SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

October 2018, Week 1

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Good Morning, Y'all.

Let's bid farewell to our lovely cool, rainy September and say hello to October this week! Oh, and I know September didn't start out lovely, cool and rainy but at least it got around to the cool and rainy part for most of us eventually.

There's that old saying "it takes a flood to end a drought" and the longer I live and garden here in Oklahoma, the more I believe it is true. For many of us who were in various stages of drought at various points here in the Sooner state, September's often-flooding rainfalls did indeed finally bring drought relief. So, hooray for that, and our plants are mostly grateful for the huge influx of moisture, unless the heavy rain killed them, that it.

Instead of posting a map that shows in inches how much rain each area received in September, I thought I'd post the one that compares September 2018 rainfall to average rainfall. So, here it is:

30-Day Rainfall As Compared to Normal

And, for anyone wondering how much drought improved, here's the latest U. S .Drought Monitor map. Just look at how much OK improved as flooding rains killed the drought in many areas and pushed it down to lower categories in other areas:

U. S. Drought Monitor

Since this map reflects only rainfall received by 7 a.m. on Tuesday, I think we'll see further improvement perhaps on next week's map for parts of SW OK who received good rainfall after the 7 a.m. cutoff time last week.

Farewell to September, the snakes (I hope) and the grasshoppers!

Hello to October. Well, we still have the snakes, and on warm days they'll still be out and about, but as the nights cool, they become more of a threat on concrete and gravel areas. You'll often encounter snakes, including venomous ones, lying on concrete, asphalt, tarmac and gravel trying to soak up heat that these surfaces accumulate during the day. In our neighborhood, as we moved from September into October, the times we're most likely to encounter snakes now will be early morning and early evening. I am more careful than usual walking on hard paved surfaces and on our gravel driveway at this time of the year because it is so much more common to encounter snakes, especially copperheads, soaking up some heat. I hope the grasshopper numbers continue falling and quickly because we still have a lot of them. Usually by now the population is much lower, but the prolonged drought and heat seemed to have encouraged them to stick around later than usual. It is the mosquitoes that are so awful now.

Are y'all still seeing hummingbirds in your gardens or visiting your feeders? We have had a lot lately after our regular summer-long residents left a couple of weeks ago, so I can tell a new wave of migrants is coming through. Often, they stop and feed heavily for a day or two before continuing their journey. I assume they've learned to feed heavily when they do find food because they don't know how much they'll find or how easily it might be to find it as they journey further south. While activity is high at the feeders, there's still a lot of hummingbird activity in the garden too---the trumpet creeper vines still are blooming and the birds love those, and the coral honeysuckle is putting out a new flush of blossoms following the recent rainfall. We also still have lots of salvias in bloom for them in the garden. The hummingbirds are the main reason I plant so much salvia in the first place.

There's tons of butterflies out, especially on sunny days which have been rare lately. Even the persistent fog, mist and coolness of the last week hasn't totally deterred them, and sometimes the sun finally breaks through the clouds and gives us an hour or two of sunlight in the afternoon---and when that happens, the butterflies come out of nowhere. Monarchs clearly are migrating now and I love watching them wing their way south.

In the garden, I have begun clean-up slowly, carefully keeping an eye open for snakes and not sticking my hand into any area in a bed where I cannot see through the plants clearly enough to know for sure that it is snake-free. Mostly I've been removing invasive vines that have sprouted and are growing like mad since it rained---mostly morning glories and cypress vines but also some bindweed as well. I've also seen a lot of zinnias give up and die after being hit by 8" of rain in a couple of weeks' time, so I've been pulling out all the dead and dying ones. I've also been removing any annuals that are developing moisture-related diseases like fungal and bacterial stuff in the persistently cloudy, foggy, misty and cooler weather. I try to leave any plants that aren't sick and that are going to seed so (a) they can reseed and give us volunteers next year and (b) the wild things can feed on them or shelter in them if they so desire. I used to do a big garden clean up each fall, but increasingly I leave a lot of plants standing to shelter and feed the wild things into the winter months. I cannot expect beneficial insects to stick around and overwinter if I strip their garden ecosystem of the protection they need to survive the cool and cold weather. Almost all my spring-planted moss rose has gone to seed and no longer is blooming, but I'll leave those plants where they are until frost so they can reseed and so that beneficials can shelter in or beneath their succulent leaves.

Garden tasks? It isn't too late in southern OK to sow mustard and spinach seeds, or to plant kale (ornamental or regular edible types) from transplants. Cool-season flowers can be planted now if you can find them in stores. It might still be a little hot for that here as we're expecting highs this week in the mid-80s, but I'm thinking that those of you further north should be planting them now if you intend to do so. I'll just be a week or two or three behind y'all depending on what the weather does.

You can plant garlic now...or any time thereafter. I like to wait until our soils cool down more down here, so maybe in October or early November. I might plant earlier this year if it seems like the cold is coming early. Choose well-drained locations in case we have a cold, wet winter because cold, wet winters in poorly-drained soil locations can rot the garlic cloves in the ground.

This is the ideal time to be planting your spring-blooming bulbs if that is on your to-do list. Daffodils can be planted as soon as you buy them if you wish. Some folks prefer to chill them like we do tulips, but it isn't strictly required. Both tulips and Dutch hyacinths need a long period of chilling in a fridge to give them the cold temperatures they need in order to bloom. This is because we often don't get cold enough or stay cold long enough to meet their chilling requirements. When we lived in Texas, a few upscale retailers sold pre-chilled bulbs you could buy and plant immediately but I don't think I've seen any of those pre-chilled bulbs the last few years. Maybe I just haven't been looking, or haven't been paying attention to the nurseries' advertisements.

If your leaves start falling now and you start raking them, watch out for those copperheads and rattlesnakes!

I can definitely tell that elms and other trees whose leaves change color early now are in that change period---there's lots of yellow leaves, and some ugly brown ones as well. I wish we had more of the glorious reds and oranges they see in colder climates in the fall, but we just don't. Often, our native persimmons do have a lovely golden foliage color with hints of orange in it, but that is later in October---mine still are mostly green right now. Still, they usually are one of the next trees to show fall color after the elms do, so it shouldn't be long now.

The predominant color here still is brown--as in mud. lol. We're making up for the mud we didn't have during the summer drought. We have greened up quite nicely since all the rain fell, but autumn greens in the grasses are not the deep, rich, and even bright green we see after summer rains---they are a more subdued and dull green, interspersed with brown and tan grasses that died or went dormant in drought and didn't green up again, and then the many colors of various grassy seedheads predominate too. The goldenrods around the area, some of them now reaching 6' in height, are in full bloom and close to peaking, but they will fade slowly so we'll be enjoying their glorious bright golden-yellow blooms for some time to come.

We need to mow today as the grass is growing like mad since it rained heavily again last week. We aren't cold enough yet for the bermuda grass to slow down much. Probably we should be mowing twice a week, but we barely find time to squeeze it in once weekly here lately.

That's all from here as the new month begins. What's new with all of you?

Dawn

Comments (35)