SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

October 2019, Week 4

Time marches on and now we're beginning the final third of this month. It is amazing how time marches on.

This week starts out warm and then will end up cooler by around Thursday and Friday. Today, though, there is a chance for rain and storms as the cold front pushes through. Depending on where you live in the state, you may find yourself in the Slight, Moderate or Enhanced Risk area for severe weather later today. Here's the latest update of the Storm Prediction Center's Convective Outlook showing the risk areas on the map and the risks are detailed in the accompanying text.

Convective Outlook - Day 1

The weather should be pretty decent for working outdoors so tell us what you're doing today or planning to do this week in your garden.

In general, October is a great time to squeeze in a late sowing of winter cover crops or to overseed a lawn with winter rye grass if you wish to do so but haven't managed to find the time to do so yet.

Any time from this point forward is a good time to plant garlic.

In your ornamental beds, if you need to divide spring-flowering perennials, now is a good time to do that. It also is a great time to sow seeds of spring bloomers like larkspur and poppies, as well as a good time to sow most wildflower seeds. The seeds that sprout over the next few weeks generally remain all winter as rosettes of leaves very close to the ground, but do not be deceived---as long as the soil temperatures are above approximately 40 degrees, the roots are growing. Once soil temperatures drop below 40 and stay there, root growth stops but the roots will be ready to resume growth once the soil temperatures warm up again. This is one reason we like to plant in the fall---to give those roots a chance to grow and get a head start for next spring, which will help them to become more well-established before the summer heat arrives. We often plant trees, shrubs, vines, ground covers and perennials in the fall for exactly the same reason.

If you have daffodils or hyacinths to plant, you can do that now. However, your tulips bulbs and Dutch hyacinths need to be pre-chilled in the refrigerator at or below 45 degrees (but above freezing) for at least 60 days prior to planting. This ensures they get enough chill hours to bloom properly in Spring.

If you can find cool-season bedding plants in the stores (dianthus, ornamental cabbage, ornamental kale, snapdragons, pansies, stock, violas, etc.), now it a great time to plant them.

Are y'all still mowing? We are, but not as often as we were in September. I also did a little corrective pruning yesterday of some shrubs branches that were sticking out into our walking path. I don't know why I bothered, except they were irritating me. These shrubs are due to be replaced when we re-do the landscaping in the Spring, and it wouldn't bother me if Tim took the chainsaw and cut them down to the ground now. I am ready for them to go....out with the old, and in with the new.

We don't have enough leaves falling to rake yet, but I might rake the ones that are falling around the chicken coop. They are pecan leaves that were damaged by the hard freeze 2 weeks ago, which made them just turn brown and fall without turning their usual pretty yellow autumn color. It worries me to have those leaves on the ground where we walk when it still is warm enough for snakes to be out.

Gotta go! Grands are here!

Dawn

Comments (40)