost it before baking �" just slice the logs into cookies and bake the cookies 1 minute longer.) Getting Ready to Bake:
    5. Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment or silicone mats.
    6. Using a sharp thin knife, slice the logs into rounds that are 1/2 inch thick. (The rounds are likely to crack as you're cutting them �" don't be concerned, just squeeze the bits back onto each cookie.) Arrange the rounds on the baking sheets, leaving about 1 inch between them.
    7. Bake the cookies one sheet at a time for 12 minutes �" they won't look done, nor will they be firm, but that's just the way they should be. Transfer the baking sheet to a cooling rack and let the cookies rest until they are only just warm, at which point you can serve them or let them reach room temperature.

Linda

Posted by jojoco (My Page) on Tue, Nov 30, 10 at 12:04

While rugelach might not appear on many traditional Christmas cookie platters, it is always on mine.

Photobucket

Rugelach 2001, Barefoot Contessa Parties!, All Rights Reserved

.Prep Time:10 minInactive Prep Time:1 hr 30 minCook Time:15 minLevel:
    EasyServes:
    4 dozen cookies.Ingredients •8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature •1/2-pound unsalted butter, at room temperature •1/4 cup granulated sugar plus 9 tablespoons •1/4 teaspoon kosher salt •1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract •2 cups all-purpose flour •1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed •1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon •3/4 cup raisins •1 cup walnuts, finely chopped •1/2 cup apricot preserves, pureed in a food processor •1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon milk, for egg wash Directions Cream the cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until light. Add 1/4 cup granulated sugar, the salt, and vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour and mix until just combined. Dump the dough out onto a well-floured board and roll it into a ball. Cut the ball in quarters, wrap each piece in plastic, and refrigerate for 1 hour.

To make the filling, combine 6 tablespoons of granulated sugar, the brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, the raisins, and walnuts.

On a well-floured board, roll each ball of dough into a 9-inch circle. Spread the dough with 2 tablespoons apricot preserves and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the filling. Press the filling lightly into the dough. Cut the circle into 12 equal wedges��"cutting the whole circle in quarters, then each quarter into thirds. Starting with the wide edge, roll up each wedge. Place the cookies, points tucked under, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Chill for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Brush each cookie with the egg wash. Combine 3 tablespoons granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon and sprinkle on the cookies. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack and let cool.

.Printed from on Tue Nov 30 2010 © 2010 Television Food Network, G.P. All Rights Reserved

This is a fabulous recipe that also freezes well.
    It is labor intensive, but well worth it.

Jo

Posted by chase (My Page) on Tue, Nov 30, 10 at 12:47

David , I love you big guy...but you knew that!

I have been watching this thread for a 5th cookie that would complement the cookie recipes I had settled on for our annual cookie bake yet still being something Sara can manage.

Those gingersnaps are it!

Posted by jude31 (My Page) on Wed, Dec 1, 10 at 9:36

"Sleighbells ring!!! Are you listening?" We have a few sprinkles of snow at my house! Yeah I know, so what? In the sunny south it's not that common and how appropriate that it's the first day of December!

Love this thread and I'm going to save it all. I, the non- baker, have selected 18 recipes I'd like to try. We'll see how that goes.

I have a question. Many years ago I made a recipe where the dough was cut in squares and had a filling that had cinnamon, nuts and I can't remember what else. The spoonful of filling was placed in the center of the square and the corners gathered up on top. Sound familiar to anyone? I love most anything that has cinnamon and nuts.
    I hope this rings a bell with someone.

jude

Posted by coconut-nj (My Page) on Wed, Dec 1, 10 at 10:43

Jude a little snow sure can put you in the spirit. We're having rain and high winds.

Thanks for starting this thread Nancy. I've been loving it. There sure are a lot of cookies I'd like to make, but there are several I will make for sure this season. As I said on another thread I'm going to try your cream cheese cutouts. I love rugelach and other cream cheese based pastries so these sound like a winner to me.

Plantmaven, I love recipes that have been handed down, plus I like cookies that are dark horses, as my contribution will show, so the Amish Sugar Cookies are making the list too.

Lori's jam thumbprints are calling me... seriously calling... Cocooonuttt... Coconutttt. Real little yappers those ones.

Love rugelach so some version of those, lekvar is my fave.

Other than those for sure... hmm.. gingernaps, butterhorns, some type of biscotti..oh, the cuccidati..time will tell.

Last year I made the World Peace Cookies and everyone loved them.

My offering is an unusual cookie. We first got them about fifteen or twenty years ago from a coworker of Christy and have been making them ever since. They're a soft cookie that's in between a sweet biscuit and cake-like. Hard to describe but very addicting. Not overly sweet.

Ricotta Cookies from Elaine

1 C. sugar 1/2# butter 3 eggs 1# ricotta 2 tsp. vanilla 4 C. flour 1 tsp. baking powder 1 tsp. salt

Cream sugar and butter well. Add the eggs, one at a time. Stir in the ricotta and vanilla. Mix the dry ingredients together and add until just well incorporated.

Drop by spoonful on a greased pan/parchment paper. Bake at 350 for about 12 minutes.

Allow cookies to cool most of the way then glaze. Sometimes we put a few nonpareils on the wet glaze.

Glaze

1 box 10X/Confectioners sugar 1 stick butter 1 tsp. vanilla milk

Cream sugar and butter. Add vanilla and enough milk to form a glaze.

You can vary the recipe by adding a few tablespoons of lemon juice to the dough and/or a teaspoon of lemon zest to the glaze. We generally make them the plain traditional way.

I'd also like to include one more shortbread from my Aunt.

