thibeaultstable

Cookalong - #42 Pork

ann_t
11 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Cookalong #42 ---------- PORK

Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 27, 12 at 13:49

jude31 has picked pork for this Cookalong.
I'd like to keep the recipes confined to fresh pork, as we can do ham and bacon as a subject at another time.

We've had some terrific pork recipes posted on the CF over the years, now we can get them all on one thread and some new ones as well.

Thank you jude.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #41 -Greens, Cooked and Raw
Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cookalong #42 ---------- PORK
clip this post email this post what is this?
see most clipped and recent clippings

Posted by jude31 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 27, 12 at 14:33

This is so scary for me! Thank you Nancy, I hope I can rise to the occasion.

Winter is still with us but spring is not far away. I'm choosing PORK for all the ways we prepare it in the cold months, but looking ahead to spring as well,

Meanwhile I hope to step out of MY comfort zone and learn new recipes and techniques.

I have prepared this recipe several times and it's always well received. I tried to copy the picture but no such luck. I'm sure some of you who are much better with the computer could do so.

Pork Roasted the Way the Tuscan Do

This is a wonderful and easy technique for pork roasted inside a baguette with wonderful fresh herbs and of course garlic and olive oil! I'm sure this will become a favorite of yours too - it's great to bring on a picnic lunch!

2 teaspoons fresh chopped sage
2 teaspoons fresh chopped rosemary
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon fennel pollen*
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 pork tenderloin, trimmed
1 loaf crusty baguette

On a work surface, mince the sage, rosemary, pepper, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and fennel pollen together.

Heat a frying pan over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil. Cook the pork, turning occasionally, until golden on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes. Roll the pork in the herb mixture and set aside. Cut the baguette in half the long way and scoop out the soft insides. Brush the inside of the baguette with the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil. Place the pork on the inside of the baguette so that the pork is completely enclosed. Trim off the excess ends of the bread. Tie the baguette, at 1-to 2-inch intervals, with kitchen string.

Preheat an oven to 375°F. Place the pork on a baking sheet and roast until done, 155°F on an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part, 25 to 30 minutes.

Remove from the oven, let rest 10 minutes. Remove the strings and cut into slices. Serve.

Serves 4

Note: I did not have the fennel pollen and used crushed fennel seeds, instead. I did use the fresh herbs. It smells and tastes soooo good!

jude

*You can buy fennel pollen online from a few sources including: Zingerman's Mail Order, Pollen Ranch, ChefShop.com, and Amazon.

o
RE: Cookalong #42 ---------- PORK //

Mon, Feb 27, 12 at 14:47

I failed to give credit to Joanne Weir, who created the recipe. Sorry 'bout that.

j

o

Posted by seagrass (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 27, 12 at 14:55

I can vouch for that pork tenderloin cooked in the baguette. I've made it several times and it's delicious and different.

seagrass

o

Posted by foodonastump (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 27, 12 at 14:58

I'll definitely be trying that! Here's the picture:

o

Posted by bulldinkie (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 27, 12 at 15:20

The recipe I made for hubby for his birthday was great,I took a pork loin butterflied it I put kikomens sauce on I soaked dried prunes,dried apricots in wine.I took them out laid in the pork rolled and tied with string,Baked slow because I didnt want it to dry out.Oh my gosh,I hate perunes,dried fruit but it made the meat tender, sweet,juicy,oh my gosh,and of course roasted veggies Ill never do them any other way,green beans were delicious,the juice from meat went in the vegies mmm

o

Posted by caliloo (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 27, 12 at 16:31

We can't have a PORK cookalong without including Weeds Pork Tenderloin! As a bonus, I added a couple more recipes that are T&T too!

Alexa

Pork Tenderloin with Dijon Cream (weed)
Serves: 2
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 15 min or less
1# pork tenderloin, cut into 2" slices
Seasoned flour
2 Tbl. butter, divided
2 tsp. canola or olive oil
2 green onions, sliced (coin shape), white and green parts separated
1/3 cup white wine or dry vermouth
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tsp. Dijon mustard (or more to taste)
salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to low, about 170 degrees.
Lightly pound pork medallions to 1" thick.
Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and 2 tsp. oil over medium high heat.
Dredge pork in seasoned flour. Add all at once to pan and saute 2 minutes per side. Remove to a plate and hold in the oven while finishing the sauce. (pork will be a bit underdone but will finish in the oven.)
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter to pan.
Add white part of onion, saute for 1 minute.
Add wine or vermouth, simmer until syrupy and reduced to about 3 tablespoons.
Add cream, simmer 2 - 3 minutes until thickened.*
Stir in Dijon, add salt and pepper to taste.
Return pork to pan to coat with sauce. Serve over rice or pasta, garnishing with the green part of the onion.
*If sauce ends up too thick for your liking, add a little water or milk, but no more than 1/4 cup.

Pork Tenderloin With Bourbon Sauce
Ingredients:
• 1/4 cup Kentucky Bourbon
• 1/4 cup light soy sauce (2 tsp for pan sauce)
• 1/4 cup packed brown sugar (1 tbsp for pan sauce)
• 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
• 1/4 cup Dijon mustard (2 Tbsp for pan sauce)
• 1 teaspoon finely minced fresh ginger
• 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
• 1/4 cup vegetable oil
• dash hot sauce
• 2 pork tenderloins, about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds
Marinade & Grill Option
In blender or food processor, combine bourbon, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, mustard, ginger, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and oil; pulse until smooth. Place tenderloin and marinade in a food storage bag; refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight. Cook 4 inches from a hot charcoal fire for 15 to 25 minutes or until the pork has reached 165° internally and is no longer pink in the center. Baste occasionally while cooking. Slice in 1/2-inch thick slices to serve.
Serves 6.
Saute and Pan Sauce Option
• 1/4 cup apple cider
• 1/4 cup heavy cream
Combine bourbon, soy, sugar, apple cider, sugar, Worcestershire, hot sauce in a bowl. Peel silver skin off the tenderloins and cut into 1 inch pieces. Put the pieces between two sheets of plastic and flatten into medallions. Add a tbsp of oil to a sauté pan heated to Med-High. Sauté the pork in batches, about 2 ��" 3 min per side. Move to as warm oven.
Add a bit more oil if needed, and add the garlic to the pan, cook for 30 seconds. Add the liquid mixture in the bowl and stir/whisk to loosen any bits stuck to the pan. When it is bubbling and all the bits are loose, add the mustard and cream. Bring to a simmer, add the medallions back to the pan for 1 ��" 2 min, covered. Serve.

