SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ajpdla

DIY Replacement Windows - in Vinyl siding

ajpdla
16 years ago

My wife and I are seriously thinking about replacing our aluminum framed windows with vinyl windows this summer -- and, get this, doing it ourselves. She has this funky notion that I, with no experience in windows whatsoever, can just go out there, remove one window at a time, and replace them with the new ones, zip, that's it. All done. LOL. Well, I am quite the handyman; but I really have no idea how to get this honey-do, well, honey-done.

Sure, I can just go out there, pop one out, and pop one back in. But...the biggest obstacle in my way is what to do with the vinyl siding and metal wrap around the existing window.

The existing window footprint is like, oh, I don't know, an inch to 2 inches wide. The new replacement window would be up to 4, possibly 4 1/2 to 5 inches wide. Where does that leave the metal wrap? It would have to be cut back at some point; right? Or does the window lie on it and just caulk around it?

Do I remove it and be stuck with whatever lies underneath: possibly bad wood which would look terrible unless it is sanded and reprimed and painted? I mean, why did the previous owners vinyl side and metal wrap anyway? I don't wanna know what's under there, not right yet.

So... does anyone know the answers here or can you point me in the direction of a good visual display of how to deal with replacement windows going into a vinyl sided, metal wrapped windowed house? My wife, I know, would surely appreciate this information.

Thanks.

Aaron

Comments (4)