SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

October 2019, Week 1

Happy Septober! Does it feel like autumn yet? Maybe, kinda, sort, almost....and, perhaps, in a short while more typical autumn weather will arrive. At least for some people. (grin) Let's hope we are among them. Granted, we are ending September in cooler condition than we started it...with highs only going into the 90s and not the 100s, so that's a little bit of seasonal progress.

This is the week we say farewell to September, which at my end of the state (and probably for the whole state, but I'm not sure) will go down in the record books as the warmest September ever since records have been kept here. We also get to say a warm welcome to October, while hoping for the arrival of that most rare and perfect autumn weather....sunny, clear, blue skies, a glowing sun and mild temperatures. Right? If we are going to wish for some sort of autumn weather, let's wish for that kind. That was my favorite October weather as a kid growing up in Texas, but in recent years it has been harder and harder to have that kind of October weather here. I'm not wishing for cold weather---that will come in November or December, just milder weather.

Generally this is the time of the year that we gardeners can plant some cool-season plants that need cooler weather than what we are having in September---plants like pansies, violas, snapdragons, dianthus, stock, and ornamental cabbage and ornamental kale. Even lettuce from transplants could be planted now. I don't think the stores here near me have any of those, except lettuce and kale, in stock yet. Like me, they've been waiting for some signal from the weather that are high temperatures are not going to stay in the 90s forever and forever. I'll start watching for transplants of those cool-season bedding plants now, because I'd like to plant more dianthus (they tend to be perennial here, often coming back for up to a decade until a particularly hot or particularly cold or particularly dry spell finally gets them. They don't get really big in fall and winter, but they bloom, and then they put on a huge growth spurt in spring and bloom like crazy, providing ample early-season flowers for the butterflies and bees. I also hope to plant some dianthus and violas once they show up in the stores as I love having something green and in bloom for the bees when they come out in the winter, which they will do on almost any day that the daytime high exceeds 50 degrees.

This is a great time of the year to do garden clean-up, but let's talk about that for a minute. Like many people, I grew up in an era where the gardeners stripped their summer gardens and flower beds down to bare soil in the fall, generally leaving a wide expanse of bare soil. Some of them (generally the ones with a farming background) might have sowed a winter cover crop, but most left the ground bare and exposed, vulnerable to erosion. And, at the same time, stripping away the plants left no cover or food for birds, insects and other wildlife. Nowadays, like many others, I have changed my ways, and no longer strip the garden down to bare soil. I leave as many of the plants standing as I possibly can, and have discovered the birds in particular, take great delight in spending time in the garden amongst the spent plants, I can only assume they are finding seeds to eat, or perhaps hiding from the hawks, or hunting for overwintering insects. So, nowadays, I'll remove most spent veggie plants because I don't want to harbor disease and insect, but am careful to sow a cover crop or cover the bare ground with mulch. I leave flowering plants and herbs and their seedheads standing in the garden for the birds and other little critters. I do remove weeds because we certainly don't need weeds standing in the garden and dropping their seeds there all winter long.

This week I am going to take out some of the tired, spent zinnia plants that already have seeds dropping from dried flowerheads so I can weed those areas, and then come back in another couple of weeks (waiting for the soil and air temps to cool a tiny bit more) and sow larkspur and poppy seeds that will give us Spring blooms. I've already been spending time weeding out the crab grass, bindweed, morning glories and cypress vine plants that are sprouting and springing up everywhere and trying to climb existing plants of all kinds. I've left the tiny sprouting zinnia plants that are popping up, though I doubt they'll have time to mature and flower. Really, with all of October ahead of us, I guess they could get tall enough to bloom but the odds probably aren't in their favor in terms of being able to bloom for long.

While working in the garden yesterday, I observed that many, many summer flowers and herbs (and a few autumn-blooming ones) remain in bloom in the garden, among them these: autumn sage, hardy hibiscus, Texas hibiscus, pineapple sage, yellow bells (Tecoma stans), zinnias, cosmos, angelonia, butterflyweed, Texas hummingbird sage, salvia farinacea, morning glories, cypress vines, mina lobata vines, coral honeysuckle, trumpet creeper, dianthus, moss rose (some of these are going to seed now, so they won't be blooming much longer), jasmine, four o'clocks, tithonia (aka Mexican sunflower), daturas, meadow sage, lantana, celosia cristata 'Dracula', celosia plumosa, cannas, periwinkles, shrimp plant, Pride of Barbados (aka Mexican bird of Paradise) and gaura. The late-planted candletree plants (Senna alata, formerly Cassia alata) are the stars of the garden now, partly due to their height but also because of their glorious yellow blooms. They are host plants for sulphur butterflies, which are abundant here, so sometimes their foliage gets devoured but I am okay with that---it is why I plant them in the first place. The roselle hibiscus plants (I know we have around 15 of them scattered across three raised beds) are not blooming yet, but are budding and are covered with tons of buds. They are going to have a great season, assuming an early freeze doesn't sneak in (a laughable thought, given the current weather) and get them before they can produce usable calyces. Both the okra and pepper plants continue to flower and produce. Autumn tomatoes are flowering and setting a little fruit, but it is hard to guess whether it will have time to mature or not. Time will tell.

