SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wi_sailorgirl

Is running vent hood ducting through cabinets OK?

wi-sailorgirl
11 years ago

I apologize if this a stupid question. Like a lot of people, I'm perplexed by venting. I've searched both this forum and the web (and read the FAQs) and I'm still confused. My solution seems to be obvious, yet I've seen little mentioned of it, which leads me to believe I'm missing something.

Sometime in the next year or so (we're budgeting and making decisions now and then pulling the trigger when the special savings account and the cabinet maker are ready) we're going to do a small overhaul of our kitchen which will involve putting in new upper cabinets that go to the 8' ceiling (the rest will be refaced).

We currently have a Jenn-Air downdraft range. The range is great, but the downdraft, not so much (no surprise there, right?) I'm also not keen with the idea that when our 10-year-old range bites the dust our only choice is to replace it with another Jenn-Air (assuming they still make that model when we get to that point). Seems that now is the time to address the venting issue, which will also give us options in the future when it comes to replacing the range.

The range is on an interior wall in a two-story house. The joists do not run the correct direction to go in to the ceiling and then outside (about an 8-foot run).

My thought was to just run the ductwork through the top of the cabinets then outside and put a false front in there so you don't see the duct. Sort of like a soffit through the cabinets. Other than losing some space in the cabinets is there a drawback to this approach?

I definitely do not want a recirculating vent. If that's the only option I'd rather stick with the downdraft. Moving the range, etc. are not an option.

Here's a photo of the current kitchen so you can see the layout.

Comments (16)