SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

Doable?--build soffit in adjoining room to hide range hood ductwork

julieste
3 years ago

We are making remodeling plans for our kitchen, and I have been struggling with figuring out how to vent for months. This is my last possible idea (because nothing else will work in our situation) before just resigning myself to just getting a recirculating vent fan hood.

We're in a townhouse with a very small kitchen, and the range is centered on an interior wall that it shares with the nextdoor unit; in fact, the entire kitchen is interior with no exterior wall. We are in Florida, and these are 8' ceilings. Currently there is the typical microwave with fan above the range. When we remodel we intend to get an induction range. We cook but not lots of heavy-duty cooking with strong aromas, and we don't do much frying at all. There is no space in the common wall to run vent ductwork between units. To the right of the kitchen there is a den which does have an outside wall.

Would this idea work? Get one of those hoods that are mounted under a cabinet. Run its ductwork through that cabinet above the hood. At the ceiling, make a 90 degree right turn, and conceal the ductwork in the adjacent cabinetry (a run of maybe 4'). Then, run the ductwork through the wall into the next room (the den). There the ductwork would run for 11 or 12' along the ceiling in the den until it reaches the outside wall where an opening can be cut. In the den I'd have a soffit built to conceal the ductwork.

So, basically I'd have vent ductwork that makes a 90 turn above the range and then has a straight run of about 15' before it goes to the outside.

As I said, we have no other options other than just recirculating venting. We have explored all other possibilities and eliminated them.

Possible? Big problems? Forget it? A goofy look in the adjoining den? Thanks.

Comments (20)