Pork Chops with Caramelized Onions & Shallots
4 pork chops
olive oil
salt, pepper and cayenne
2 medium onions -- thinly sliced
4 Shallots ��" Thinly Sliced
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (or 6 tablespoons Port )
3 tablespoons water
Brush chops with olive oil and season with salt, pepper and cayenne to taste. Brown chops; remove from pan.
Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil and add onions, shallots, crushed red pepper and sugar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are lightly caramelized - 30-45 minutes.
Stir in balsamic vinegar (port) and water. Add pork chops; cover and cook 15-20 minutes until chops are done.

*** If using Port, omit water
Herbed Pork Rib Roast
• Recipe by Frank Stitt
Frank Stitt, the chef and owner of Bottega and Highlands Bar and Grill in Birmingham, Alabama, adores this versatile cut of pork. It can be sliced into chops and cooked individually or roasted whole and carved at the table.
• ACTIVE: 10 MIN
• TOTAL TIME: 3 HRS 15 MIN
• SERVINGS: 6
INGREDIENTS
1. 3 garlic cloves, minced
2. 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3. 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
4. 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary leaves
5. One 4-pound pork rib roast cut from the loin end, chine bone removed
6. Salt and freshly ground pepper
DIRECTIONS
1. In a small bowl, blend the garlic with the olive oil, thyme and rosemary. Rub the herb paste all over the pork roast and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours or refrigerate overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to 500°. Set the pork in a small roasting pan and season with salt and pepper. Roast the pork for 15 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 325°. Continue roasting the pork for 40 minutes longer, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the meat registers 145°. Transfer the pork to a carving board and let stand for about 10 minutes. Cut between the ribs, transfer the chops to plates and serve.

SERVE WITH
Grits and grilled eggplant.
A creamy Chardonnay with hints of fruit and oak or a light-bodied red.

o

Posted by walnutcreek (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 27, 12 at 16:32

Homemade Breakfast Sausage

25 pounds of fresh ground pork
3/4 cup sage
4 Tablespoons ground black pepper
1-1/4 Tablespoons crushed red pepper
3 teaspoons salt

Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Roll into 1/2-pound logs, wrap in aluminum foil, and freeze. Before cooking, remove from freezer, thaw overnight in refrigerator, slice into medallions, and broil at 300 degrees until browned.

And here is an older post from AvidCook:

ABSOLUTELY THE BEST RIBS EVER!

As requested, here is the rib recipe. I think it was the first recipe I posted on this bb back in 2002 (back then I was just Avidcook, no GA on the end). It was a bit hit on here back then. I think this may be the recipe that won my dh's heart back in 1975 when I met him.

Take a broiler pan and fill the bottom section of the broiler pan with water about half full. On the top section (the part with the slits in it) lay out your ribs. (I use babyback pork ribs.) You may add a rub or sauce at this time or leave them plain. (I leave them plain). Cover the pan with foil and fold edges under to seal in the steam as they cook. Place in oven at 300 degrees for 2 1/2 hours. Remove foil carefully as steam will be very hot. Now all the grease is down in the bottom pan with the water and the ribs are completely cooked and tender. All you need to do is finish them up on the grill or under the broiler with sauce. (I like Sweet Baby Rays).

For grill: place ribs on grill and coat with favorite bbq sauce. Grill on each side just a few minutes until crispy.

For broiler: add bbq sauce and broil for a few minutes on each side. Watch closely because sugar in the bbq sauce will burn quickly.

o

Posted by jessyf (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 27, 12 at 16:42

I'm sitting this one out LOLOL!

o

Posted by angelaid (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 27, 12 at 16:57

DH absolutely loves this recipe:

Coll's Slow Cooked Pulled Pork

Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 8-10 hours
Yields: 8-12 cups or 16-24+ sandwiches

4-6# boneless pork shoulder-blade roast cut into 4 pieces, fat removed
1/4 C water
1 medium onion - coursely chopped
1/2 C cider vinegar
1/2 C ketchup
1/4 C light (mild) molasses
2 T sweet paprika
2 T spicy brown mustard
2 T worcestershire sacuce
1 t red ground (cayene) pepper
1 t finely ground black pepper
1 t salt
1/2 t liquid smoke flavoring (opt)

Combine all ingredients, except pork.
In a 4-5+ quart crockpot, place the pork pieces, pour sauce over to coat.

Cover and cook with lid on for 8-10 hours until pork is very tender and falling apart. *Can cook overnight.

Transfer pork to a large bowl or platter, cool and pull apart with fingers or forks.
Place pork back into the sauce.

OPT: For a thicker sauce add an addititonal 1/2 C each of your fav BBQ sauce and ketchup. Heat through thoroughly.

Serve on soft buns and smother with a scoop of creamy cole slaw for true Southern Style pulled pork samiches.

o

Posted by doucanoe (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 27, 12 at 17:43

I haven't made these in a while, I think they'll be on the menu again soon!

