SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_870876849

HELP!!! I'm new to tropicals, citrus and green house.

Jane Cowan
3 years ago

I live in upstate NY. I purchased a Meyers lemon and a Mexican guava. They arrived as a twig, put on back deck, brought them in by sliding glass door when weather went below 50 degrees,
these two plants are huge and healthy. I purchased 3 very poor looking, small banana plants. Planted them, put in front of sliding glass door and outside on deck in Sumner as weather permitted. Plants did wonderful and grew like crazy. Recently I figured I'd try my hand at a green house, so we built one in my basement to see if I could do it before going to the expense of outdoors. We built the room, added a heater, humidifier, plant lighting, fans. Purchased 3 planifolia orchids. I'm FAILING TERRIBLY!!! my citrus is still doing great. I've lost one banana and another one is now looking bad. I've lost all 3 orchids. I've acquired thousands of very very tiny flies mainly in the dirt of the banana plants, but also citrus. I've tried Natria Insecticidal Soap Organic Miticide, just keeps getting worse. I'm trying neem oil, I'm still losing the battle. I keep the temp in the upper 70's, my humidity is 50's - 60's. Help :-(

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!