SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

July 2019, Week 4

This is the week we've been waiting for....with a brief cool-down in the weather expected to give us some relief from both the high temperatures and high dewpoints. Enjoy it while it lasts because August is just around the corner!

If the cooler weather makes any (or all) of us inclined to squeeze in some work in the garden, please watch for venomous snakes. They really seem to ramp up their activity, at least in our area, in July and August.

Gardening chores for late July include, as always, irrigation if there is a lack of rainfall, weeding, harvesting, deadheading flowering plants, scouting for pests and the never-ending mowing of the lawn. Watch for crape myrtle bark scale as many people are reporting it on their plants now. If your annual flowers in pots are looking tired and worn out, I've noticed the stores here still have some nice-sized annual color plants that a person could pop into those containers as replacements. You might not find much at a big box store depending on how early it clears out its plant merchandise, but nurseries still have a nice stock of plants.

Succession planting can continue in the summer garden, with now being the time to continue planting warm-season plants for the fall garden while also raising cool-season transplants that can go into the ground in a few weeks.

If you're admiring crape myrtles in bloom, now is the perfect time to find the color you want as most of the ones in stores in pots are blooming as well.

I suppose if anyone here strives to have a green lawn in the middle of the summer, it probably needs irrigation to maintain that greenness now. If any of your plants are not growing as well as you like, perhaps they need a good feeding. It seems to me that the heavy rain has been leaching nitrogen out of a lot of people's soil.

July is peak pest season, so watch for the ones that do massive damage---like bagworms, blister beetles (if present in large numbers, otherwise they are beneficial as they eat grasshopper eggs), stink bugs, leaf-footed bugs, leaf-footed bugs, squash vine borers and grasshoppers (the more you are seeing, the more damage you'll see, but I'm not seeing enough hopper damage to concern me, though there is a lot of damage....it is just typical July damage though). Some pests, like spider mites and grasshoppers, seem to peak naturally in July here in my garden and then their population slowly falls, but the stink bugs, leaf-footed bugs, squash bugs and blister beetles just keep on keeping on, and those need to be controlled as much as possible so that you aren't leaving a lot of them this fall to overwinter and get off to an early start in your garden next year.

There's nothing much new to report from our garden. The trumpet creeper vines we have in several different locations are in about their 3rd or 4th week of full bloom, and the hummingbirds visit them like crazy all day long. Most flowers are blooming heavily now. The cosmos transplanted into the ground in June to replace vegetable plants have started blooming now, and the violet cleome is on the wrong side of the garden---the north end where it kinda gets lost against the heavy green of the woodland outside the fence. Next year I'll plant white ones there and have the violet ones closer to the south side of the garden. The cockscomb 'Dracula' plants are just beginning to form their flower heads and are a lovely dark contrast to lighter, brighter flowers around them. Dracula is the darkest celosia cristata I've ever grown, and the leaves aren't even as dark yet as they will be later on since the plant still is making a lot of fresh vegetative largely green growth that will darken as it matures. The dill is in full bloom and being visited by oodles of teeny-tiny pollinators, but the down side is that after it finishes making seed, it will die back. That's okay though, as we have lots of parsley and fennel for the swallowtails to enjoy after the dill is gone. I just let the dill go to seed in place, so that we'll have plenty of dill plants pop up next season. I had cut back the comfrey almost to the ground a while back as all the rain had turned the plants into huge monsters, and now they are back in bloom at only about half the size they were before, and the bumblebees are happy to have their favorite flowers back again. The zinnias still are the stars of the garden, but the verbena bonariensis and yellow butterfly weed look pretty spectacular right now as well.

There's nothing much new to report from our garden. The trumpet creeper vines we have in several different locations are in about their 3rd or 4th week of full bloom, and the hummingbirds visit them like crazy all day long. Most flowers are blooming heavily now. The cosmos transplanted into the ground in June to replace vegetable plants have started blooming now, and the violet cleome is on the wrong side of the garden---the north end where it kinda gets lost against the heavy green of the woodland outside the fence. Next year I'll plant white ones there and have the violet ones closer to the south side of the garden. The cockscomb 'Dracula' plants are just beginning to form their flower heads and are a lovely dark contrast to lighter, brighter flowers around them. Dracula is the darkest celosia cristata I've ever grown, and the leaves aren't even as dark yet as they will be later on since the plant still is making a lot of fresh vegetative largely green growth that will darken as it matures. The dill is in full bloom and being visited by oodles of teeny-tiny pollinators, but the down side is that after it finishes making seed, it will die back. That's okay though, as we have lots of parsley and fennel for the swallowtails to enjoy after the dill is gone. I just let the dill go to seed in place, so that we'll have plenty of dill plants pop up next season. I had cut back the comfrey almost to the ground a while back as all the rain had turned the plants into huge monsters, and now they are back in bloom at only about half the size they were before, and the bumblebees are happy to have their favorite flowers back again. The zinnias still are the stars of the garden, but the verbena bonariensis and yellow butterfly weed look pretty spectacular right now as well.

I hope to have time the next few days to at least deadhead, harvest and weed in the garden, but time will tell. Between mom being in hospice and our fire calls increasing significantly over the last couple of weeks, my time and schedule are not necessarily my own at this point. Any time spent in the garden will be wonderful time though since we seldom get this cooler weather in July. It looks like parts of OK get the cooler weather Monday, but now they have pushed back its arrival down here to Tuesday.

Have a great week everybody.

Dawn

Comments (36)