SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berkshire80

Vinyl Siding Replacement

berkshire80
11 years ago

Hello,

My family and I have a 1950 Cape that was covered in Vinyl Siding roughly 30 years ago. The vinyl was installed by covering all of the original sheathing and shake siding with 1/2" medium density fibreboard and then slapping the vinyl on top of that. The trim work was all wrapped in white aluminum. Wouldn't the proper way to install the vinyl siding would have been to remove the shake siding down to the tongue and groove sheathing, wrap the house, then install the vinyl?

The siding has faded terrible over the years and the house is now a very bleached out grey, which I've come to detest. We've been trying to determine what to do. Most people we talk to seem to think replacing the vinyl siding would be a complete waste of money as vinyl is supposed to be "final" (not sure how much I agree with this).

I'm also concerned about what, if any, moisture damage the vinyl is covering up.

I'd love to hear some opinions on this. Is vinyl siding ever replaced or is it typically good for a lifetime? Also, the manner in which it was installed, i.e. covering original shakes with MDF and then vinyl a good installation method or should this have me worried?

I'm leaning towards stripping everything off right down to the sheathing and starting over so I can see what lies beneath before siding again. The contractors I've talked to for advice look at me like I'm from another planet when I mention this though. They seem to take the same stance that, why would anyone go through that kind of effort to replace vinyl.

Thanks for your input!

Comments (7)