Aunt Minervas Scotch Shortbread

1 C. butter [soft] 5/8 C. sugar [1/2C + 2T.] 2 1/2 C. flour

Mix butter and sugar thoroughly and add flour.
    Chill dough and roll to 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick.
    These cut nicely with simple cutters. Our tradition is to use a small 2" star.
    Bake on ungreased pan at 300 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Edges should have barely begun to color.

Posted by triciae (My Page) on Wed, Dec 1, 10 at 11:49

It's simply not the holidays without these cookies around our house & now our grown kids' homes as well. The recipe is from my maternal great grandmother, Harriett Mariah. She was born in 1836 & died in 1913. Harriett was married in 1855 & these are Civil War era cookies. Families were large then so this recipe makes a lot of cookies. My cookie cutters are large - mostly those 5-6" copper ones & I still get 4-5 dozen. They are also not overly sweet (sugar was expensive in the mid-1800s!). They're tender & a bit cake-like but hold their shape for cut-outs. Freshly grated nutmeg makes a huge difference as does the sour milk. After glazing with the egg wash, I sprinkle with non-melting sugar crystals from KA but they are also good iced/decorated. We just prefer them without the sweet icing.

HARRIETT MARIAH RUNNELS HARTZELL'S CHRISTMAS SUGAR COOKIES

Ingredients:
    2 Cups Sugar 2 Eggs (slightly beaten) 1 Cup Butter (softened) 1 Cup Whole Milk (soured) 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder 1/2 Teaspoon Salt 1 Teaspoon Nutmeg (freshly grated) 5-6 Cups All-Purpose Flour (enough to make a moderately stiff dough - should still be a bit soft)

Glaze: 1 Egg & 2 Tablespoons Water Blended

Cream the softened butter with the sugar until light & fluffy. Add the beaten eggs and continue beating until mixture is light yellow. Stir in the baking soda, baking powder, salt, and ground nutmeg. Alternately, add equal portions of the all-purpose flour and soured milk, stirring well after each addition. When the flour is completely blended into the butter/sugar mixture, you will have a soft dough. Shape dough into a ball, cover, and refrigerate for 1-2 hours until slightly firm before rolling. When chilled, divide the dough into two equal portions and return one portion to the refrigerator. On a lightly floured pastry board, roll one portion of the dough to a thickness of approximately 1/4 inch. Place cut cookies on a non-greased baking sheet and brush lightly with the egg/water glaze. Sprinkle with granulated sugar or colored sugar crystals. BAKE AT 325 DEGREES for 20-25 minutes. Cookies will puff slightly during baking. Do not overbake. They should still be white on the top & just beginning to turn golden on the bottom. They will be firm to the touch but not crisp.

Coconut, your cookies sound very good. We'll add them to this year's list. There are so many yummy cookies here it's hard to narrow it down to something reasonable for 2 people! :)

/tricia

Posted by coconut-nj (My Page) on Wed, Dec 1, 10 at 11:56

LOL Tricia, thanks. I know what you mean. We are only two here too. We do send some but what I tend to do for us is make one pan of a cookie then freeze the rest of the dough in quart baggies then bring out a few at a time. I like fresh cookies anyway so this works for us. Luckily most/many cookie doughs freeze or even keep in the fridge for quite a while. Something like my ricotta cookie that doesn't freeze as well I just freeze the cookies right away and glaze later.

Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Wed, Dec 1, 10 at 13:39

I hope everyone keeps adding their faveroites. I have more to add myself.

This is turning out to be a marvelous list, it wil keep me in 'cookies to try' for a long time and I love that thought.

Coconut, the ricotta cookies scream at me to add a little lemon zest. There was a ricotta pancake recipe a few years ago that had lemon zest in them and they were to die for. I saw your note and can't wait to try.

Nancy

Posted by lakemayor (My Page) on Wed, Dec 1, 10 at 16:45

It's like a winter wonderland here in Michigan today. About two inches of snow so far. It made me excited to bake cookies!!! So I started.

I just took Doucanoe's "Holiday Biscotti" out of the oven and it smells heavenly. Thank you!

As I was looking through my cookies recipes, I came across one that I haven't made in years but remember that I loved it so. Here it is! I remember I always doubled the recipe.

Czechoslovakian Cookie

1 Cup butter 1 Cup sugar 2 Egg yolks 2 Cups flour 1 Cup chopped walnuts (I'm sure pecans could be used) 3/4 Cup strawberry jam

Cream butter and sugar, beat in egg yolks. Gradully stir in flour, then walnuts. Form mixture into a ball and cut in half. Wrap one half of dough in plastic wrap and place in freezer to chill.

Pat remaining half of dough into an ungreased square cake pan (9x9) Spread jam over mixture. Remove remaining half of dough from freezer and roll between two pieces of wax paper to 9x9 size. Remove wax paper and invert in pan. Peel off the remaining paper and gently press edges of dough against pan.
    Bake 325 for 55-60 minutes. Cut into small bars.

Posted by tropicals9b (My Page) on Wed, Dec 1, 10 at 21:47

I made the Ina Garten Jam Thumbprints last night and was so mad - they were awful! Tasted like lumps of raw flour! I wasted 3 sticks of butter and all the other ingredients!

But after sitting out overnight, room temp, covered in plastic wrap....today they are phenomenal. I brought them in to work and people went nuts over them.

Thanks for posting it!

Posted by therustyone (My Page) on Thu, Dec 2, 10 at 10:59

"Many years ago I made a recipe where the dough was cut in squares and had a filling that had cinnamon, nuts and I can't remember what else. The spoonful of filling was placed in the center of the square and the corners gathered up on top."

That sounds like Hamentaschen (sp?), maybe?
    I've never made them, but have been wanting to try them.
    So I'm looking for a recipe for them too.

Here is one my mother used to make, many years ago It's from a cookbook she had that was apparently put out by the Burnett Co, a brand of extracts and I don't know what all else they may have made.

