SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_745185586

Is it possible to install a range hood under a soffit w/o a cabinet?

I'm finally remodeling a very old/ugly kitchen! One thing I'm struggling with is that there is a bulkhead/soffit running along one wall. I plan on having it trimmed to create more space, but it cannot be removed (a duct runs through it and runs along the entire side of the kitchen).

I'm really tired of wall cabinets + am planning on only having two cabinets (one on either side of the range to "hide" things I wouldn't want displayed) and having floating shelves along the wall to the left of the range.

I could use a 15" cabinet above the range and run the range duct through it as I've done for years. However, I'm really tired of that look and want a change. I'm also purchasing a really nice 36" range, so I hate the idea of just having the range hood go into a cabinet above the range + was hoping to find something more modern and visually appealing.

Would installing a range hood along the wall that goes into the soffit/bulkhead w/o using one of those little above the range cabinets look ok, or does this type of hood only look ok if the range hood runs all the way to the ceiling? My ceiling are pretty high, and I will trim back the soffit/bulkhead above the cabinets to about half the size of what you see in this photo, but I'll still have about a 1.5' soffit just under the ceiling that the hood would need to go into.

I've included a photo of my current kitchen + a photo of the type of range hood I was thinking of using.

Thanks so much + hope everyone is having a nice weekend!

Here's my current kitchen...

Here's an idea of the type of range I thought of getting...

Comments (4)