SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

June 2019, Week 1

In case anybody missed it, meteorological summer began on June 1st, so Happy Summer!

In a lot of ways I feel like we barely had spring at all because we spent so much of it indoors waiting for the rain to stop, waiting for the standing water to recede, waiting for the mud to dry up, etc. It feels crazy to me that it suddenly is summer and I keep wondering where spring went. I guess it went by in a blur of rain, mud, flooding, squishy ground and mosquitoes. Oh, and ants. Ants climbing anywhere and everywhere to get out of and off of the wet ground.

The heat has arrived down here, so I'll tell y'all now that if the heat really hasn't rolled in further north, get ready because it is coming. If you get the rain that is in the forecast for this week, you might stay a little cooler. The rain's been missing us, so we've been getting pretty warm.

Now that June is here, it is summer, so we can go ahead and plant the true heat-loving summer color plants that don't like cool soil or cool nights. This includes angelonia (I just bought some pink ones and some purple ones), pentas, moss rose, purslane, tropical hibiscus and trailing lantanas. Of all of those, pentas (though I do love them) are the ones I'm least likely to plant because the tersa sphinx moth caterpillars eat them back to the ground in the blink of an eye. I don't have a big enough budget to supply all the tersa sphinx cats in southern OK with all the pentas they can eat. Oh, and let's not forget the foliage plants like ornamental sweet potatoes, caladiums, elephant ears, and banana trees.

Other June yard and garden chores? Well, let's see.....we can do corrective pruning of shrubs and trees, if needed. Lawns need to be mowed and, I am told, fertilized. Although, to be honest, we never fertilize our bermuda grass because I just don't see any reason to do it. Why would anyone want to make that devil grass grow even more quickly than it already does? There's always weeding, and also, weeding, weeding, weeding, weeding and weeding. If rain isn't falling (this comment is directed mostly at me), be sure to water the container plants because they are not staying endlessly wet like the ground has been. Remember to harvest stuff. Mostly we are harvesting tomatoes, but there's also been Swiss chard, broccoli, cabbage, lettuce, sugar snap peas (though I just removed the plants), onions here and there for cooking, though the main crop isn't ready to harvest yet, and herbs. I'd say the 1015Ys are getting close. They are falling over but the foliage isn't turning tan/brown/yellow yet. A couple of days ago I noticed 1 red onion had bolted and today there is a second. All the onions are so small that they hardly were worth planting, and a few of them rotted, even though they were growing in raised beds. It is just one of those years. We have jalapeno peppers ready to harvest, but I haven't taken the time to harvest them yet. Only one is beginning to cork, so I have a few more days before I have to harvest them.

Watch out for pests. The main pest I'm seeing is tons of caterpillars of all kinds. I have been finding and killing cutworms while transplanting herbs and flowers into the garden the last few days. There's also still a lot of armyworms. At least I am finding and killing a lot of very small ones. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. I guess it is good I'm finding them before they devour everything in the garden, but the fact that I'm finding babies now means we're already on at least our second generation of the spring/summer. I am seeing a lot of cabbage loopers who seem confused---now that the broccoli and cabbage have been harvested, they cannot figure out where to go or what to do. I help them out by killing each one I see. Earlier we had tent caterpillars in the fruit and nut trees. I haven't seen any fall webworms yet (they don't necessarily wait until fall to show up). I'm seeing tons of little grasshoppers suddenly and am not happy about them. Spider mites are beginning to show up, especially on bean plants. I don't have any aphids in the garden that I have seen, but saw a lot of them on a native western ironweed plant growing near the garden fenceline. Every raised bed seems to have fire ants in it. I just try to ignore them and leave them alone. It isn't a bad year, yet, for squash pests or cucumber beetles. Probably I don't have enough cucurbits to attract them and I'm okay with that. I've found and killed 1 squash bug, 2 or 3 leaf-footed bugs, and quite a few green stink bugs but not the brown stink bugs yet. There's tons of good bugs too--ground beetles, lady bugs, assassin bugs, lacewings, an dragonflies, to name a few. There's plenty of bees of all kinds and a lot of butterflies and moths, and not too many wasps or hornets yet.

That's all I can think of.

Oh, the rain. There's a lot of rain in the forecast this week. Hopefully it won't be enough to kick off another big round of flooding. Here's the 7-day QPF. Read it and weep. Unless you're me, and then you can read it and laugh because you know that no matter how much rain the QPF predicts, it is going to go all around you and miss you. That's the trend down here, and with the onset of hot weather, it is not necessarily a welcome trend.

7-Day QPF

The one-month rainfall outlook shows the odds are high for above-average rainfall this month.

June Rainfall Outlook

I don't know what else Mother Nature can throw at us, weather-wise, that we haven't already had this year. Well, maybe a hurricane. There's always that. Luckily, we rarely get one here (grin), but there was Tropical Storm Erin, in 2007, who held her circulation together as she crossed over Texas, and still was circulating/rotating as she passed over Oklahoma as a Tropical Depression, dropping a lot of rain in some places and causing some flooding.

Based on the June Rainfall Outlook and the 7-day QPF, here's more gardening tasks for all of us: watching it rain, scurrying around to get garden tasks done before it rains, stomping our way through the mud and puddles to reach our gardens, listening to the thunder, watching the lightning safely from indoors while wishing it would go away so we can go outdoors, checking the radar to see if it ever is going to stop raining, checking the rain gauges to see how much rain fell, and listening to the meteorologists tell us how much rain fell, how much more rain is coming, etc.

Happy June, everyone. Let's hope for some sunshine.

Dawn

Comments (28)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths