SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

February 2019, Week 1, Let The Gardening Begin.....

Here it is. The long awaited first full week of February. Of course, we are starting out really warm which will give everyone planting fever, but then the next big cold front rolls in before the end of the week. Of course it does. It seems like we are on a temperature roller coaster in 2019 with alternating periods of warmth and cold. In a way that is cold, as the regular reappearance of cold temperatures may be able to keep the fruit trees from blooming too early because of the warm temperatures.

Per the OSU Garden Planning Guide, the time to put the first cool-season crops in the ground rolls around next week, so this could be a week in which a person, at least in southern OK, might be getting ready to plant onions, potatoes, etc. before too many more days pass. I hope to get the planting beds ready for cool-season crops this week, but won't do any planting until the following week at the earliest. I do have my seed potatoes sitting in a cool, dark place but I don't think they're sprouting eyes yet. I haven't chitted them. It still seems a touch too early.

I have noticed that the stores down here have everything a gardener could want now, except for warm-season transplants and, of course, it is too early for them. I'll try to list what I saw at Lowe's, and I am sure Home Depot has the same things because you'll see the Bonnie Plants truck go straight from one store to the other. Wal-Mart also tends to get the exact same plants on the very same days as those two. So, today I saw lettuce (about 6 varieties including Romaine, Red Sails and some sort of green leaf lettuce, cabbage (3 or 4 varieties and I doubt I remember all three but one was a red variety, one was Early Dutch Flat, one was a savoy type, and the other was that really early one that they call 42-day or 45-day cabbage, whichever one that is. They had two kinds of broccoli--Lieutenant and Artworks. They had a couple of kinds of kale. I remember seeing curly kale and lacinato. They had at least one variety each of brussels sprouts and cauliflower. They had big crates of bundled onion plants and the bundles looked extremely overpacked. I noticed that they had a sweet red, a sweet yellow and a sweet white onion variety. There could have been more. I didn't look that closely. In the herb area they had Arp rosemary, some kind of lavender, flat-leaf parsley, chives (a ton of tiny, thin plants in each pot), and a couple of other cooler-season herbs that I don't remember now. For flowers, they had flats of pansies, small pots of primroses and some cool-season perennials in bloom as well as a small section of ground covers like sedum. Oh, and they had fruit trees and packaged bulbs, rose bushes, seed racks and growing supplies. It is almost enough to cause a person to have spring fever.

Sam's Club in Denton had big netting bags of various bulbs including crinum lilies and gladiolus (a red, white and blue (purple) mix) and boxed/bagged perennials or tender annuals like daylilies, caladiums (probably the only annual they had), peonies, bleeding hearts, lilies of the valley, lilies, etc.

At our house the bees have been out and are gorging on the corn dust in/with the doves' cracked corn. We have six goldfinch feeders and I have to fill them daily as we have several hundred goldfinches feeding here. We are going through 25 lbs. of thistle seed per week trying to keep them fed. Usually in early to mid-February, just when I think that feeding them is going to break the bank, they abruptly head north and that's that for the winter. We have the fattest cardinals and blue jays you've ever seen. I'm seeing more and more lady bugs out and about. I am not sure what they are finding to eat.

We had an owl adventure last night. Tim got home early and we went out to eat dinner well before dark. By the time we were arriving back home it was just getting dark and we were in a hurry to get to the chicken coop and close it up before the bobcats and coyotes discovered the door was open. (The chickens refused to go up into the coop before we left to go eat dinner.) Anyhow, as we are coming up the driveway, a large barn owl lands in the driveway, directly in the middle of it, right beside the garden and just sits there staring at our vehicle. Tim had to get out and chase him off and even then he didn't want to leave. We were, in essence, playing a game of chicken with an owl. This is what passes for entertainment out here in the boonies. When the owl took off flying, he headed straight towards the chicken coop. Uh oh. We hurried up the driveway and Tim once again hopped out of the vehicle, and by now it was dark. He didn't even see where the owl had landed until he got close to it. The owl was sitting there at the chicken coop door. He took off as Tim approached. Tim turned on his flashlight and checked on the chickens and they were fine. I'm glad we got home before that owl got into the coop. We have had that happen before and it was not pretty. The cat was sitting by the back door but refused to come in. I warned her about the owl, but it was another 3 hours before she decided to come in.

There's nothing new blooming in our yard or garden---just the same things as before: dianthus in the garden and dandelions and chickweed in the yard.

I am starting a lot of seeds on Super Bowl Sunday, as is tradition here. Between that and working to clean up the front garden on the remaining pretty days this week, I should stay pretty busy with gardening type activities until the cold front comes in. I believe here in our county that is not expected to happen until Thursday. We will enjoy having high temps in the 70s until the cold front shows up.

My major concern for this week is that those warm daytime highs will push the fruit trees to bloom too early. It happens here a lot, and there's not much you can do to prevent it. Oh, and then of course, we have to watch for snakes to be out because here in southern OK we already have had at least copperheads out back in January's warm spell. It is so wrong to have this happening, but it has become a regular occurrence during these last few winters. I'd say it goes back 3 or 4 years. It used to be that we were pretty much snake free from late October until March or April, but that hasn't been so true in recent years.

What's up with y'all? What is everyone doing now to prepare for planting season?

Dawn

Comments (62)