SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennyhg

Kitchen exhaust hood requirements to avoid a make-up air damper

jennyhg
6 years ago

I’m hope this is the correct forum to pose this question.

This spring I will be remodeling my 1989 kitchen and have a dilemma regarding the range exhaust hood. For background, the current duct work is 4” diameter, exhausts down and has two 90-degree elbows. Increasing the size of the duct to whatever is required for the hood I choose is a given.

I would prefer a chimney-style hood, but this would require rerouting the duct vertically up through the ceiling, then running it inside the ceiling between joists to the outside. This route would still require two 90-degree elbows. The blower I’m looking for this can be reduced to under 400 cfms so that a make-up air damper is not required.

However, if I chose an undercabinet hood that’s vented through the wall horizontally, I would use the existing downward route. The hood I’m looking at in this case has a 400 cfm blower that cannot be reduced.

My question is, if I purchase the undercabinet 400 cfm blower unit, do the two 90-degree elbows and downward route reduce the blower’s efficiency enough to allow me to avoid the need for the make-up air damper? If not, can’t I just open a door or window when the blower is on high?

Thanks!

Comment (1)