SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

July 2019, Week 1

Happy July! Well, beginning at midnight anyway. Isn't it hard to believe the calendar year is almost half over?

We and our plants (okay, most plants....) have survived everything the weather and climate have thrown at us so far this year. Let's see how we do now that Mother Nature is throwing sunlight and heat at us instead of billions of rain drops.

Garden chores for this month? Hmmm. This is the month it becomes all about survival, so I'll list my gardening chores: watering, harvesting, watering, deadheading, watering, weeding, watering, succession planting, watering, pruning, watering, mulching, watering, mowing, and...watering. There. I think that just about covered it all. Oh, for the gardener....hydrating, hydrating, hydrating, and frequent trips indoors, or at least into the shade, to cool off and recharge before returning to the heat and sunshine in the garden. I won't even go into all those post-harvest gardening chores like processing the harvest, cooking it as needed, eating it, preserving it, and feeding the scraps to the compost pile, but they are an essential part of edible gardening too. Summer often is the point where time in the garden is reducing by the necessity of spending more time in the kitchen with the harvest.

July is also a good time to reflect on the gardening year so far, to think about what has worked out well, what hasn't, and to make plans to sow seeds for fall garden crops (if growing transplants indoors), or to take tomato plant cuttings to root for fresh plants for fall, or to order seeds for fall and winter plants if you need any of those. As odd as it seems in light of the extreme heat of summer, it is time to start planning and planting for fall.

Snake encounters are becoming more frequent now. I jokingly told Tim this morning that I'm up to about one snake-induced heart attack per day now. That means it is time for me to back off on weeding and other gardening chores that put my hands and feed too close to danger. From this point forward, it will be more about watering, harvesting and deadheading and less about weeding...especially in area where the plants are so thick that you cannot see if a snake lies beneath or among them. Mosquitoes do not seem as bad as they have been, and perhaps the fact that the heavier rains stopped here about a month ago account for that. We still have them, but not like we had been before. We do have purple martins (two housefuls of them), bats, lots of wild birds and tons of dragonflies out daily, so I feel like they probably are eating a lot of the mosquitoes. The fly population still is huge and very annoying, but then we live in ranch country, so of course there's always far too many flies around. We stay busy killing them!

Since the rain has largely stopped falling, we are spending only about half as much time mowing. Hooray!

I took out every other bean plant from one row on Friday, choosing to pull the ones that really weren't setting many new beans. I stripped all the usable beans from those plants and brought the beans inside to process, and threw the plants on the compost pile. I remember older relatives and neighborhood gardeners harvesting their beans and southern peas differently long ago from how I do it today. I try to harvest beans all along, keeping the plants well-picked so they'll keep setting new beans and peas as opposed to yanking out a whole role of bush beans, for example, throwing them into the wheelbarrow and wheeling them up to the porch, where everyone could sit and pull all the beans off the plants in one fell swoop. The result from that method was a whole lot of beans at once, so we'd sit and string and snap beans or southern peas for hours and hours on hot summer evenings, and then somebody had to can or blanch/freeze most of them right away because it was a lot more beans or peas than we could eat all at once. I think I much prefer the way I do it today which keeps the harvests more manageable and spread out over 4-6 weeks instead of being compressed into a day or two.

I have flowers growing right beside the bean plants because those flowers are supposed to take over the beans' space when the beans are done. The main issue is that the beans are falling over on top of the flowers and burying them beneath all that bean foliage, so by thinning out the bean plants (I always plant too many, too close together, because that is what I do), I opened up a little free air space and light space for the succession plants, which mostly are nasturtiums (some already in bloom), zinnias, angelonia, cleome (beginning to bloom), Texas hummingbird sage (largely volunteers from last year's plants) and cosmos. Oh, and dill. There's a ton of dill plants there for the swallowtails. With half of that row of beans gone, you'd think we might be running out of beans if you didn't know that the half row that is left still is producing pretty heavily, especially the Royalty Purple beans, and then the second row of beans has 4 varieties in it, and those are largely just beginning to produce heavily now. There's no succession flowers planted with them at this point, just okra plants and dill. More dill for more butterflies. The succession plants for that bean row were just potted up to 16 oz. styrofoam cups so they can grow on for another week or two before I plant them.

The tomato plants that still are in the garden remain very productive. I'm over it. We have completely overdosed on tomatoes. Not unhappy to have them, but almost reaching that can't-bear-to-eat-another-tomato stage. One of these years my goal is to be a normal gardener and to only plant 4-6 plants, or maybe only 3 plants, and to never reach the tomato overdose stage. It isn't happening this year though. I have a lovely recipe for tomato pie from Southern Living magazine and may make one of those for July 4th. It depends on how much time the girls are here at the house this week. They are returning from their dads' houses tonight and tomorrow, and we're excited about having them around more again. The more time they spend here, the less time the garden and tomatoes will get from me, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Caterpillars fill the garden now, and I'm happy to see them all. Just from looking at all our butterfly host plants, I'd say that this is a really terrific year for swallowtails, monarchs, checkerspots, American Ladies, and Painted Ladies. I do tend to worry that we'll run out of host plants. There's not as many sulphurs as usual, but I'm starting to see some small ones. There usually is a huge population of them here, so I just think they've been a little late, largely because their native host plants seemed to sprout and grow a little late this year.

The garden has been overrun with stink bugs and grasshoppers in particular this year, but more and more assassin bugs and wheel bugs are showing up, along with the always plentiful lady bugs and a decent number of green lacewings, so I think the tide will begin to turn on the stink bugs soon.

It's beginning to sound a lot like Independence Day around here, and not in a good way. One bad thing about living out in the country where there's no rules against setting off fireworks is that everyone here goes bonkers and starts setting off fireworks a week or more before the Fourth of July. Really? I keep hearing odd muffled sounds last night and told Tim I thought that there was a possum or coon banging around on the porch, running into patio furniture and plants and such, so he went out to investigate. Nope, those odd muffled sounds that I could hear indoors? Just the sounds of distant (and not-so-distant) fireworks exploding all around us. I knew there was a reason that our nervous dog, Jersey, was a wreck and was hanging out right at Tim's side in his office but I thought it was because she was frightened by earlier gunshots (snake-killing) that she had heard. Nope. Her ears likely were picking up on the fireworks long before ours were. None of the dogs and cats like the sounds of fireworks, but Jersey is the most sensitive and the one most upset by them. She thoroughly hates them. We always keep all our animals indoors as much as possible for the 8-10 days surrounding July 4th here because the fireworks are going off nonstop.

Tim is out mowing in the heat. I ought to be doing something productive out there too, but it is so hot. I am about to go out and refill the hummingbird feeders. I made the nectar a couple of hours ago and have been waiting for it to cool. We have seven feeders, so taking them all day, cleaning them and refilling them takes a while. I guess I'll go do that now.

Have a great week everyone.

Dawn

Comments (30)