We used to cut them out in different shapes & sprinkle with colored sugar at Christmas.

SAND TARTS

1/2 C shortening 1 C sugar 1 egg 1 Tbsp water 2 C flour 2 Tsp baking powder 1/4 Tsp salt 1/4 C almonds 1 Tsp Burnett's vanilla

Blend shortening & sugar.
    Add egg and water.
    Beat thoroughly.
    Add flour, salt, and baking powder, which have been mixed together.
    Mix well.
    Chill.
    Turn out onto a floured molding board and roll very thin.
    Cut into diamonds and sprinkle with sugar and Burnett's ground cinnamon.
    Place 2 or 3 blnched almonds on top of each diamond and place cookies on greased baking sheets.
    Bake in a moderate oven (350 degrees) for 10 minutes.
    Burnett's Lemon, Raspberry, Cherry, Strawberry, Maple, Almond or Orange Extract may be used instead of Burnett''s Vanilla.
    Burnett's Food Colors may be sued to color these cookies any desired shade.

I have typed this recipe exactly the way it is worded on this old cookbook page I have.
    I thought it kind on interesting, so may be some of you will, too.

Now days, here in Texas, "Sand Tarts" are a completely different kind of cookie, not a cut out at all, but more of a 'rolled into a ball' type, and have finely chopped nuts in them, then rolled in powdered sugar.

I have a couple more recipes, will post them later.
    I'm out of time now.

Rusty

Posted by solsthumper (My Page) on Thu, Dec 2, 10 at 11:37

Here's a list of some of my favorites. You'll have to scroll down a bit to get to the recipes.
    My favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe is not on the same page, so I'll add it below.

Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Cookies

2½ cups AP flour 1 teaspoon baking soda 1 teaspoon salt 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature 2 cups light brown sugar, packed 2 large eggs 1 tablespoon vanilla extract 2 cups semisweet chocolate chunks, or chocolate chips ½ cup chopped walnuts, optional

Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. In a mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla. On low speed, add the flour mixture, and mix until barely blended. Add chocolate chunks, and nuts.
    Drop by tablespoons onto sheet pan and bake in a 350°F oven, for 12-15 minutes.

Sol

Posted by tracey_oh (My Page) on Sat, Dec 4, 10 at 9:30

Let the holiday baking begin! This is such a great thread. I make cookies all the time so Christmas is the one time a year I make candy. Made microwave caramels and peanut clusters last night for a cookie exchange and DS's middle school band reception. Buckeyes will coming in the next week and before Christmas I will make my usual toffee, peanut brittle, Sharon's peppermint bark, and caramel corn.

caramels and peanut clusters

Aunt Pat's Peanut Clusters

1 lb white almond bark 1 12 oz bag chocolate chips 20 oz salted Spanish peanuts

Melt almond bark and chocolate chips together, stir in peanuts and scoop into balls onto wax paper.

Here is a link that might be useful: Micro caramels recipe o RE: Cookalong Extra! ****Holiday Cookies**** clip this post email this post what is this?

Posted by sally2 (My Page) on Sun, Dec 5, 10 at 16:28

Those look great, Tracy!

Nancy, I have a question about your cream cheese sugar cookies. Could I substitute Marscapone? I have some in the fridge, but no cream cheese.

Sally

Posted by woodie2 (My Page) on Sun, Dec 5, 10 at 18:02

Coconut I make almost the identical Ricotta cookies, but Wiz, I wouldn't want lemon in mine, I love the vanilla ricotta cake like taste, just melts in your mouth!

I have a lot of favorites and some are from this forum over the years and have been posted above already! Here are a couple that haven't been posted yet with thanks to Diane and Jenn and my Mom and Grandma.....................

CRAFTYRN'S TIGER BARK =========== 1 Cup milk chocolate chips 2 Cups (12 ounces) vanilla milk chips or almond bark 2 Cups peanut butter chips 1/2 Cup chopped peanuts

Line jellyroll pan with foil. In microwave, melt 3 types of chips separately, stirring until smooth. Pour melted peanut butter chips into prepared pan, spreading level. Sprinkle on peanuts. Pour melted vanilla and chocolate chips on top, drizzling each randomly. To marbleize, use knife to pull through chocolate in wide curves. Refrigerate until set. Break into squares .

WOODIE'S MOM'S TOFFEE SQUARES

1 cup butter 1 cup brown sugar 1 egg yolk 1 teaspoon vanilla 2 cups flour 1/4 teaspoon salt 3 to 4 milk chocolate bars (7/8 ounces each) 1/2 cup chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 350.
    Mix butter, sugar, egg yolk and vanilla. Stir in flour and salt until dough is well blended. Spread in a rectangle about 13 x 10 inches on greased baking sheet, leaving about 1 inch all around edges. Bake 20 to 25 minutes at 350 or until nicely browned. Crust will still be soft. Remove from oven. Immediately place separated squares of chocolate on top of hot crust. Let stand until soft; then spread evenly over entire surface. Sprinkle with nuts while still warm then cut into small squares while warm.
    Makes 6 to 7 dozen squares

MY GRANDMA'S CHOCOLATE WALNUT PUFFS

1 cup (6 ounce package) semi-sweet chocolate chips 2 egg whites, room temp 1/8 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup sugar 1/2 teaspoon vanilla 1/2 tablespoon white vinegar 3/4 cups chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350.
    Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
    Melt chocolate over warm water.
    Beat egg whites with salt til foamy. Gradually add sugar. Beat til peaks form. Beat in vanilla and vinegar. Fold in chocolate and nuts. Drop from teaspoon onto cookie sheet. Bake 10 minutes at 350. Remove from oven and let sit on cookie sheet for 2-3 minutes to set up.
    Makes 36 cookies

JENN'S CRANBERRY LEMON COOKIES A wonderful cookie I discovered at Gail's Recipe Swap. They freeze well, but thaw them before adding icing. I posted this last year and got quite a few comments from people who said everyone loved them.