Garden Tenderloin Rolls
Serves 4

10 oz frozen asparagus ( I use 1 lb fresh)
2 carrots, peeled and cut into 5" julienne strips
3/4 c water
1 lb pork tenderloin
2 c fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 scallions, sliced
1 T water
1/2 c water
1/4 c dry sherry
1 T cornstarch
1 tsp instant beef bouillon granules
1/4 tsp dried basil
Dash pepper

In large saucepan combine asparagus, carrots and 3/4 c water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are crisp-tender, 4-6 minutes. Drain. (I prefer to steam the vegetables)

Cut the pork into 8 pieces. Place each piece between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound into a 4-5 inch circle. Sprinkle with pepper. Divide carrots and asparagus evenly among the eight pieces of pork. Roll up, jelly-roll style and place seam side down in a 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Bake, covered at 375� for 15 minutes. Uncover, bake 5-10 minutes more until meat is no no longer pink.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan combine mushrooms, scallions, and 1T water. Cook, covered over medium heat about 5 minutes until vegetables are tender. Do not drain. (I saut� the mushrooms and scallions instead of boiling them).

Stir together 1/2 c water. Sherry, cornstarch bouillon , basil and pepper. Add to mushroom mixture. Cook an stir until thickened and bubbly. Spoon some of the sauce over meat rolls and pass the remaining sauce.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is really, really good! I have made it using pork and also with veal. I bet it would be good using chicken, too.....very versatile!

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Pork Saltimbocca with Polenta
From The Best of Cooking Light

6 (4-ounce) boneless center-cut loin pork chops, trimmed
6 very thin slices prosciutto (about 2 ounces)
6 large fresh sage leaves
1/3 cup (about 1 � ounces) shredded fontina cheese
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon thinly-sliced fresh sage

Polenta:
2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 cup instant polenta
1/2 teaspoon salt

To prepare pork, place each chop between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, pound to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Arrange 1 prosciutto slice over each chop top with 1 sage leaf and about 1 tablespoon cheese. Fold chops in half to sandwich filling, and secure with wooden toothpicks. Sprinkle both sides of chops with pepper and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Place flour in shallow dish; dredge stuffed chops in flour.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chops; cook 3 minutes on each side or until done. Remove from pan; cover and keep warm.

Add wine to pan, scraping pan to loosen browned bits; cook until reduced to 1/4 cup (about 2 minutes). Add 1 cup broth; bring to a boil. Cook until reduced to 1/2 cup (about 5 minutes). Stir in 1 tablespoon sage. Reduce heat to medium. Return chops to pan; cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated, turning once.

To prepare polenta, bring milk and 1 can broth to a boil. Gradually stir in polenta and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 2 minutes. Serve polenta immediately with chops and sauce.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 stuffed chop, about 4 teaspoons sauce, and � cup polenta) Calories 404 (30% from fat); fat 13.3g(sat 5.3g, mono 6g, poly 1g); Protein 34.9g; carb 30.8g; fiber 2.8g; chol 85mg; iron 1.6mg; sodium 733mg; calc 172mg
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And one more that is absolutely fabulous!

Stuffed Pork Chops
From Food Network-the Neely�s

1/2 cup kosher salt
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 quarts water
4 (2-inch thick) pork chops, bone-in rib loin chops, split to bone
2 slices bacon, chopped
2 stalks celery, minced
1 small onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon freshly chopped rosemary leaves
1 tablespoon freshly chopped sage leaves
2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley leaves
2 1/2 cups crumbled cornbread
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup chicken broth
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Whisk salt and sugars in 2-quarts of cold water. Add pork chops and cover. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Remove the pork chops from the brine and dry well.

In a large heavy bottomed saute pan, begin to fry bacon. Add celery, onion and garlic to pan and allow to saute with the crispy bacon. Add rosemary, sage and parsley after bacon has cooked for 8 to 10 minutes. Saute until fragrant. Season with salt and pepper.

In a large bowl add cornbread, dried cranberries and chicken stock. Stir in the cooked vegetable mixture. Mix well.

Preheat grill to medium-high heat.

Season the pork chops with salt and pepper. Stuff the chop with about 1/2 cup of stuffing. Use toothpicks to help seal the chops. Grill the chops for 5 to 7 minutes per side. Internal temperature should be 145 degrees F. Allow chop to rest for 5 minutes before serving.

Linda

o

Mon, Feb 27, 12 at 17:54

Thanks for posting the picture FOAS, but this is one time the original picture doesn't do it justice! It's the same one I tried to post.

o

Posted by jasdip (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 27, 12 at 18:44

Great choice Jude!!!
Alexa, I wondered who would be posting weed's pork tenderloin recipe. It IS good!!

This is my go-to pork slow-cooker recipe. I've given the recipe to a number of friends, and it's a hit with them all.

Sesame Pork Roast (Slow-cooker)
Plan ahead. This needs to marinate.

4-6 lb pork butt roast
2 cups water
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Make marinade and reserve half. Marinate meat in half the marinade overnight.

Drain meat and place in slow-cooker with reserved marinade. Cook on Low 6-7 hours.

We like leftovers as pulled pork with a bit of barbecue sauce in the sauce.

o

Posted by paprikash (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 27, 12 at 19:50

We absolutely love pork especially pork shoulder and pork chops. We tend to enjoy pork that has some fat in it.

This recipe is one that my mother was making over fifty years ago so it is definitely a tried and true (except she didn't have Montreal seasoning). They are like little meat loaves but the "best part" of the meat loaf -- the ends. Leftovers are particularly good sliced in half since you make them plump and then browned in butter. I usually mix up 4 pounds at a time and freeze half shaped but unfried for when we want a quick dinner.

