SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

October 2018, Week 3, From Summer to Autumn to Winter

Depending on your location within our fine state, you and your garden may feel like you're still in autumn (much of the state) or perhaps winter (NW through parts of central OK) or clinging to summer (far SE OK). Isn't this crazy? So the garden chore list might get complicated this week.

If you're expecting snow in NW OK, you have my sympathy. Wintery weather is arriving. Gardening basically is over unless you have a heated greenhouse. I hope it was a good year.

If you're in parts of the state expecting the cold front to roar through today and bring your area down near freezing, harvest whatever you need to, cover up whatever plants you feel will survive with a little protection, cut blooms and bring them in as bouquets if you think your flowers are likely to freeze, and then cross your fingers and hope for the best. Remember that plants are not bothered (in the strictest sense) by wind chill temperatures, but by actual temperatures. However, if you have very strong winds as many of us have in the forecast for today, tonight and tomorrow, the winds themselves can harm the plants. If you feel like your temperatures will stay above freezing and you don't cover anything, I hope that works out well for you. Normally, at this time of the year, central and NE OK could reasonably expect a few more weeks of nice weather. If you need to cover up plants, remember that any sort of textile fabric is better than plastic. While you can use plastic (and I have done it), it will work best if you suspend it over hoops, bamboo stakes, etc. so the plastic doesn't touch the plants at all. If you get very close to or below freezing, any plant part that touches the plastic likely will suffer freeze damage because the plastic will conduct the cold directly to any plant parts it touches. Textiles can float above plants, though I also prefer to suspend them. In strong wind, the heavier textiles can bruise foliage if they are floating loosely. When suspended above the plants, the textiles don't cause that damage.

If you're far enough south or east that freezing temperatures are not a risk tonight, then lucky you! (I'm in this group, unless our forecast goes downhill.) In these areas, the rain (some of it expected to be heavy) and wind will be the issue. Even in far southern OK, wind chills tomorrow morning will be in the upper 30s, but that's more an issue for people than plants.

If you aren't freezing or frozen and aren't under water for the rest of the week, the garden chores remain pretty much the same. Harvest. Collect and save seeds if you have plants at that stage and you like to do this. Harvest and preserve herbs, peppers and whatever remains of your garden produce because the cold weather likely is coming soon even to those who are pretty far south and pretty far east, even if it doesn't hit us tonight or tomorrow morning. Mulch or move containers of plants to their warmest possible location. Remember that plants in containers are considered to be growing one zone colder than your actual zone since their roots are above ground in the containers and lack the protective warmth of Mother Earth. Build an ark. Load it up with two of each kind of your favorite plants and animals, and prepare to set sail if you're in this week's heaviest rain zones. Just kidding about that!

If or when your soil is dry enough, this is a good time to plant garlic and shallots. Cool-season annual color can be planted now. Our nurseries and garden centers in southern OK finally, finally, finally are getting cool-season annuals in stock that don't already look beaten up and harmed by excessive heat and drought.

For most of us, drought now is off the table and flooding is on the table. That's Oklahoma weather in a nutshell---swinging from one extreme to another. At our house we call it weather whiplash. I wish NE OK was getting more rain now because they're looking pretty dry in places.

If you want to force amaryllis bulbs or paperwhites for winter blooms, watch for the bulbs now and buy them as soon as you see them. Our Wal-Mart got a new delivery of cyclamens this weekend and those are lovely indoor plants for the winter months.

When your decorative autumn pumpkins and gourds have run their course and you're replacing them in a few weeks with Christmas decorations, remember to throw them on your compost piles and you might get volunteer plants from their seeds next Spring or Summer.

If you are in the warmest part of the state over in SE OK, keep your eyes open for one more generation of army worms---they are seeing newly hatched army worm moths in eastern North Texas not too far from OK, though no one is sure if this last hatch of moths will lay eggs and produce new caterpillars to chomp their way through bermuda lawns and hay pastures.

While typing this I have been listening to unwanted rain falling. Tim wants more, more and more, but I think we have had plenty. Our rainfall for the last two months in this county is off the charts, and to me, it is so far off the charts that the excess moisture is starting to worry me. While typing this, I've gotten at least 5 new messages on my phone relating to ongoing rain and flooding in our county, and the heavy rain isn't even expected until tonight. Oh, wait, that 5 new rain/flood messages now is 9. I need to get off this computer and go read them. It is foggy, misty and feels more like late November or early December. Uughh. October usually is my favorite month because the weather is mostly sunny, clear, and neither too warm nor too cold. This sure is not our typical October. El Nino is here....I believe it. I don't know if NOAA or whoever has declared that an El Nino is beginning, but in my heart I know it is.

It is chili weather for sure. We were at the grocery store and I had chili ingredients in my cart this morning when I got a message from my son asking for "your chili recipe". Ha, apparently all these years he thought he was eating truly homemade chili. I actually consider it semi-homemade. So, I sent him the chili ingredient list: two pounds of meat, an 8-oz can of tomato sauce and a package of 2-Alarm chili mix. I got back an LOL, so I guess it didn't bother him to think it wasn't truly homemade from total scratch. In my own defense, I do often make it from homegrown tomatoes pulled out of the freezer, so that could be why he thought it all was homemade. (grin) Everyone down here has the same idea---a friend of ours made his chili Friday evening. I bet he's just been waiting for cooler weather. At Wal-Mart, the 2-Alarm chili mix area on the shelves was bare, and I was thinking I'd actually have to make the chili from scratch. A few minutes later I came across a middle-of-the-aisle display of canned tomatoes and 2-Alarm chili mix and got 1 of the last 2 packages of 2-Alarm mix that was left. I'll probably cut up and add some jalapenos from the garden.

So, here we are in the odd month of Octvember. DecOctvember? OctNoveCember? Oklahoma weather is weird. It is amazing we all can garden here without losing our sanity. That's assuming we all are still sane!

Dawn

Comments (38)