* 1/2 C butter * 1/2 C sugar * 1/3 C brown sugar * 1/2 tsp. lemon zest * 1 egg * 2 tsp. vanilla * 1 C flour * 1 tsp. baking powder * 1/2 tsp. cinnamon * 1-1/2 C chopped pecans (I use walnuts) * 1-1/2 C chopped fresh cranberries

Cream butter, sugars, and lemon zest. Beat in egg and vanilla.

Combine flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Gradually beat into butter mixture. Stir in nuts and cranberries.
    Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350F for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden. Let cool slightly before removing to cooling racks. Frost when cool.
    ICING: Whisk together 1 C confectioner's sugar, 2 Tbsp milk, and 1/4 tsp. lemon zest.

Posted by jude31 (My Page) on Sun, Dec 5, 10 at 21:16

Rusty, thanks for the suggestion. I googled those cookies and they are interesting but different than I made. After thinking about it, I was wrong about the assembly of the cookies. The dough for the ones I made was cut in a square, but the filling was put on a diagonal and the opposing two corners overlapped and pinched to seal. I wish I could remember what else was in the filling besides sugar, cinnamon and nuts, probably butter etc.

I remember seeing recipes for Sand Tarts in recipe books when my children were small (many moons ago), but I don't think I ever made them.

Anyhow, thanks a lot.

jude

Posted by bcskye (My Page) on Mon, Dec 6, 10 at 16:33

Does anyone have any t&t cookie recipes made with honey instead of sugar? I've looked and found some online, but you never know if they've really been tried before rating. I was particularly interested in some Hermits and anything that I could make for a Sugar Free Christmas plate of cookies. We are both diabetic and have so many friends and relatives that are as well. I would like really good and pretty cookies to serve and gift.

Posted by coconut-nj (My Page) on Tue, Dec 7, 10 at 3:53

Woodie, must be a New Jersey Italian cookie. Smiles. Our friend Elaine lived in Trenton, but I think her family might come from more up by you. I always want mine plain too. They have a really great, distinctive, subtle flavor. I love walnuts and I had Christy pick up some extra today so I can try your Grandmothers Walnut Puffs. Sounds right up my alley.

Bcskye, I don't have any in particular. Do you use Splenda in cooking at all? With that you should be able to make many recipes.

Posted by murphy_zone7 (My Page) on Tue, Dec 7, 10 at 6:22

Thanks to all for the recipes.....what wonderful cookies!!
    I am not baking this year...gonna travel by air and you know how those TSA people are!! Anyway, I don't know if this really qualifies as a cookie but they are incredibly easy, very very good, and loved by many. Kids love to help make these. I found the recipe on the Kitchenaid forum several years ago, don't remember who posted it but here it is:

Oreo Truffles aka Oreo Balls

-------- ------------ -------------------------------- 1 pound Oreo Cookies -- 3 sleeves 1 8 oz Cream Cheese -- room temp 1 pound melting milk chocolate 1/2 pound melting white chocolate -- (Can vary the colors depending upon the occasion) Using a food processor, grind cookies to a fine powder Using mixer, blend cookie powder and cream cheese until thoroughly mixed (should be no white traces of cream cheese).
    Roll into small balls and place on wax-lined cookie sheet.
    Refrigerate for 45 minutes.
    Line two cookie sheets with wax paper.
    In double-boiler, melt milk chocolate.
    Dip balls and coat thoroughly.
    With slotted tool, lift ball out of chocolate and let excess chocolate drip off.
    Place on wax-paper lined cookie sheet.
    In separate double boiler, melt white chocolate.
    Using a fork, drizzle white chocolate over balls.
    Let cool.
    If not eating that day. store in airtight container, in refrigerator. Let come to room temperature before eating. We like them either way....we just like them.

Murphy

Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Tue, Dec 7, 10 at 8:39

Sally2, I really don't know if you could sub Marscapone for the cream cheese. I would try it though. You might need to adjust the flour for the difference in moisture but I think it would taste fine.

If you try it, please report back.

Nancy

Posted by sally2 (My Page) on Tue, Dec 7, 10 at 9:34

Okay. I've had some Marscapone in the fridge planning to use it someday, but it's getting to the point that someday needs to come soon. I'll see what happens.

Sally

Posted by iris_gal (My Page) on Tue, Dec 7, 10 at 18:16

Love this thread.
    Here are my two finest cookie/bar recipes. Enjoy.

My mother got the recipe for Nanaimo Bars in Vancouver B.C. in the 1950s.
    When cut the 3 layers resemble the dark, light, dark of the Nanaimo ferry in the distance. It contains a raw egg in the base which has never caused problems.
    It is simply the best bar I've ever tasted.

After chocolate my favorite is marzipan. Every Christmas my SIL and I would spend a day making miniature marzipan fruits: apples painted with red food coloring, oranges rolled in tinted granulated sugar with a clove for stem, bananas painted also, Xmas trees using Scandinavian butter paddles for texture, etc. Finally in the late 80's I found a recipe worthy of the paste. As good as the finest bakery item.

*** Nanaimo Bars

1/2 c. margarine, melted 1/4 c. sugar 5 Tb. cocoa 1 tsp. vanilla 1 egg, slightly beaten 1/2 c. chopped walnuts 2 c. graham cracker crumbs (34 single) 1 c. coconut

1/4 c. margarine 2 Tb. vanilla custard powder (pudding & pie filling) 2 c. pd. sugar, sifted 3 Tb. milk

4 squares (4 oz.) semisweet or bittersweet choc.
    1 Tb. butter

Stir melted margarine, sugar, cocoa, vanilla & egg together thoroughly.
    Stir in nuts, cracker crumbs & coconut until well mixed.
    Firmly press into 9x9 pan; chill.

