SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
april_lorraine_gw

Your 2 cents on house plan, please? Finalizing next week!

April-Lorraine
12 years ago

Our builder and his architect have been working with us on these plans and we're hoping to finalize them next week. I would love to hear ANY feedback or thoughts. This will be the first and last house we build, so I’m getting nervous about getting it right!

The main floor is 2,300 sf; unfinished upstairs, 1,600 sf. The back and sides of the house overlook a large creek. We're surrounded by woods in a sort of valley. The back of the house is east facing; the kitchen side faces south.

Kids' bedrooms, bathrooms and hang-out space will be upstairs (will finish upstairs within the next 2 years). We have 2 preschool age kids and plan to have more, whom we will homeschool. For now, the Study is going to function as the kids' bedroom, my office and the homeschool room/ play room.

The basement is going to be an open space for now - no doors/ walls, just arches leading into an open patio-like area. (After we build out the upstairs, the basement will come next. Because of the grade, the basement will end up being 13-15 feet high.)

The Master bath is set up with a "Wet Room" - open shower and Japanese cedar soaking tub. We'll probably put only one (vessel) sink in the Master for increased cabinet space.

Also I should mention that this is a custom modular home, hence the 3 "boxes".

A few of my questions/ concerns:

- Too many windows? Enough wall space?

- River water, sand and clay/ mud around, and only one entry.

- 15-foot high basement with 9 ft and 10 ft ceilings on main and second floors - will it look funny?

- Enough storage spaces?

Comments (5)