SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

August 2018, Week 1, Fire and Rain

If there's a better song for our first full week of August gardening this year, I couldn't think of it. So, we've got James Taylor's Fire and Rain.

Fire and Rain

While most, if not all, of the state starts out the week with a lot of sunshine and heat, the forecasts suggest rain is coming to virtually all the state, and it could be nice rainfall in some very dry areas. So, here's the 7-day QPF. Keep in mind it updates multiple times daily and often forecasts more rain than we actually get, but it sometimes is surprisingly correct.

7-Day QPF

Normally at this time of the year, there is not a lot of new activity in the garden unless a person is planting new plants for a fall garden. With the rain in the forecast, it might be a good week to be transplanting plants and sowing seeds of the plants that need to be planted now.

Other garden chores remain the usual on-going maintenance tasks: weeding, insect and pest patrol and control, deadheading spent blossoms and harvesting. Oh, and the usual mowing and watering as needed.

We're going to mow the side yard today (the area where Tim shot the timber rattler last week) because the grandchildren are coming over to spend the night, so that grass has to be cut super short for safety reasons. The rest of the yard? It is just too dry to mow now in our part of the state. The 400+ acre wildfire that has kept us busy the last couple of days (Tim is out there now as I type this) was started from a very simple summer job---cutting a pasture. They started mowing (I'll assume the intent was to cut and bale hay), almost immediately hit a rock, it sparked a fire.....and, there you go, that's why we aren't mowing a larger area today. And for anyone wondering if normal people just out mowing their own lawn or a little pasture area do start fires in similar ways, yes, I have done it. I was mowing down by the mailbox one day with the push lawn mower---just wanting to keep the grass around it short so snakes would be visible. I hit a little rock, it set the grass on fire and that was that. I was wearing sturdy leather work boots, quickly stomped out the fire before it could spread, and didn't try mowing again until after we'd had some rain.

It is smart to remain on the lookout for increasing numbers of stink bugs, leaf-footed bugs and blister beetles. This is sort of their favorite time of the year. I've been going after stink bugs and leaf-footed bugs with a vengeance, killing every single one I see but they seem to reproduce faster than I can kill them. I haven't seen blister beetles yet, but many folks in OK are dealing with them now, in varying numbers. I don't worry too much if I just see an occasional blister beetle here or there, but if the numbers are increasing (and their population can explode overnight), I do have to deal with them. In their larval form, some species of blister beetles eat grasshopper eggs, so I prefer to leave them alone if I can since grasshoppers are a perpetual problem here in our area.

Soon you may see fresh, new plants in stores for fall, but remember that with our heat, it is far too early to plant any of the cool-season flowers, even if they start showing up in stores. Down here, the pansies, ornamental kale and ornamental cabbage, and other cool-season bedding plants usually don't show up in stores until late September or early October because we often are still in the upper 90s and even the low 100s through the end of September. A better planting time for cool-season flowers down here is late October or early November. For those of you further north, I'm assuming y'all can plant pansies and other cool-season bedding plants in October if the stores have them then. I've noticed the stores here don't even get fall brassica or lettuce transplants in at the right time---by the time you see the plants in stores, they are a month later than the fall transplanting dates recommended by OSU, but it is so hot and dry at this end of the state that no one will buy them earlier anyway. I'm not planning on a fall garden, other than the fall tomato plants already in the ground, because of our ongoing drought. I spent a lot of time looking at the various Palmer Drought Severity Index maps and concluded we just won't get enough rain here early enough to make a fall garden feasible.

What's everyone harvesting? At our house it is getting monotonous because the harvest is the same every week, but at least we are getting a harvest: tomatoes, peppers, okra, lima beans, watermelons, and (soon---perhaps by Thursday or Friday) southern peas from the final succession planting.

The flowers and herbs are looking a bit tired and dry, but I'm not going for 'beautiful' at this point since the drought conditions are so bad. I pull out about one dead zinnia plant daily (I am trying to water enough to keep them alive, but am starting to loose that battle because of the drought), but most everything else is hanging in there and surviving.

The garden still is full of hummingbirds, butterflies and bees. In our garden, the butterfly population usually peaks in August, so this is always a nice month to be out in the garden enjoying watching the butterflies. I'm seeing more tree frogs in the garden now----they always flee the woodland and move to the garden in August as the woodland dries up, but there's more than usual this year since the drought has dried up almost all the native sources of moisture on our property. I need to go check the creek today and see if water still is flowing. I haven't checked it since last weekend and it still had a pretty good trickle of water then, but not bank-to-bank water.

We're raising a fine 'crop' of fawns here this year, but I am unsure if there are more fawns than usual, or if it just is that we are seeing them more as the native plants dry up and the deer come here in increasingly large numbers seeking food and water. I'm having to add more water to our deer waterer (an old Mr Turtle sandbox) daily now, though undoubtedly some of the moisture it is losing is merely evaporating. When I first put it out for them by the compost pile in July, I only had to add water about twice a week. In addition to putting out corn and hen scratch for them (technically I put it out for the wild birds, but they do have to share it with the hungry deer), I have been slicing up watermelons for them, and occasionally throw them out a couple of handfuls of whatever kinds of berries we have in the fridge.

If you're going to be overseeding with Elbon rye or any other cover crop when autumn weather arrives, now is the time to be planning for that and obtaining your seed so you can take advantage of any rainy weather that might pop up in August, September or October to water in and sprout your freshly sown cover crop seeds.

Oddly, we're still seeing more locusts emerging. I would have thought it would have ended by now since they started really, really early this year, but I am still seeing new ones regardless.

Our compost pile Dickinson pumpkin plant now has at least 7 big fat pumpkins on it, and several of them appear to be at full size and nearing maturity. There might be more hiding under the leaves that I haven't seen, but really, for one plant to have 7 large pumpkins in a drought year is pretty good and I'm not expecting more. I am happy that, in a year when I cancelled the planting of the back garden where the pumpkins would have grown, we are going to have pumpkins anyhow---even though we didn't plant them ourselves. The plant is being attacked by a gazillion squash bugs since there's nothing left in the front garden for them. When I see nymphs, I spray them with insecticidal soap, but I'm not doing anything about the adults because I'd have to wade into the sprawling vine area to kill them, and the compost pile is too snakey in August for that to be a safe thing to do.

Trees here continue to have some issues with leaves yellowing and dropping, but it isn't yet a major thing like it was in the drought of 2011. It also is much worse in the adjoining counties in Texas than it is here because they are further along in drought than we are. This sort of leaf drop is just a survival technique and looks worse to us humans than it actually is. A tree can temporarily drop quite a lot of leaves in drought and still be just fine when the drought ends.

That's about all the news from here. What's new with all of you?

Dawn

Comments (68)