Beat margarine & custard powder; beat in pd. sugar alternately with milk.
    Spread over chilled base; set aside.

Melt choc. & butter. Dribble over frosting layer & carefully spread to cover.

Before top choc. layer hardens, score into narrow bars with sharp paring knife.
    Chill overnight.
    Cut into bars; store in refrigerator, tightly covered. Easily keeps 3 weeks.

Notes double recipe in 9x13; prefer bittersweet choc. in top layer.
    today's margarines are too soft - use butter.

=====================================================

*** Almond Triangles (Sunset 12-87)

2 1/2 C. flour 8 oz. butter 1 egg Make as pie pastry except knead a bit. (or it will be too crumbly) Press into 9 x 13 pan.
    Cover & set aside.

8 oz. almond paste 2 eggs 1 C. sugar

1 C. slivered or thinly sliced blanched almonds

Break marzipan up with mixer, or by fork, into vy. small chunks. If it has been on the grocery shelf too long this will take awhile.
    Add one egg & beat just til smooth. Stir in other egg (prevents adding additional air) & sugar until well mixed & smooth.
    Spread almond paste mixture over pastry base.
    Sprinkle with silvered almonds, pressing them in gently.

Preheated 350 degree oven for about 35 min.
    Cool in pan. Cut 3" or larger squares, then triangles.
    (sacrifice a 1 inch strip to ease removal of first row) Store well wrapped in refrigerator for 1 1/2 weeks. Haven't tried freezing.
    Notes Thinly sliced almonds dislodge when cutting - use very sharp knife.

If unable to find Almond Paste this is wonderful:

Homemade Almond Paste 1 1/2 C. blanched almonds 1 1/2 C. sifted pd. sugar 1 egg white 1 tsp. almond extract 1/4 tsp. salt Grind almonds fine. Mix thoroughly into stiff paste with remaining ingredients.
    Makes 13 oz. about 1 1/3 cups.

• Tamara
    8 years ago

Posted by dawnp (My Page) on Tue, Dec 7, 10 at 22:46

Jude,

Could this be the recipe?

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: cookies o RE: Cookalong Extra! ****Holiday Cookies**** clip this post email this post what is this?

Posted by barnmom (My Page) on Thu, Dec 9, 10 at 11:37

I am going to copy and print this thread so I can properly appreciate all of these wonderful recipes. I'll add this one from Ann T. for Graham Cracker Chewies. Alice asked for some baked goods to take on her ski club trip this coming week. I have chosen these, Sol's CCC (a new best cookie in our world), and pumpkin bread from a recipe I've used for decades.

Graham Cracker Chewies ====================== These are amazingly good and simple to make. They are a nice alternative to brownies.

Recipe from the Nantucket Open House Cookbook.

Crust

1 1/3 cups graham cracker crumbs 1 tablespoon sugar 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature 2 tablespoons all purpose flour

Topping

1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar 1/2 cup chopped pecans 1/3 cup graham cracker crumbs 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon baking powder 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 2 large eggs beaten

Preheat oven to 350�

Prepare the crust:
    Mix the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, butter and flour in a mixing bowl until moist and crumbly. Press the mixture firmly and evenly in the bottom of a 9 inch square baking pan. Bake until lightly browned, about 20 minutes.

Prepare topping:

Stir all the ingredients together until blended. Spread the topping over the baked crust and bake for 20 minutes. Let cool completely, then cut into 16 squares.

Posted by caliloo (My Page) on Thu, Dec 9, 10 at 12:31

Speaking of Graham Crackers, I made these yesterday and oh, they are GOOD!

Turtle Graham Bars Ingredients • Approximately 14 graham crackers (if each graham cracker is 5" x 2.5") • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter • 1 cup packed dark brown sugar • 1 cup chopped pecans • Kosher salt, to taste • 12 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped

Directions Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
    Line a rimmed baking sheet with a silicone mat. Arrange the graham crackers in a single layer on the lined baking sheet.
    Put the butter, brown sugar, pecans, and a pinch of salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour the butter mixture evenly over the graham crackers and bake for 15 minutes. Remove and set aside.
    Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a glass bowl placed over simmering water. Pour the chocolate over the toffee-covered graham crackers and spread evenly. Chill completely in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. Cut into bars.

Notes Cook's Note: I like to sprinkle flaky sea salt over the dark chocolate layer.

Posted by therustyone (My Page) on Thu, Dec 9, 10 at 12:46

So many good sounding recipes here,
    I don't know which one to try first!

I first found a recipe like this one almost 30 years ago in a magazine,
    Cannot remember, for the life of me,
    Which magazine it was.
    But they were so-o-o-o-ooo good!
    Recently found this recipe on the 'net,
    It seems to be the same as the one I remember.

They are not near as much trouble to make as it seems,
    And they are more than well worth the time!

I have no idea whether they freeze well or not,
    They've always disappeared too fast.

German Cinnamon Stars

Ingredients:

3 egg whites 250g/9 oz powdered sugar 300g/10 1/2 oz unskinned almonds 2 tsp cinnamon 100g/3/12 oz unskinned almonds

Serves 45 - 40 cal per serving Prep-time: 20 min. - Total-time: 120 min.
    Beat the egg white until stiff and add the confectioner's sugar spoon by spoon. (using a teaspoon).
    Save about 80g / 2 1/2 oz off the egg white for the frosting.
    Finely grind 300g / 10 1/2 oz almonds and add to the remaining egg white.
    Carefully fold in the almonds and cinnamon.
    Finely griund the remaining almonds and sprinkle on the working place.
    Thereon place the dough and with lightly floured hands flatten the dough.
    Coat a rolling pin with flour and roll out the dough until it's 1 cm thick.
    Rinse a star shaped cookie cutter with water and shake off any excess.
    Cut out the cookies.
    In between wet the cookie cutter with water to prevent the dough from sticking.
    Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
    Use a spatula to place the cinnamon stars on the baking sheet.
    Coat with the remaining egg white.
    Let them dry over night at room temperature.
    Bake in the pre-heated (320F) oven for 8 minutes,
    on the middle rack

Rusty

Posted by beachlily (My Page) on Thu, Dec 9, 10 at 14:34

I may have another convert for this site! My cleaning lady was here this a.m. and expressed the need for different Christmas cookies. I showed her this thread and she was excited! I wrote down the address for her and we can expect another good member. She is great!

