SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

May 2018, Week 2: Spring Is In Full Swing Now, Summer Approaches

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We all survived the first week of May and the severe weather threat that came along with it, so let's hope the second week is just as kind.

Does it seem to y'all that all the plants in your area are just bursting out into rapid growth and blooming to make up for the lost time caused by the cold weather in April? It seems like all the plants in our area are just going nuts.

How's everyone's plantings coming along? Are y'all catching up? Still behind?

I'm always happy if I have the front garden totally under control by Mother's Day. That includes having it all weeded and mulched....and, if not totally planted, that almost completely planted. Will I make it this year? I believe so. We'll see. I'm a little worried mud will hold me back, but since it is mostly weed removal (mostly dewberries) at the northwest quarter of the garden that is holding me back, I think I can dig out all those things this week thanks to the rain-softened soil. I made a lot of progress last week on digging Johnson grass out of the eastern fence line, but had to stop when I ran out of softer soil and hit harder clay. Now that rain has fallen, that harder clay ought to be soft enough to dig this week.

The garden is remarkably snake-free so far. I wish I could say the same thing for the yard and chicken coop. Oh well, nobody's life is perfect.

Parts of Oklahoma and adjacent areas of western North Texas are forecast to start hitting the 90s this week. That is bad news for gardeners with tomato plants that might not have managed to set much fruit yet. We just don't need summertime temperatures in early May when we had winter-like temperatures through at least mid-April. Hopefully night time lows will stay low enough for a while to allow for fruit set in the early morning hours.

Dawn

Comments (110)