SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

April 2018, Week 1

I'd say Happy April, but with the way this month's weather is starting out, the response might be "what's happy about it?"

So, Happy Easter and Happy April Fool's Day and, with the two on the same day, maybe we should have expected that Mother Nature would be pulling pranks on us all.

What will be going on this week in everyone's gardens? Rain, wind, sleet? Freezing weather? Frosty stuff? Vicious wind chills? Probably wind-driven grass fires and/or wild fires in the western and northwestern portions of the state that the rain keeps missing. There. I think I have it all covered. Remember that the tricky weather conditions will recur for several days, not necessarily in a row, so don't rush to return to normalcy too soon. Lee warned us this would be a prolonged cold spell.

I'm contemplating either covering up the plants on the porch with row cover, or moving those flats back indoors tomorrow evening. Obviously if I have to do that for plants in flats in a sheltered location, I'll be covering up warm-season plants in the garden. I'm not too worried about cool season stuff here because we ought to stay above freezing, but that does not necessarily mean we'll remain frost free. Please remember you can get frost at temperatures in the mid-30s if other conditions are right.

When Tim was out of town working hard at the police chiefs' convention last week, I intended to order garden stuff online, just because I could and because there are some things I actually do need to order but never got around to it, so on one of these cold days I might do some online shopping. My problem is that it is hard for me to sit still long enough to do stuff like that. I am easily distracted, I guess, and never make it back to my shopping cart to finish up. I really don't need to start more warm-season seeds indoors right now or I won't have any place to put them.

So, here I am....posting early again so that on Sunday (or Saturday night if you choose), everyone can start in on the new week's gardening conversation.

Please not how I entitled last week's "No Fooling" and, yet, here is Mother Nature fooling around with all our gardens! Hang in there, y'all, because better weather is coming.

Dawn

Comments (126)