SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_250784160

Floor Staining/Refinishing Questions from a DIY-er!

C A
3 years ago

Hi,

I have a company coming to sand my pine floors, but I will do the rest of the work myself. I have a few questions.

1. Can I use more than one coat of stain? I have read that this is not a good idea and have also read it's ok. Btw, I'm using oil based Minwax (only Minwax and Varathane are in the country I'm in).

2. I will water pop before. I tried samples with conditioner and don't like it. I liked my samples with water popping more. I will leave the water to dry overnight--is that ok? Is there such thing as leaving it to dry too long?

3. What materials are best for applying water based poly? T-bar or roller?

4. Can I expect my brown stain color will stay more or less like that color with a water based poly over time? Or can it get amber and orange like what oil based does over time to it?

5. My pine floors are very very long boards that span the whole length of the room. Does this mean I need to hurry and stain each piece beginning to end without stopping?

6. Is water based poly difficult to apply? Any tips about this?

7. Do I need to stand if I do more than one coat of stain? How many hours should I want between stain coats?

8. They will sand professionally for me. I will water pop, stain then poly. Is that all? Or am I supposed to also use sealer in any step or do anything else?

*Photo is the sample I made after water popping then putting two coats of stain (waiting hours between each step).

Comments (101)