Hungarian Hamburger

2 lbs ground pork
2 cloves garlic -- pressed
2 large yellow onions or 1 large Spanish onion -- grated
1 1/2 sleeves Ritz crackers -- crushed
2 large eggs -- lightly beaten
fresh flat-leaf parsley
salt, freshly ground pepper and paprika -- to taste
Montreal seasoning -- to taste
Crisco solid shortening

Mix the garlic, onion, crackers, eggs, parsley and seasonings together. Add ground pork and mix thoroughly but gently. Do not overmix. I always fry a small test burger to check for seasoning; I then add more salt and pepper, if needed, and make eight plump burgers (about 6 oz. each), again, handling as little as possible. Refrigerate for a few hours to let the flavors marry. Fry in hot Crisco (deep enough to reach half way up the burgers) as slowly as possible (at least a half an hour in total). You want them nice and brown. Let the first side brown before turning them over. Drain on paper towels and serve or hold in a slow oven. If your onions are particularly juicy you may need 2 sleeves of crackers.

o

Posted by bbstx (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 27, 12 at 21:42

Pork goes so well with greens! Good choice, Jude!

Milk Braised Pork Chops is not quick, but it is so easy...and delish!

Milk-Braised Pork Chops

2 1-inch thick pork loin chops
Salt and pepper
1 Tbsp. oil
1 to 1 1/2 cups milk
2 cloves garlic; whole, peeled
1/2 tsp. rubbed sage
2 tsp. butter at room temperature.
2 tsp. all-purpose flour

1. Heat oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. Generously season chops with salt and pepper.

3. Heat oil over medium-high heat in a non-stick skillet. Brown chops on both sides.

4. Arrange chops in an 8 x 8 baking dish and add enough milk to come halfway up the sides of the meat. Add garlic.

5. Tightly cover baking dish with foil and place in center of oven. Cook for 45 minutes.

6. Remove from oven, turn chops over, re-cover, and return to oven for another 45 minutes.

7. Meanwhile, thoroughly mix together flour and butter (this is called a beurre manie).

8. Set chops on a plate and puree milk and garlic in a blender. (I skipped this step)

9. Pour sauce into a skillet and bring to a simmer over medium heat.

10. Stir in beurre manie and continue stirring until thickened. Taste, adjust seasonings, and serve over chops.

Here is a link that might be useful: Milk Braised Pork Chops
o
Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast

Posted by bbstx (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 27, 12 at 21:54

We had this for Christmas Dinner 2010. Really good. I was apprehensive about double butterflying the roast, so I had a second roast in the fridge in case I messed up. It was not needed. I nailed it on the first try...you can too! If you follow the instructions and sharpen your knife, it is easy to do.

I've posted this recipe before. Forgive me for posting again, but it goes with the topic.

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast

INGREDIENTS
Filling
1 cup apple cider
1/2 cup cider vinegar
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large shallot, peeled, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups dried apples (packed)
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
1 Tbsp yellow mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Pork Roast
2 1/2 pound boneless center-cut pork loin roast (short and wide - about 7-8 inches long and 4-5 inches wide)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

METHOD
1 Before starting on the pork, put the pork roast in the freezer for 30 minutes to make it easier to cut. While the pork is chilling, you can make the filling.

2 Bring all the filling ingredients to simmer in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until apples are very soft, about 20 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve, reserving the liquid. Use a rubber spatula to press against the apple mixture in the sieve to extract as much liquid out as possible. Return liquid to saucepan and simmer over medium-high heat until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, set aside and reserve this liquid for use as a glaze. Pulse apple mixture in food processor, about fifteen 1-second pulses. Set aside.

3 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F or prepare your grill for indirect heat. You will be "double-butterflying" the pork roast. (Pictures at the link below are very helpful for this step) Lay the roast down, fat side up. Insert the knife into the roast 1/2-inch horizontally from the bottom of the roast, along the long side of the roast. Make a long cut along the bottom of the roast, stopping 1/2 inch before the edge of the roast. You might find it easier to handle by starting at a corner of the roast.

Open up the roast and continue to cut through the thicker half of the roast, again keeping 1/2 inch from the bottom. Repeat until the roast is an even 1/2-inch thickness all over when laid out.
If necessary, pound the roast to an even thickness with a meat pounder.

4 Season the inside of the roast well with salt and pepper. Spread out the filling on the roast, leaving a 1/2-inch border from the edges. Starting with the short side of the roast, roll it up very tightly. Secure with kitchen twine at 1-inch intervals. Season the outside of the roast generously with salt and pepper.

5 Place roast on a rack in a roasting pan, place in oven, on the middle rack.

You can also grill the roast, using indirect heat either gas or charcoal. If you are using charcoal, use about 5 pounds of coals, bank them to one side. Preheat the grill, covered. Wipe the grates with olive oil. Place roast, fat side up, on the side of the grill that has no coals underneath. Place the lid on the grill, with the vent directly over the roast. If you are grilling with gas, place all the burners on high for 15 minutes to heat the grates, brush grates with olive oil, turn off the middle burner, place roast fat-side up on middle burner. If you are grilling, turn roast half way through the cooking.

Cook for 45 to 60 minutes, until the internal temperature of the roast is 130 to 135 degrees. Brush with half of the glaze and cook for 5 minutes longer. Remove the roast from the oven or grill. Place it on a cutting board. Tent it with foil to rest and keep warm for 15 minutes before slicing.

6 Slice into 1/2-inch wide pieces, removing the cooking twine as you cut the roast. Serve with remaining glaze.

Serves 6-8.

Here is a link that might be useful: Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast
o

Posted by katiec (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 27, 12 at 22:55

Oh, goody! Looking forward to new ideas...at the moment we have a freezer full of prime homegrown pork.

This won the chef's vote in a Gilroy Garlic Festival recipe contest ten or so years ago. (I got a t-shirt and a boxful of garlic gadgets.) It's my go to recipe for unexpected company...fast and they think I worked hard:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pork Tenderloin Medallions in Garlic Cream Reduction

Recipe By :Katie, 2001
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Pork

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 pork tenderloins
12 large cloves garlic -- thinly sliced
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon rosemary -- finely chopped (or 1/2 t. dried rosemary, crushed)

Slice tenderloins into thin medallions. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper and fry in a little oil. Place on oven safe plate and keep warm.

Saute garlic in pan until lightly toasted. Add wine and rosemary and cook down to half. Add cream and cook until thickened. Pour over pork medallions.