Posted by pat_t (My Page) on Thu, Dec 9, 10 at 15:49

Made a batch of these yesterday afternoon. They are GONE!

Not exactly sure why the "nougat" is in the name. They are basically Sand Tarts.

Pecan Nougat Cookies (Shortbread Snowballs)

1 cup softened butter 1/2 cup sugar 2 teaspoons vanilla 2 cups all purpose flour 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 cups finely ground nuts of your choice (I�m using pecans) Confectioner�s sugar

Cream butter, sugar, and salt until fluffy. Add flour and vanilla, mix well, scraping down sides as needed. Add nuts and mix until well incorporated. Shape into one inch balls (mine are bigger because I use a little cookie dough scoop) and place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 325 for twenty minutes, but don�t let them brown.
    Cool cookies. When cooled, roll in confectioner�s sugar.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recipe from Southern Plate.

Posted by jude31 (My Page) on Thu, Dec 9, 10 at 23:06

Dawn, that may not be the recipe, but the assembly is certainly correct. I don't think there were any eggs in it and I'm not sure about the sour cream. It's closer than anything I've seen though. Maybe use another dough recipe...hmmmm.

Thanks,
    jude

Posted by coconut-nj (My Page) on Thu, Dec 9, 10 at 23:50

Jude, my Uncles MIL made cookies like you described. They were made with a cream cheese dough like the second one in Dawn's link, with the apricots. I think that or the rugelach dough recipe is the one. She did make some with nuts and cinnamon and probably butter, like you said. She also made them with lekvar[prune paste], poppy seed paste, or apricot jam. She's long gone and so is my Aunt but I'll have to ask my Uncle if he has the recipe.

Pat, maybe they misspell. Pecan nuggets would make more sense. Smiles.

Came back to copy a few more recipes. I should post our family recipe for pizzelles and Nona cookies. It's all the same dough. We used some for the pizzelles and then made cookies with the rest. Usually forming them as snails or s shapes. Topped with a glaze and nonpareils.

Posted by AliceinMD ) on Fri, Dec 10, 10 at 13:50

Iris Gal posted her recipe for Nanaimo Bars on Tuesday and noted that hers includes raw egg and is made in a 9" square pan. Mine below is very similar but cooks the base mixture and is made in a 9x13" pan, so these are thin but still rich and absolutely wonderful. I hope you enjoy them!

NANAIMO BARS Named after the city of Nanaimo, British Columbia

1/2 cup butter or margarine 1/3 cup granulated sugar 5 Tablespoons regular cocoa powder 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 egg Combine in two-quart saucepan. Heat and then boil gently for 2 minutes over low heat, stirring constantly. (The mixture may look odd, but keep going.)

2 cups graham cracker crumbs 1/2 cup coconut 1/2 cup chopped nuts Add to above, mixing well. Press firmly into lightly greased 9x13" pan.

1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened 3 Tablespoons milk 2 Tablespoons instant vanilla pudding mix 2 cups confectioner's sugar Combine with mixer in small bowl. Put dollops all around bottom layer, then spread gently until smooth. Chill.

3 one-ounce squares semi-sweet chocolate or 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips 3 Tablespoons margarine Melt together and spread on top of white layer. Chill until firm.

Cut into 1" squares. Store in refrigerator, in the back if you must hide them

Posted by jude31 (My Page) on Fri, Dec 10, 10 at 15:05

Coconut and June, I think we're on to something...the crust in the second recipe sounds right. I just need to come up with the proportions of cinnamon, butter and nuts, not sure it needs anything else. If anyone has suggestions they would be appreciated. I would be so happy to make these again. They were so simple even I could make them. LOL Thanks again.

jude

Posted by joanm (My Page) on Fri, Dec 10, 10 at 15:23

I am a little behind in my reading. I just finally got a chance to read this thread. I noticed that Annie's molasses cookies have not been posted. They were they first cookies I made this year. They are frozen in little balls and ready to bake. The other batch that I have in the freezer ready to bake is Sol's chocolate chip cookies. So here is the recipe as posted by Annie. I highly recommend them :->

Chewy Molasses Cookies

1 1/2 cups of shortening (I use half and half with butter, but all butter makes them too crispy for my taste) 1 cups granulated sugar 1 cup dark brown sugar 2 eggs 3/4 cup of dark molasses 4 1/2 cups flour 1 teaspoon salt 4 teaspoons baking soda 2 teaspoons cinnamon 2 teaspoons ginger 1 teaspoon ground cloves

Chopped crystalized ginger, optional, to taste. I used about half a cup, finely chopped and wish I'd have used more but I love ginger

Coarse sugar or turbinado sugar for rolling.
    Cream the shortening and sugars. Add the molasses and eggs and mix until well blended. Sift the flour (yeah right, I don't, LOL) and measure 4 1/2 cups into a separate bowl. Add the spices, salt, and baking soda and whisk to combine. Turn the mixer to low or stir, and add the flour slowly until well mixed. Stir in the chopped ginger and chill the dough for at least an hour.