Out in the pastures, there's just the usual autumn blooms---goldenrod, helenium, asters, Maximilian's Sunflowers, a few other random native sunflowers, blue prairie sage and liatris. There's nothing new in the bunch---just the usual autumn wildflowers, but they are present in great abundance this year.

There's still a faint hint of yellow foliage among the mostly still green leaves of the persimmons and elms. Usually they are further along by now and it is looking a bit more like autumn, but I believe the recent late, heavy rainfall has been keeping many plants in a highly vegetative state with lots of new growth that may be slowing down their autumn transition a bit. Most all of the native grasses have gone to seed now and the fields look spectacular with their seedheads waving in the wind.

Other garden chores we could be doing right now? In addition to whatever garden cleanup is needed, we could be addeing compost to beds, or new layers of mulch in places where it has thinned out. Maybe we should be mowing our lawns, and tidying up all the edges with our string trimmers. We can be feeding our compost piles, though they'll get more food later when the leaves fall. This is a good time to dig and divide spring and early summer-blooming perennials like daylilies, coneflowers, irises and Shasta daisies. It is time to be buying spring-blooming bulbs to plant....I try to get them planted well before Christmas. Good ones for our area include grape hyacinths, daffodils (and the closely related jonquils and narcissus) and summer snowflakes. By now, both Dutch hyacinth and tulip bulbs should be the fridge pre-chilling to ensure their chilling requirements are met since our winter weather doesn't always guarantee that will happen naturally.

For anyone who wants to overseed a lawn with rye grass or clover, or sow cover crop seeds of any kind into garden beds, this is the prime time to do that.

If you're noticing any errant tree or shrub limbs that are growing where they are in your way, now is a good time to do corrective pruning to remove those. A lot of people are having trouble with twig girdlers now. If you're seeing their damage, the way to deal with it is to gather up on the girdled twigs off the ground and burn them or dispose of them in the household trash. The larvae of next year's twig girdler beetles are in those cut twigs, so you get rid of a lot of next year's potential girdlers just by properly disposing of them. If you ignore the twigs and leave them lying on the ground, you're setting up your trees for more trouble with them next year.

Are y'all still seeing garden pests? I am not seeing much of anything pesty here, except for grasshoppers. Their population is smaller now than it was a month ago, but there's still far too many of them devouring garden plants. Oh, and mosquitoes are simply everywhere. Hate them. We have lots of the good guys too---plenty of bees and other pollinators, butterflies, dragonflies, hummingbirds and song birds. Spider webs are everywhere and it is a real challenge to walk outdoors in the morning and run right into the new ones that popped up overnight. It is a really great spider year.

Our porch has its own little mascot---a fat, green tree frog who sits on top of one of the hummingbird feeders, hoping to snag some of the small insects that try to come to the feeder to eat. The hummingbirds don't seem to mind this little frog's presence--he is out there day and night. They just buzz past him, eat and go on their way.

This weekend we've been busy painting the house, so not much gardening has been going on, but I still try to go to the garden for an hour or two to harvest, weed and deadhead plants. I also try to use food daily from the garden. All too soon, the 2019 veggie garden will be history and so will its fresh food, though we'll still have the preserved food we've put up this year.

That's all I can think of for this week. Oh, wait, the weather. Our forecast for Thursday through Saturday fluctuates constantly, so it seems the models still don't agree, and we are less likely to get much of a cool-down in southcentral OK, though I think some of you further north have a higher chance of having some mild autumn weather.

Normally (who knows if this autumn will be normal), we start seeing migrating monarchs during the first week of October. I've been wondering if they will be slower to head south since the weather has been so warm. On the other hand, maybe they are waiting to head south in a few days so they can ride the cool front as it pushes south. We are seeing monarchs in the yard and garden daily, and generally they are moving south/southwest as they nectar, but it is impossible to tell if they are migrating, or if they are just hanging around eating as they prepare to migrate. It seems to me that more hummingbirds have stuck around deeper into autumn than usual, but why wouldn't they when the weather has been so warm and the flowers are so abundant. I just hope none of them stick around too long and run the risk of the eventual arrival of cold weather catching up with them.

What's new with y'all? What's blooming around you? Are you seeing birds, hummers, butterflies, bees and migrating monarchs? What's happening in your yards, your gardens and the surrounding area? I'm hoping we all have lovely things happening around us since the weather is so much nicer now than it was a month ago.

Dawn

Comments (31)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery