SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

August 2019, Week 1

The final summer month begins today, even though summer-like weather often continues throughout September.

Chores for August include mowing, edging/string trimming, pruning errant shrubs, cutting back perennials, if needed, for another round of blooms, watering, deadheading, weeding (carefully and watch out for snakes!), adding mulch if any areas are getting too thin, harvesting, and starting new rounds of seeds/plants for fall gardens. Pest control may be an ongoing need. I'm not noticing any real pest issues in the garden now, if we ignore the hordes of grasshoppers migrating in from the fields as they dry out. The eat everything in sight, but I think their population perhaps already has peaked and is beginning to fall. We are seeing lots of crickets clustering under lights and close to buildings at night now.

Normally, the hottest weather in much of OK occurs during the last couple of weeks of July and the first couple of weeks of August. This weekend, many areas have been blessed with rainfall, ranging from a smidgen to a lot, and with somewhat cooler temperatures. Unfortunately the August heat comes surging back in day or two. Of course it does. August heat is a given.

In our garden, everything is pretty much unchanged from last week. Having the grandkids here since Wednesday, I haven't spent too much time in the garden which is fine since it is prime snake season now and I'd rather be elsewhere when they are out and about.

We still have tons of frogs everywhere, undoubtedly because of the months and months of moisture we had (until rather recently). As long as the ponds and creeks don't dry up, we'll still have lots of frogs, at least until the snakes eat them all.

August always is prime time for spotting hummingbirds and butterflies and we have lots of both now. The girls have taken great delight in watching hummingbirds visiting the chaste tree and trumpet creeper vines while playing out in the pool morning, noon and night. They also are great at spotting butterflies and have seen many over the last few days, getting to enjoy not only seeing them nectaring, but puddling, and sitting and soaking up sun and heat. I think that watching the wildlife, such as it is, is my favorite part of being outside with the kids---they take such great delight in all the little wild things, and watch the birds and mammals avidly as well as the birds and butterflies.

What's everyone going to be doing this week? I plan to get out early tomorrow and weed the garden a bit if I can. That, and maybe I can squeeze in some deadheading of the zinnias and other plants before it gets too hot. Other than that, the main goal this week is to stay indoors out of the heat and stay cool.

Somebody needs to mow the lawn this week because all the time spent with the girls means it didn't get mowed this week.

It rained here yesterday morning. We got a little over an inch of badly needed rain. The ground still is looking miserably and badly cracked, but the plants all look a little greener today. Even better, I don't think the fire pagers have gone off since the rain began. Today we got a 5-minute rain shower. It was light and probably didn't add up to much in the rain gauge, but it drove us out of the pool and into the house and slightly cooled the air for a few minutes.

Have a great week everyone.

Dawn

Comments (44)