After the dough has chilled for an hour, roll tablespoonfuls of the dough into balls and roll the balls in the coarse sugar to completely coat. Place the dough balls about an inch apart on a greased or parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake for 12 to 15 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

The cookies will puff up and crack. When the cookies are done the cracks should still look a little wet, but the outside should look dry. They'll "fall" a little as they cool, let them sit a couple of minutes on the sheet before you try to move them to cooling racks.

Posted by coconut-nj (My Page) on Fri, Dec 10, 10 at 16:44

Jude, Kolacky or Kolaches. That's the name I was trying to remember. Phew. I was looking up nut fillings and wham, there the cookie popped up. Many used the cream cheese dough but some did use that sour cream dough. You can just google Kolacky and see all the pretty pictures. I found a bunch of recipes for the nut filling and most were exactly the same. Turns out it's egg whites, sugar and the nuts. I think she used some cinnamon too so I'd do that. Good luck, this should give you a good start. If you think it should have butter you could search further for a nut filling with butter, but I'm thinking now that the sugar and egg whites would hold it together and butter would just make it spread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nut filling for Kolacky o RE: Cookalong Extra! ****Holiday Cookies**** clip this post email this post what is this?

Posted by jude31 (My Page) on Fri, Dec 10, 10 at 18:36

Great coconut, I'm going to give this a try, may do some with fruit preserves so if they're not exactly what I'm looking for I may find a new favorite. Thanks so much. I'll report after I make them which will probably be next week.
    jude

Posted by virginia7074 (My Page) on Sat, Dec 11, 10 at 13:30

Lots of great-sounding cookies here! Thanks!

These are my DH's favorites and I've been making them every year since I found the recipe in Bon Appetit in 1985. They're not hard, just use the food processor.

Vanilla Crescents with Pistachio Filling

Vanilla Sugar:
    3/4 c. sugar 1 2" piece vanille bean, split & dried

Filling:
    8 oz. raw pistachios 1 egg white 1 drop vanilla extract 1 drop almond extract

Dough:
    1/2 c. butter, chilled 1-1/4 c. sifted flour 1/3 c. sour cream 1 egg yolk

Vanilla Sugar:
    Process 2 min. scraping sides every 30 seconds. (Can be made 3 days ahead - cover tightly to store.)

Glaze:
    1 egg yolk 1 teaspoon water 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar

Filling: Blanch pistachios 10 seconds. Drain. Refrigerate 3 hours. Peel skin. Sieve vanilla sugar. Mix filling ingredients with 2 tablespoons sugar. Process to a smooth paste. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead.)

Dough: Cut butter into flour in processor. Add sour cream and egg yolk.

To assemble: Preheat oven to 375. Line pans with foil & grease. (I use parchment paper.) Divide dough in half. Roll with 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar and sprinkle top and bottom with 2 more tablespoons vanilla sugar. Roll to a 12" circle and cut into 12 triangles. Put filling at base and roll up to form crescents. Bake 10-15 min. Remove & brush on glaze. Return to oven and bake 5 min. longer.

Makes 24.
    Source: Bon Appetit, September 1985.

Posted by katiec (My Page) on Sat, Dec 11, 10 at 14:59

I'd forgotten about these until they showed up a Friends of the Library bake sale. They are yummy...

Coconut-Cranberry Chews

Recipe By :Katie Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00 Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -------- ------------ --------------------------------

1 1/2 c. butter -- at room temp.
    2 c. sugar 1 T. grated orange peel 2 tsp. vanilla 1 large egg 3 1/4 c. all-purpose flour 1 tsp. baking powder 1/4 tsp. salt 1 1/2 c. dried cranberries 1 1/2 c. sweetened flaked dried coconut

1. In a large bowl, with a mixer on medium speed, beat 1 1/2 c. butter, sugar, orange peel, and vanilla until smooth. Beat in egg until well blended.
    2. In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt. Add to butter mixture, beating on low speed until dough comes together, about 5 minutes. Mix in cranberries and coconut.
    3. Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place about 2 inches apart on buttered 12 by 15-inch baking sheets.
    4. Bake in a 350' oven until cookie edges just begin to brown, 11 to 15 minutes (shorter baking time will yield a chewier cookie, longer baking time will yield a crisper cookie). If baking two sheets at once in one oven, switch their positions halfway through baking. Let cookies cool on sheets for 5 minutes, then use a wide spatula to transfer to racks to cool completely.
    Makes about 6 dozen cookies

Source:
    "Alice B" - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Posted by beachlily (My Page) on Sat, Dec 11, 10 at 15:53

Katie, I am baking today, and was going to do fresh cranberry-lemon cookies. My experience with fresh cranberries in cookies isn't good, nor do I like dried cranberries. But I just happened to have 1.5 cup of dried cherries in the fridge. My next cookie is going to be this one, subbing out dried cherries for dried cranberries. Sounds so very good! Thanks!

Posted by susytwo (My Page) on Sun, Dec 12, 10 at 11:14

Last year, I made the Almond Triangles that irisgirl posted and they are amazing. And so easy. They are now on our must-make list for xmas.

Also part of that list are Lebkuchen Spritz. They are DS's favorite. (top right in the photo) holiday cookies

Lebkuchen Spice Spritz

2/3 cup sugar 1 cup butter -- softened 1 egg 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon cinnamon 1 teaspoon nutmeg 1/2 teaspoon allspice 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves 2 teaspoons vanilla 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

For Glaze 1 cup powdered sugar 1 1/2 tablespoons milk 1/2 tablespoon rum 1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Heat oven to 400F. In large mixer bowl combine sugar, butter, egg, salt, spices, and vanilla. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until mixture is light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add flour. Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed, 2 to 3 minutes. If dough is too soft, cover and refrigerate until firm enough to form cookies, 30 to 45 minutes.