------

This is from 4H swine project days. Never thought it'd be trendy to wear french braids, tight black jeans and a white shirt, and herd a pig in a show ring, lol.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pork Chops with Caramelized Onion and Fennel Seed

Recipe By :Katie, January 2003
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 pork chops
olive oil
salt, pepper and cayenne
2 large onions -- thinly sliced
2 teaspoons fennel seeds -- crushed
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons water

Brush chops with olive oil and season with salt, pepper and cayenne to taste. Brown chops; remove from pan.

Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil and add onions, fennel seed, crushed red pepper and sugar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are lightly caramelized - 30-45 minutes.

Stir in balsamic vinegar and water. Add pork chops; cover and cook 15-20 minutes until chops are done.

o

Posted by foodonastump (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 28, 12 at 1:31

Jude - You're welcome, and thank YOU! I already made this tonight and we really enjoyed it. Except for the garlic I used dried herbs, and I ground up some fennel seed in lieu of the pollen (come on now!). I can only imagine it would be even better with fresh.

I like pork and am not afraid of it so I don't know why I don't make it more often. Looking forward to continued inspiration from this thread.

o

Posted by pat_t (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 28, 12 at 7:35

CHINESE MEATBALLS

2 (20 oz.) cans water chestnuts
3 bunches green onions, chopped
5 lb. lean ground pork
1/4 cup soy sauce
6 eggs, slightly beaten
1 Tbsp. salt
2-1/2 cups fine dry breadcrumbs
Cornstarch
Oil for frying

Drain and chop water chestnuts; chop onions (top and all). Mix both with meat. Add remaining ingredients, except for the cornstarch and oil. Mix thoroughly with your hands. Chill. Form into balls, using 1 rounded teaspoon for each. Roll lightly in cornstarch. Fry at 370 degrees F. until well browned. Refrigerate until about ready to serve. Warm before serving. Serve with Chinese meatball sauce.

CHINESE MEATBALL SAUCE:
1 cup vinegar
2 cups pineapple juice
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups canned beef consomme
1 can water
2 Tblsp. soy sauce
3 Tblsp. grated fresh ginger
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 cup cold water

Heat together vinegar, pineapple juice, sugar, consomme, water, soy sauce and ginger. Mix cornstarch with cold water and gradually stir into vinegar mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until clear and thickened. Serve meatballs in just enough sauce to form a slight glaze in hot chafing dish. More sauce and meatballs can be added as needed.
**Note**: Five tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger may be used in place of fresh ginger.

Ann's Greek Ribs are a favorite at our house too!

GREEK RIBS

1 or 2 Racks of Baby Back Ribs
2 to 3 garlic cloves
Dried oregano
Juice of 1 to 2 lemons
Lemon zest (Optional)
Salt and pepper
Mince garlic and press with back of knife to turn into a paste. (or use a Microplane)

Rub ribs with garlic, rub on oregano, salt and pepper and lemon zest if using. Squeeze juice of whole lemons over ribs a few hours before cooking.
Note: These can be marinated earlier in the day or overnight, but do not add the lemon juice until a few hours before grilling or the lemon will change the texture of the meat.
Heat grill to high (both sides). Place ribs on one side of grill and turn that side off. Cook, turning occasionally until ribs are tender. On my grill they take about 45 minutes to an hour depending on the size of the ribs but could take longer depending on grill being used.

The best pork I've ever eaten:

PORK LOIN BRAISED IN MILK BOLOGNESE STYLE
1 Tblsp. butter
2 Tblsp. vegetable oil
2-1/2 lb. pork rib roast (see note below)
Salt
Fresh ground black pepper
2-1/2 cups milk

If among the tens of thousands of dishes that constitute the recorded repertory of Italian regional cooking, one were to choose just a handful that most clearly express the genius of the cuisine, this one would be among them. Aside from a minimal amount of fat required to brown the meat, it has only two components, a loin of pork and milk. As they slowly cook together, they are transformed: The pork acquires a delicacy of texture and flavor that lead some to mistake it for veal, and the milk disappears to be replaced by clusters of delicious, nut-brown sauce.

Note: The cut of meat specified above includes the rib bones to which the pork's loin is attached. Have the butcher detach the meat in one piece from the ribs and split the ribs into two or three parts. By having had the loin boned, you can brown it more thoroughly, and by cooking it along with the bones, the roast benefits from the substantial contribution of flavor the bones make.

Another cut of pork that is well suited to this dish is the boneless roll of muscle at the base of the neck, sometimes known as Boston butt. There is a layer of fat in the center of the butt that runs the length of the muscle. It makes this cut very juicy and tasty, but when you carve it later, the slices tend to break apart where the meat adjoins the fat. If you don't think this would be a problem, you ought to consider using the butt because of its excellent flavor and juiciness. Should you do so, substitute 2 pounds of it in one piece for the 2 1/2-pound rib roast.

Do not have any fat trimmed away from either cut of meat. Most of it will melt in the cooking, basting the meat and keeping it from drying. When the roast is done, you will be able to draw it off from the pot, and discard it.

1. Choose a heavy-bottomed pot that can later snugly accommodate the pork, put in the butter and oil, and turn on the heat to medium high. When the butter foam subsides, put in the meat, the side with fat facing down at first. As it browns, turn it, continuing to turn the meat every few moments to brown it evenly all around. If you should find the butter becoming very dark, lower the heat.

2. Add salt, pepper, and 1 cup of milk. Add the milk slowly lest it boil over. Allow the milk to come to a simmer for 20 or 30 seconds, turn the heat down to a minimum, and cover the pot with the lid on slightly ajar.

3. Cook at a very lazy simmer for approximately 1 hour, turning the meat from time to time, until the milk has thickened, through evaporation, into a nut-brown sauce. (The exact time it will take depends largely on the heat of your burner and the thickness of your pot.) When the milk reaches this stage, and not before, add 1 more cup of milk, let it simmer for about 10 minutes, then cover the pot, putting the lid on tightly. Check and turn the pork from time to time.

