SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joan_ollendorf

Desperate for help making an open plan cozier and more Craftsman-like

Joanie123
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I apologize for the long text but have so many questions to ask. Thanks in advance for your help!

We started out building our dream Craftsman-style home but needed to change plans. The original advice I got on Houzz for ceiling height and furnishings was based upon the layout of my original building plan and the fact that I was trying to replicate what I had seen in photos of authentic Craftsman homes. But that all has changed, since my new home is now open concept LR/DR/kitchen. It will not be Craftsman in design but I want to give it Craftsman touches as much as possible using my existing furnishings and adding to them where necessary. So, I am now, again, trying to determine whether to go with a ceiling height of 9’ or 10’ and, to the extent I can in advance, how best to place furnishings and wall decor. The new LR/great room is fairly large and filled with light on two wides from large windows but I'd still like to create a Craftsman "feel." That is why I am asking for help here.

Problem: What ceiling height and furniture placement are best in this great room that is 18 ft wide x 12-1/2 ft deep? (Please see photos 1 and 2 below that are the model home unfurnished and then furnished.) It is not my style (which is Craftsman) but you can see the room size and window configuration. This room does have a 10’ foot ceiling. I could make ours 9' (but the DR and kitchen ceilings then also have to be 9’.) While we will be putting in a Craftsman style mantle, this great room is clearly not the cozy Craftsman look that I love, but I want to make it cozier to the extent possible.

I struggle with how to place my existing furniture and will likely have to purchase more furniture and accessories to fill this room in. (Please see photo 3 below for my current Craftsman furnishings and placement, which were purchased for a much smaller living area.) Also, I don't know what size rug to get, but I’m sure that my current rug is too small at 5’7” x 7’11”. I would like the furniture grouped around the Craftsman mantle, but the room is so wide that the couch and chairs would need to be pulled away from the walls a lot and ”floated” in the room. So many questions!!!

1. Should I keep the 10 ft ceilings and higher windows in the great room, kitchen, and DR or lower them to 9’ for a more Craftsman feel but lose some of the light?

2. If I float the furniture to move it toward the mantle, what do I do with all the space behind the furniture?

3. Is there a better room arrangement that will still keep the mantle the focal point?

4. What size rug is best?

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Comments (46)