SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jay_shoemaker3593880

Vent Hood Duct: Size, Gauges, Material, and Make-Up Air

Jay Shoemaker
2 years ago

Hello,

I'm installing a hood vent in my kitchen remodel. The hood will be greater than or equal to 600 CFM. The one model that I'm looking at is 1200 CFM with lower settings so if I don't need it I won't use the high settings.

Duct Size: I'm installing an 8" duct. The larger vents require it, and I'd rather go bigger than smaller. I can only fit 8" so 10" is not an option on my build. My run needs two 90 degree turns and two 8 foot runs through the roof. This is well under the maximum run specified by the vent manufacturers. That was easy - check.

Make-Up Air: It seems like everyone ignores this. I'm not going to ignore it. Most code books say something to the extent of "anything over 300 CFM requires a make up air system". I'm going to place a vent in the ceiling, near my stove. That vent will be connected to 8" flex duct and will use the Broan Make-up Air Kit MD8TU with pressure sensor so that it opens up when the vent is turned on. This is what one HVAC professional recommended, and it makes perfect sense to me. My make-up air intake will be on the side of the house, while the vent will go out the roof. So they are sufficiently far apart from each other (another tid bit of code the pro told me about). I think this part is OK - check.

Here is a photo of a similar make-up air vent that we plan to build.

Guages and Material: I found a PDF that details out the guage requirements based on "Type 1" and "Type 2".

As far as I can tell, my hood vent is a Type 1 hood because it's going over an range/oven/cooktop. It's NOT commercial, nor is it any special range - just a whirlpool model. So I'm not cooking all day long every day with high grease foods, but there will be grease. Therefore, the specifications say that I need either a 18 guage galvanized steel duct, or a 20 guage stainless steel duct. The reason for this is because of the heat going through the vent, we need to be sure the heat doesn't transfer out of the vent. We also need to watch for grease fires, so we need the ability to clean it easily. I can't find the thicker gauage ducts yet, but I'm going to call my local supply house and I'll post back here when I find out. I imagine that they will be expensive (especially the stainless steel one). The thickest I found is 26 guage so far. So is the larger guage necessary??? Have others who have done this gone with the thicker guages?

Here is a photo of the PDF here: https://building.saccounty.net/Public%20Documents/PM-09%20Type%20I%20and%20II%20Hood%20Differences.pdf

So thanks for reading my plan - does it overall sound good? My only remaining question is what guage vent pipe I need. Please help! Thank you! :-)

Jay

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!