4. After 30 minutes, set the lid slightly ajar. Continue to cook at minimum heat, and when you see there is no more liquid milk in the pot, add the other 1/2 cup of milk. Continue cooking until the meat feels tender when prodded with a fork and all the milk has coagulated into small nut-brown clusters. Altogether it will take between 2-1/2 and 3 hours. If, before the meat is fully cooked, you find that the liquid in the pot has evaporated, add another 1/2 cup of milk, repeating the step if it should become necessary.

5. When the pork has become tender and all the milk in the pot has thickened into dark clusters, transfer the meat to a cutting board. Let it settle for a few minutes, then cut it into slices about 3/8-inch thick or slightly less, and arrange them on a warm serving platter.

6. Tip the pot and spoon off most of the fat there may be as much as a cup of it being careful to leave behind all the coagulated milk clusters. Add 2 or 3 tablespoons of water, and boil away the water over high heat while using a wooden spoon to scrape loose cooking residues from the bottom and sides of the pot. Spoon all the pot juices over the pork and serve immediately.

From Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan.

o

Posted by nancylouise (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 28, 12 at 8:41

Here are 2 appetizer type pork recipes. One is steamed the other fried. Both taste great. (From Essential FingerFood Cookbook)

Pork Dumplings
5 oz pork-minced
5 oz shrimp-minced
3 oz bamboo shoots-chopped
3 spring onions-finely chopped
3 mushrooms-finely chopped
1 stalk celery-finely chopped
1 pepper-finely chopped
1 TBSP sherry
1 TBSP soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 hot chilli pepper-chopped
40-50 wonton wrappers

With the exception of the wonton, put all ingredients into bowl and mix well. Place a generous teaspoon in the center of the wonton. Brush edges with water. Gather up the sides around the filling like a pouch. Leave a little open space on top. Steam in a bamboo steamer or metal one for approximately 15 minutes. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce or soy sauce.

Pork with Lemon Grass
13 oz pork-minced
1 tsp fresh ginger-minced
1 stem lemon grass-thinly sliced
1 small can water chestnuts-drained and finely chopped
2 TBSP chives-finely chopped
1/2 tsp chilli paste
2 TBSP plum sauce
1 tsp chilli oil
1 tsp sesame oil
1 TBSP cornflour
50 wonton wrappers
oil for deep frying

With the exception of the won tons, place all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Chill for about an hour.
Place around 2 tsp or the pork mixture in the center of the wonton. Brush the edges with water and bring up around filling. Seal tightly.
In hot oil fry filled wontons for about 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Remove with slotted spoon and drain. Serve with dipping sauces.
NancyLouise

o

Tue, Feb 28, 12 at 20:16

I understand there's going to be some very chilly weather in some parts of the country in the next few days. A good time to make a hearty stew. There's not a lot of pork in this recipe but it definitely adds to the taste.

Hungry Man's Stew

Brown together: 1 lb. ground chuck, 1/4 lb. hot PORK sausage, 2 lg. chopped onions.
Add: 1/4 teas. cayenne pepper, 1 teas. garlic salt, 2 C. crushed canned tomatoes, 2 C. water, 1 1/2 teas. worcestershire sauce. Simmer for 2 hours. Last 30 min. add 3 med potatoes, diced and 1 16 oz can cream style corn. Salt to taste.

If you need to stretch the recipe to feed more, just add more potatoes. I serve this with cornbread and cole slaw.

Enjoy!

jude

o

Posted by annie1992 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 29, 12 at 21:03

Jude, that recipe above would also be good served over baked potatoes instead of putting the potatoes in it, I think. Right now I'm just having this "thing" with all kinds of stuff to top baked potatoes. Maybe I need more potassium, LOL.

OK, my favorite pork roast. Of course, I use my own home pressed apple cider to brine the pork, but store bought is good in a pinch. This is also healthy, from Cooking Light:

APPLE CIDER BRINED PORK ROAST

3 cups apple cider
3 cups water
1 bay leaf
� cup salt
1 tbls black peppercorns
1 tbls coriander seeds
1 2 lb. Pork loin, trimmed
2 cups cider
1 � tsp chopped fresh rosemary
1 � tsp chopped fresh sage
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Combine the first 6 ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring until salt dissolves. Remove from heat, cool, and pour into a Ziploc bag or container big enough to hold the pork loin. Add pork, seal and let marinate 8 hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350, bring 2 cups cider to a boil over medium high heat. Boil until cider is thickened and reduced to � cup, about 15 minutes. Set aside. Remove pork from bag or container and discard brine. Place pork on broiler pan or baking dish and lightly coat with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining herbs and bake about 1 hour, until pork is done, basting twice with the reduced cider in the last 20 minutes of baking. Remove from oven, baste with remaining cider reduction. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.

Serves 8

200 calories per 4 oz. Serving, 6 grams fat

This is really good roasted with apple slices and wedges of onion, and I like to add sweet potatoes to the mix too.

Annie

o

Posted by ruthanna (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 1, 12 at 10:08

I often make pork but that's one ingredient where I don't usually use recipes to prepare it. The rest of the ingredients I have on hand determine what it will turn into.

The butcher stalls at our farmers' markets offer just about any piggy parts you can imagine. My favorites are pork hocks, thick "dark meat" sirloin chops (which I usually cube) and country-style ribs. Occasionally, I'll buy a pork tenderloin but rarely make standard loin pork chops or roasts.

I recently tried this recipe from a Wegmans food magazine and it was very moist and flavorful.

