SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

Site-finishing hardwood floor DIY...could use tips

weedyacres
15 years ago

We installed unfinished 5" walnut planks ourselves in our dining room, and were going to hire out the sanding and polyurethaning, but the guy we hired proposed that he'd sand and teach us to poly, and he only charged us $150 for a 13x13 room (plus we bought the poly and supplies). We're intrepid DIY-ers, so we agreed.

DANG, the poly is tedious, painstaking work. We've got a 20x20 room about 6-8 months down the road, and I'm not sure I'm game for another go-round unless we can figure out something less painful. Here's what we did. Your advice would be appreciated.

Coat 1: (done by pro + my DH under his tutelage) Applied with a roller, 3 rows at a time, got down on the floor between each pass, eyeballed it, pulled out any loose hairs, re-rolled any that didn't get enough poly or were gunched. Protected room by closing door to kitchen and rolling up a towel against the bottom to prevent air (dust) from getting in, and taping a plastic drop cloth over the doorway into the foyer.

Coat 2: lightly sanded with scotch brite pads, applied poly with a roller as in coat #1, two sets of eyes inspecting to fix bad stuff. Hey, this didn't feel too hard. Closed up as before.

Coat 3: Found a half dozen cat hairs I had to scrape out and a few strips of puddling that missed inspection. Sanded by hand with scotch brite pads wrapped around a slice of 2x4 to dig in a little deeper. Took 3 hours, dripping with sweat. Wiped down with tack cloth, applied 3rd coat with a mohair brush, close inspection with 2 sets of eyes to pull out hairs (cat, brush, and personal) and correct missed spots. Closed up as before, plus taped over the cold air return, thinking that might be the source of some dust.

Coat 4: Found that the puddles weren't completely eliminated by my sanding, so DH screened them, then sanded with an electric sander + scotch brite pad the whole floor. Applied 4th coat with foam brush to reduce brush hair loss (3 hours). Closed up as before.

Coat 5: Still not perfect, so DH did another round of scotch-brite sanding, and 4 hours of painstaking poly in a thicker coat, with a foam brush, inspection, etc.

I think we're finally done, and happy with the results. But MAN, there's got to be a better/easier/less painful way. Any tips?

Comments (6)