SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jromilw

Long Duct Run for Vented Dryer vs. Condenser Dryer

jromilw
17 years ago

I need to buy a compact size washer and dryer to go in a hall closet (I have only have 29 1/4" between the back wall and the closet door).

I can add whatever electrical service is needed and can vent outside through a somewhat convoluted run of ductwork:

The duct would go up the back wall of the closet, then between the ceiling joists for about 6 feet, then jog over to go between the next set of ceiling joists for another 8 feet and then through the outside wall. All told, the duct would run about 18 feet, with 4 turns.

Some of the sales people I've spoken to have recommended that I go with a condenser dryer instead of a vented dryer. Their rationale has been that the length of the duct and the turns required will (1) impact the efficiency of the the vented dryer enough that the condenser dryer will be equal in drying speed and (2) create a fire danger because of lint build up.

I currently have an Equator EZ 3600 CEE washer/dryer combo that has a 1.9 cu. ft. drum and runs on 110. I know the Asko, Bosch and Miele condenser dryers all have a larger drum capacity and use 220 versus the 110 of my current machine, but I'm a little hesitant to go with another condenser dryer because my current machine takes 2 hours to dry 2 bath towels.

I live by myself, so I tend to do smaller, more frequent loads, but I do have king-size sheets.

Any thoughts on whether to go with a vented or condenser dryer would be much appreciated. Frankly, the cost to add the ductwork won't be a driving factor if I'll get better performance from a vented dryer.

Finally, if you have any recommendations on Asko, vs. Bosch, vs. Miele, that would be great too. I'd be looking at the following models:

Asko: W6222 washer with either the T712 or T712C (ventless) dryer OR the W6461 washer with either the T731 or T741 (ventless) dryer.

Bosch: Either the WFR2460UC (Axxis+) or WFL2090UC (Axxis) washer with either the WTA4410US or WTE86300US (ventless) dryer.

Miele: W113 washer with either the T1312 or T1332C (ventless) dryer

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jan

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor