SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

December 2019, Week 1

Well, I had typed out a long intro to December and the screen blinked and it disappeared before I cold post it. Grrr. I hate when that happens, as I rarely feel energetic enough to retype the whole thing again. So, here goes the briefer version.

Welcome to the first week of December. This autumn/winter is just flying by now, isn't it?

December garden chores include:

--Planting garlic if you have not already done so.

--Planting daffodil and hyacinth bulbs if you have them sitting around and haven't gotten around to planting them yet.

--Planting pre-chilled tulip and Dutch hyacinth bulbs any time after mid-December, preferably after they've had a minimum of 45 days of pre-chilling in the refrigerator, although I prefer 60 days to ensure they've received enough chilling hours.

--Gathering autumn leaves to use however you prefer to use them. I like to chop them up with the lawn mower and use them as mulch or just dump them (piles and piles of them) onto the big compost pile. If you have issues with even the chopped/shredded leaves blowing around and not staying where you put them, you can put them in black trash bags to contain them, wet them slightly (you want them damp, not wet and soggy), and poke some air holes in the black trash bags. Pile up the trash bags in an out-of-the-way location and the leaves in them will stay contained and will break down into compost or leaf mold by springtime.

--Corrective pruning of wayward limbs of trees or shrubs.

--Transplanting any dormant plants (trees, shrubs, perennials, etc.) that need to be moved to a new locations.

--Planting trees, shrubs, etc. while dormant if you have any that are waiting to go into the ground.

--Digging up Bermuda grass (after the soil dries out enough from recent rainfall) that has invaded beds.

--Broadcast sowing seeds of poppies or larkspur on top of garden beds now so they can get the cold scarification they need in order to germinate and grow well when Spring arrives.

Christmas type plants are available in stores now if you need to add something green or colorful to the interior of your house. I've seen poinsettias, tropical plants interplanted with poinsettias in the same pots, red-and-green succulents mixed together in holiday planters, rosemary pruned into Christmas tree-shaped topiaries, Christmas cactus (and Thanksgiving cactus---if you see them in bloom in stores now, those likely are the Thanksgiving cactus and not the Christmas cactus), and both amaryllis and paperwhites preplanted and growing in containers (which are slightly ahead of the related bulb kits you buy containing a bulb, compressed disk of-soil-less mix and a pot), and a few cyclamens (they are happier indoors in a very cool spot well away from a heating vent, by the way).

The CPC's 8-14 day outlook shows some nice December weather that might be warm enough to comfortably work outdoors if the mud dries up. After a cold November, it is nice to dream about possibly having some nice, warmer weather in December. Here it is:

8-14 Day Temperature Outlook

Have a great week everyone!

Dawn

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County