SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

May 2019, Week 4

How is it possible we are starting the 4th week of May already? This month has flown by in a blur of rain, clouds, wind, hail, floods, etc. It is hard to believe that the upcoming weekend will be Memorial Day weekend. I cannot help thinking that even if we get some sunny weather later this week, the lakes and marinas still will be too inundated with runoff to be really operational, and it seems like a lot of folks who normally spend the holiday weekend at the lake may have to make alternate plans this year.

Amidst all the rain and storms, there is good news. Our soil temperatures are finally warming up though it has taken long enough. The soil at our place was hitting close to 80 degrees on those sunny days. At the soil temperatures we're seeing now across the state (except maybe the panhandle?), all warm-season plants and seeds can be planted, including the seeds of southern peas, winter squash, okra, melons, etc. I wasn't sure if everyone's soil temperatures was as nice as ours are down here, so I checked the map. Here it is:

Three Day Average Soil Temperatures @ 4" Below Bare Soil

Even the pickiest of the hot-season annuals won't mind being transplanted into soils at these temperatures (except for those panhandle areas). I'm talking about annuals like periwinkles, pentas, angelonias, caladiums, etc.

If you can keep rain from washing away grass seed (our son is growing some lovely grass on his now dirt-covered sidewalk that sits below the retaining wall he is about to replace, but he is treating it as sod...lifting it up by the shovelful, dirt and new grass and all, and putting it back on the ground above the retaining wall), it is a great time to seed in new lawn areas, or even to plant plugs or lay sod. Normally, establishing new lawn takes daily watering in the beginning, but I'm thinking Mother Nature has that part mostly covered this year.

There's still tons of plants in the nurseries here (and I have noticed that even the big box stores down here do not rush to put plants on clearance here like they seem to do further north), so a person still can find a lovely selection of all kinds of plants to transplant into the ground, including shrubs, vines, ground covers, perennials and annuals. The bigger issue might be whether it is too wet to plant. I've been buying things I want when I see them, and then holding them in their containers until the ground dries out enough for them.

Be on the lookout for:

---fungal and bacterial infections on plants, particularly foliage. They're always so much more worse in wet years.

---major garden pests in the true bug category that are hard to control: potato bugs, squash bugs, stink bugs (both green and brown) and leaf-footed bugs.

---signs of Rose Rosette Disease on your roses. Infected plants need to be removed promptly so the mites that carry the disease cannot spread to other plants, but always get someone else to confirm you are seeing RRD because new growth on some types of roses looks remarkably similar to RRD

---grasshoppers. Although they are a couple of months late, some small nymphs are hatching out here now. I am not seeing them in large enough numbers that I'd bother putting out Nolo Bait or Semaspore to control them though.

---chiggers. Late May is when they normally show up here, and they seem to always catch us by surprise. I expect they will be really bad this year, especially in any area not being mowed regularly because they love that tall grass.

---fruit tree diseases and pests.

---scale on plants, especially the Crape Myrtle Bark scale (but also watch for lady bugs to show up to eat it).

Don't forget that if pruning is needed, now is a great time to do certain types of it.

--Spring-flowering shrubs can be pruned after they've finished blooming.

--Deadhead your roses, daylilies and other plants as their blooms fade.

--Use your fingers to tip-prune plants that tend to get too tall and lanky too early in the season, like coleus, mums, copper plants and Mexican bush sage

Monday's weather is a huge concern, with the risk of severe weather currently being quite high for much of the state. Be sure to stay weather aware.

Enjoy today---at least we get to start out the week with sunshine.

Dawn

Comments (40)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting