SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
midcenturymodernlove

Final Walkthrough - Going Alone Customary in your Area?

Curious. When we sell, it is our policy, from long experience, to always remove lock boxes/keys after inspections conclude), because no one else needs to be in the house until closing. Our agent was notified when it was removed, as always.

Mr. Buyer Agent scheduled the final walk-through through the showing service for a late hour, which I found a little odd. I would think someone would want to look in the daylight, but no matter. I arrived half an hour prior to the scheduled time to unlock, turn on lights, and be ready to step outside or wait in the car while Buyers and Agent did their walk-through, at which time I would then lock up and depart.

No one showed up. No one bothered to cancel or reschedule the appointment online through the service. Nothing. Over an hour later after standing there waiting, I locked up and departed, after notifying my agent that Buyer Agent was a no-show.

A DAY later, the Buyer Agent is complaining (via email) that his clients deserved a walk-through and had shown up after I left (which was over an hour after the appointment time Agent scheduled). Yes, they did deserve and reserve a walk-through time at the time YOU scheduled, for which you did not show, reschedule, nor apologize.

The Buyers/Buyer's Agent do not deserve nor receive unrestricted access at any time they decide to show up at a house they do not own.

It was suddenly obvious that Mr. Buyer Agent had NOT even accompanied these Buyers, or he would have messaged at the moment he was standing there and could not get them in. He would not wait to complain the next day about being unable to enter.

Mr. Buyer Agent actually sent the Buyers alone to gain access with the code he assumed would still work to let them in a Seller's house. The Buyers - who are nice people - later apologized to me for being no-shows and when I asked why a time adjustment request wasn't made online, admitted their agent did not accompany them, so they didn't have a way to reschedule, and they were told to just go in alone.

These were nice buyers and all likely would have been ok, but I'm appalled at the lack of understanding of liability that the Buyer Agent unilaterally decided to dump on the Sellers. Anything could have happened to the house during or after this showing. They could have damaged the house, turned on the oven and forgotten, set off the alarm...anything. A previous Buyer Agent had left (or allowed potential buyers to leave) the front door literally standing open and departed (thank God it is a safe area). It stood open until I could get there. It could have been much worse. I could have found someone had taken up residence after they left.

I realize some areas have the computerized locks which reduce or eliminate this, but where there are still locks and keys in use, are Agents out there sending Buyers alone to houses they do not own without consent of the Seller?

Never even got an apology for the blown off appointment from the Buyer's Agent, but he sure managed to be there on time to collect the check at closing. ;)

Be careful out there.

Comments (10)