ITALIAN-STYLE SLOW-ROASTED PORK

3 small onions, peeled, halved and sliced
2 navel oranges, unpeeled, thinly sliced
1 (7-10 pound) pork shoulder
6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 Tbs. fennel seed
Salt and cracked black pepper

Equipment: roasting pan (remove rack), gravy separator

DAY BEFORE: Combine onion and orange slices in roasting pan. Diagonally score fat-side (top) of pork about � inch deep in a diamond pattern. Rub garlic, then fennel seeds into top of pork. Season well with salt and pepper. Place pork on top of onion and orange slices. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate overnight.

DAY OF MEAL: Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Remove plastic wrap. Bake uncovered for 7-8 hours. Do not baste or turn meat over.

Remove from oven; carefully place roast on clean platter and allow to rest. As roast rests, ladle hot juices into gravy separator. Reserve de-fatted juices (au jus); keep warm. Discard onions and oranges.

Serve au jus with pork.

PORK & CARROT CASSEROLE

1 - 2 Tbs. salad oil
1 to 1 1/2 lbs. pork pieces, cut into 1 inch chunks
2 large carrots, peeled
1 medium onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup lightly packed chopped celery leaves
1 Tbs. brown sugar
3 Tbs. dry red wine
1 tsp. salt (or less to taste
1/4 tsp. pepper

In skillet over high heat, brown pork cubes in oil, stirring frequently. With slotted spoon, remove meat to 1 1/2 qt. casserole.

Meanwhile, cut each carrot crosswise into thirds, then lengthwise into thin slices. Cut onion in half crosswise, then lengthwise into thin slices.

Preheat over to 350. In drippings remaining in skillet over medium heat, cook carrots and onions until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Add remaining ingredients and heat to boiling, stirring to loosen any brown bits from bottom of skillet. Pour sauce into casserole with meat, stirring to mix. Cover casserole and bake 45 minutes to one hour, or until meat is tender.

Good served with mashed potatoes or egg noodles.

o

Posted by seagrass (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 1, 12 at 12:47

Here's an old standby for the crockpot:

CRANBERRY PORK ROAST

1 boneless rolled pork loin roast (2 1/2 - 3 lbs)
1 16 oz. can Ocean Spray jellied cranberry sauce
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. cranberry juice
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp. ground cloves

Place pork in slow cooker. In a medium bowl, mash the cranberry sauce with the other ingredients and pour over the roast. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours until meat is tender.

Remove roast and keep warm. Skim fat from the juices, measure 2 cups (add water if needed). Bring to boil over medium high heat and add a mix of 2 Tbsps. cornstarch mixed with 2 Tbsps. cold water. Whisk into the gravy and stir until thick. Salt and pepper to taste.

(This is really great with mashed potatoes - as the years go by I usually don't bother thickening the broth with the cornstarch. I use a gravy separator to pull the fat off off the juices. The original recipe called for 1/2 cup of sugar, which was too much for me. I use half that. I might try next time eliminating the sugar altogether and see how that comes out. Regardless, with the 1/4 cup it's always a hit and it's so darn EASY).

seagrass

o

Posted by jasdip (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 1, 12 at 19:54

We really like these chipotle glazed ribs! Plan ahead...simmering and marinating is needed.

Chipotle-Glazed Ribs

3 lb back or side ribs
2 tbsp lemon zest
1 tsp salt
1 cup ketchup12 chipotle peppers, minced
1 tbsp adobo sauce
1 1/2 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tbsp molasses
1 1/2 tsp southwestern/cajun spice blend (I make my own)
2 tbsp brown sugar

Pour water in roasting pan to come 1/2" up sides. Cut ribs in 2-rib portions and place meaty side up in a single layer.
Cover and steam-roast at 325 for 75-90 minutes. Transfer to a large baking dish. Combine lemon zest and salt and rub all over the ribs.

Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients and simmer 1/2 hour. Brush 1/2 the sauce over the ribs.

Cover and refrigerate 4 hours, turning and brushing with glaze at least once.

Preheat oven to 375. Let ribs come to room temperature.
Bake, brushing with remaining sauce until heated through and glazed, brushing with sauce one or two times.

o

Posted by ruthanna (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 4, 12 at 9:50

DD#1 still liked to make ramen noodles after her college days and this is one of the recipes she used. Nowadays, we use fresh spinach instead of frozen.

SUKIYAKI-STYLE PORK

1 Tbs. vegetable oil
1 large onion, halved, thinly sliced
1/4 lb. mushrooms, sliced
1 (10 oz.) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed, and squeezed dry
5 cups water
2 (3 oz.) pkgs. Oriental style Ramen noodles
2 Tbsp. Reduced sodium soy sauce
2 Tbsp. Sugar
1 (8 oz.) can sliced bamboo shoots, drained and rinsed
1 pork tenderloin (8 oz.) thinly sliced
1/4 cup shredded radish (optional but good)

Heat oil; add onion and saute over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms; saute 2 minutes. Add spinach and water. Bring to boiling. Add noodles from ramen packets. Boil 2 minutes. Add ONE seasoning packet from the noodle mixes and remaining ingredients, except radish. Simmer about 5 minutes or until meat is cooked through. Pour into bowls and sprinkle with radish. Serves 4. Serve with carrot-sesame salad.

CARROT-SESAME SALAD

1 Tbsp. Sesame seeds
6 large carrots, peeled
2 Tbsp. Rice wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. salt.

Toast seeds, stirring, in small skillet over medium-low heat until golden, about 4 minutes. Shred carrots into bowl. Add seeds and remaining ingredients. Stir to mix. Refrigerate. Serves 4.

Photobucket

o

Posted by cloudy_christine (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 4, 12 at 12:02

I posted this once before, but it's my favorite pork recipe, and it's really easy, so here it is again. It's from Martha Stewart Living, and goes especially well with the spinach and walnut salad that was with it in the magazine.
Let them mix on the plate -- the walnuts and spinach and mustard sauce mingle beautifully.

