SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ncmomtothree

Replacing my windows to stop melting new neighbor’s vinyl?

ncmomtothree
3 years ago

My home was built in 2007 and a new home built on the next lot last year. Three of my upstairs reflective windows have melted the new neighbor’s vinyl siding. He would like me to replace these windows with non reflective ones. I contacted a local window replacement group who told me this room would now get much hotter without the reflective windows. He suggested asking the neighbor to pay for solar shades (for the entire room). My questions:

1. other options than replacing my windows? Trees are not possible as he built right to the edge of the lot line. We had screens on the windows and they still melted his siding. Are there are other types of screens that would stop this?

2. is there a type of vinyl he could use on his house that wouldn’t melt? Why am I responsible for changing my windows? My house was here long before his.

3. Would Indoor solar shades mitigate the increased solar energy we will have removing the reflective windows?

Thanks for your help. I would like to be a good neighbor but I don’t want to be screwed while doing it.

Comments (23)