SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brandon_christ

Tips for first time finishing hardwood floors?

Brandon Christ
3 years ago

I recently removed the carpet on my old house (built 1941) and the very old (40 years or so) carpet padding left stain all over the hardwood underneath. While the hardwood isn't in "great" shape it otherwise is satisfactory to me, other than the stains. I only plan on living in this house for about 5 more years and it is just a starter home with just me and my fiancee living in it, so the floors don't need to look perfect.

I was hoping I could just do a light screen to get the stains off, but the hardwood pros I spoke to said those stain always fully penetrate the finish and you have to sand down to bare wood and do a complete refinish. They want around $2000 to do it. Since I don't want to spend that on a house I won't be in much longer, I figured it would be good just to refinish myself. My goal isn't to make it look perfect (though I will try my best), but to simply make it look better than it is.

I already received some advice to use a random orbit sander instead of a drum sander. However, I am seeing conflicting information on which type of polyurethane would be easier for a first timer: water or oil. Any opinions?

Also I am seeing that it would better to go with natural wood instead of stain if you don't have experience with refinishing. Is that correct? And you have to use sealer before applying the poly if you don't stain?

Any other advice would be great.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County