Place dough in cookie press. Form desired shapes 1 inch apart on cookie sheets. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. For Glaze, in small bowl stir together powdered sugar, milk, rum, and vanilla until smooth. Drizzle or pipe over warm cookies.

These Linzer cookies are good too, but I'm not sure if I'll have time to make rolled cookies this year.
    linzer cookies

HAZELNUT LINZER COOKIES WITH BLACKBERRY JAM

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour 2 tsp ground cinnamon 1 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg 1/2 tsp salt 3/4 cup unsalted butter,
    1 cup powdered sugar plus more for decorating 5 tsp finely grated orange peel 2 tsp grated lemon peel 3 large egg yolks 1 1/2 cups toasted, ground hazelnuts

Blackberry or raspberry jam

Whisk first 5 ingredients in medium bowl to blend. Beat butter, 1 cup powdered sugar, and citrus peels in large bowl until fluffy. Beat in egg yolks. Beat in dry ingredients in 4 additions; beat in nuts. Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. Wrap; chill at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.

Preheat oven to 325F. Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll out half of dough on lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness. Using 2-inch round cutter, cut out rounds. Using 3/4-inch round cutter, cut out center of half of rounds to make rings. Transfer rounds and rings to prepared sheets. Gather dough scraps; chill.

Bake cookies until golden, reversing sheets after 10 minutes, about 22 minutes total. Cool completely on sheets. Repeat until all dough is used. Do ahead Store airtight at room temperature up to 2 days or freeze up to 2 weeks.

Arrange cookie rings on work surface. Sift powdered sugar over. Spread 1 teaspoon jam on each cookie round. Press rings onto jam on rounds. Do ahead Can be assembled 1 day ahead. Store between sheets of waxed paper in airtight container at room temperature.

Sorry, I don't remember the sources for either of these recipes.

Posted by sally2 (My Page) on Mon, Dec 13, 10 at 9:22

Nancy, the Marscapone worked with the cut out cookies! I've never made it with cream cheese, but I'm thinking it didn't make any difference. They turned out quite sweet, but cookies are supposed to be sweet. GS and I started out with the cookie cutters, I called in his parents to watch, and they took over the whole project. So although they rarely cook with their son, the three of them really got into the whole cookie cutting and decorating. Everyone had a great time. Thanks for the recipe.

Sally

Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Mon, Dec 13, 10 at 11:05

Sally, I'm glad to hear it worked out. Some of my best Christmas memories include cookie decorating parties.

Nancy

Posted by tami_ohio (My Page) on Wed, Dec 15, 10 at 17:34

Jude31, here is my recipe for the Kifle dough.

2 1/2 c flour 2 sticks butter softened 8 oz. cream cheese softened

Mix butter & cheese togther with hands. Add flour a little at a time.
    Roll out and cut into squares. Add filling, bring opposite corners together, stick with toothpick and bake.

375� for about 10 min.

My friend uses canned filling, nut, apricot, raspberry, ect.

Tami

Posted by coconut-nj (My Page) on Wed, Dec 15, 10 at 18:11

I just got done making AnnT's Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies. They are so good. If anyone wants a nice variation on shortbreads, try this one. I like using the fork on them too.

I was making my doughs yesterday and today, since I have to bake some to send Friday. I'll bake tomorrow but I did bake off one tray of my ricotta cookies yesterday and one tray of Ann's Chocolate Chip Shortbreads today.

I made the dough for the Pudding Chocolate Chip Cookies. I don't usually keep instant pudding but I had some chocolate instant I intended to use to make fudgeicles and hadn't. I used that, so I now have the dough for Chocolate Chocolate Chip Pudding cookies. The dough tastes good. I'll report back how they make out. I used pecans with the chips.

Posted by jude31 (My Page) on Wed, Dec 15, 10 at 18:12

Thank you,Tami. Lord willing and the creeks don't rise I hope to make them by Saturday. We're having our Family Christmas party on Sat. night,at DD#2, heavy hors d'ouevres and I plan to take some cookies. Overnight guests Fri. and Sat, DD#1 and DSL. I'll have to be sure the bed is cleared off in the guest room.LOL Gets kind of crazy this time of year.

jude

Posted by westelle (My Page) on Wed, Dec 15, 10 at 22:24

I need a T&T recipe for Gingerbread Men to make with my grandsons.... by special request. Anyone have a T&T recipe?

Of course I had to read through every post to see if anyone had posted a Gingerbread Cookie recipe and found lots of others to copy & paste for this year's baking.

Posted by empress (My Page) on Thu, Dec 16, 10 at 3:26

Westelle,

My five year old granddaughter and I love the Gingerbread People recipe found at the Kraft Foods website at the link. The dough is so easy to mix up, easy to work with, and very forgiving when working with children, since it seems to be able to be rolled and rerolled several times without getting tough or dry. The cutout cookies hold their shape through the baking, but are still an easy to bite and chew cookie. We love this recipe!!

Gingerbread People from Kraft recipes

3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter, softened 3/4 cup packed brown sugar 1 pkg. (3.4 oz.) JELL-O Butterscotch Instant Pudding 1 egg 2 cups flour 1 tsp. baking soda 1 Tbsp. ground ginger 1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

BEAT butter, sugar, dry pudding mix and egg in large bowl with mixer until well blended. Mix remaining ingredients. Gradually add to pudding mixture, beating well after each addition. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.

HEAT oven to 350 degrees F. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into gingerbread shapes with 4-inch cookie cutter. Place, 2 inches apart, on greased baking sheets. Use straw to make hole near top of each cutout.

BAKE 10 to 12 min. or until edges are lightly browned. Let stand on baking sheets 3 min. Remove to wire racks; cool completely. Decorate as desired. Insert ribbon through holes to hang cookies on tree.