Pork Tenderloin with Mustard-Wine Sauce

1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 pork tenderloin (about 1 pound)
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Whisk together wine, water, and mustard. Season pork on all sides with salt and pepper.
Heat a 12-inch ovenproof saute pan over medium-high heat; add oil. Sear pork until browned on all sides, about 6 minutes total. Remove from heat. Carefully add mustard-wine mixture. Transfer pan to oven.
Roast pork, spooning sauce over meat about halfway through, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of meat registers 145 degrees, about 15 minutes. Let pork rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Drizzle with sauce.

Baby Spinach with Warm Olive Oil and Walnuts

2 ounces walnuts (about 3/4 cup)
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
6 ounces baby spinach, washed well (about 6 cups packed)
2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

Combine walnuts and oil in a small saucepan over medium- low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until walnuts are toasted, about 15 minutes.
Toss spinach with vinegar, and season with salt and pepper. Top with walnuts, and drizzle with warm olive oil.

o

Posted by iris_gal (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 4, 12 at 17:01

The pork is one note in an entire symphony of flavors. The garbanzos and brown rice are especially kind to one another. From Real Simple of all sites!

Spiced Pork and Apricot Stew

2 1/2 lbs. boneless pork shoulder or butt, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 2-inch pieces
1 T. paprika (smoked is nice)
2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
kosher salt and black pepper
1 med. onion, sliced 1/2-inch thick (prefer coarse chop)
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup apricot preserves
1 T. cider vinegar
2 T. cornstarch
15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed
1/2 cup dried apricots, halved

1 cup couscous or brown rice
sliced scallions and chopped roasted almonds, for serving

In a large pot, toss the pork with the paprika, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, cayenne, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. black pepper.
Scatter the onion over the pork.
Add the broth, preserves, and vinegar to the pot and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until tender, about 2 1/2 hours.
In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and 1/4 cup water; stir into the pork.
Add the chickpeas and dried apricots and simmer, uncovered, until the cooking liquid is slightly thickened, 15 to 20 minutes more.
Meanwhile, place the couscous in a small bowl. Add 1 cup hot tap water, cover, and let sit for 5 minutes; fluff with a fork.
Serve with the stew and sprinkle with scallions and almonds.

Note: I love it over brown rice. You may want the dried apricots more chewy --- add a bit later. Freezes well.

o

Wed, Mar 7, 12 at 16:48

Confession....I have not tried this recipe but it sounds so yummy! Comes from Sara Foster's Market restaurant in Durham, NC. I have read much about her and her restaurant but never had the opportunity to go there. Wonder if TeresaNC has been there. Hmmmm.

Rice Noodles with Hoisin-Marinated Pork and Wilted Spinach

At the market anything with hoisin sauce is well received by our customers, and this dish is no exception.

Serves 4

1 1-pound pork tenderloin
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon light soy sauce or tamari
1 tablespoon Thai chile paste
6 ounces rice noodles
1 tablespoon canola or safflower oil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 scallions, minced (white and green parts)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
1 small fresh red or green chile pepper, thinly sliced
1/4 cup mirin or Chinese cooking wine
2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
6 cups loosely packed spinach
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves

1. Trim the pork tenderloin of sinew and fat, rinse and pat dry. Place the tenderloin in a shallow glass dish or in a large sealable plastic bag.

2. Stir the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and chile paste together in a small bowl, pour the marinade over the tenderloin and turn the pork or shake the bag to coat the pork. Cover the bowl or close the bag and set aside to marinate the pork at room temperature for about 30 minutes at room temperature or up to overnight in the refrigerator.

3. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Remove the pot from the heat and immerse the noodles in the water. Let the noodles stand in the hot water, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes or until just tender. Drain the noodles and set aside.

4. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Remove the pork from the marinade, season all sides with salt and pepper, and place it the skillet to sear for 8 minutes, turning the tenderloin every 2 minutes to brown all four sides. Reduce the heat to low and cook it for about 3 minutes, turning occasionally. Add the scallions, garlic, ginger and chile, and cook and stir for about 1 minute. Remove the skillet from the heat and transfer the pork to a cutting board to rest, loosely covered with foil for about 5 minutes, leaving the vegtables in the skillet.

5. Stir the mirin, fish sauce, vinegar, and sugar together in a small bowl and add it to the skillet. Add the noodles and spinach, toss gently to combine and cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes, until the noodles are heated through and the spinach is wilted. Remove from the heat, stir in the cilantro leaves, and season with salt and pepper to taste.

6. Thinly slice the tenderloin and arrange on the noodles. Serve warm.

jude

o

Posted by chase (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 7, 12 at 18:08

My favourite meat!

This recipe always pleases. I always cut in half and use just one rack of ribs,usually 5 ribs. Plan on 1 rib per person and a few extra for those who want more...and they will.

Pork With Herb Crust

2 (3- to 4-pound) racks of
-pork 3
-tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
7 garlic cloves -- minced
1/3 cup fresh basil -- Chopped
1/3 cup fresh thyme -- Chopped
1/3 cup fresh parsley -- Chopped
2 tablespoon pepper -- Coarsely Ground
1 1/4 cup butter (or margarine) -- cut up
-1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 can chicken broth
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoon fresh sage -- Chopped
1/4 teaspoon pepper

. Rub pork with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt. Stir together garlic
and next 4 ingredients; press onto pork. Place pork on a rack in a
lightly greased broiler pan; cover bone tips with aluminum foil to
prevent burning.
. Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a meat thermometer
inserted into thickest portion registers 150max, I prefer 140-145 ! Transfer pork to a
serving tray.Cover and let rest while making sauce (even if you dont make the sauce let the pork rest for at least 10 minutes to redistribute juices and let the internal temp climb a bit more) Pour pan drippings
. into a skillet.
. Add butter to drippings; cook over medium heat until butter melts.
Whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, until caramel
colored. Gradually whisk
. in broth and next 3 ingredients; cook over medium heat, whisking
constantly, 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
Serve with 'pork. Garnish, if desired. Yield: 8 servings.

o

Comment (1)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio