SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

September 2019, Week 1

Whew! We made it through the summer. Now, whether or not one might consider September to be autumn or late summer is open to debate. However, for meteorological purposes, Summer starts June 1st and Autumn starts September 1st, so I'm calling it autumn even if the temperatures still feel summer-like.

Autumn chores? Weeding, mulching, harvesting, deadheading, planting cool-season crops or flowers, and mowing, string-trimming, etc. Fertilize if you think it is necessary as the recent heavy rainfalls could have leached nutrients right out of the soil.

Cool-season plants are becoming much easier to find in the big box stores. I had to fight the urge to buy chrysanthemums yesterday because our heat here still would be too much for the blooms to last long at all. If you buy them, they'll last a lot longer for you if you buy them while they still are in bud and not blossoming yet.

Keep refilling the hummingbird feeders with fresh nectar to the little hummers can fuel up for their autumn migration. Our hummingbirds seem to nectar on the flowers most of the time, but hit the feeders heavy a few times a day, spending more time fighting over control of any given feeder the the actual amount of time spent feeding.

Lots of people are seeing the cute but painful stinging caterpillars here in late summer and early autumn, so watch out for those. I've been seeing them on a lot of my flowers in the garden, and I go out of my way to avoid them.

Our oak trees are dropping acorns already. I'm not sure why. Perhaps they set such a large mast crop in the spring that the trees just cannot carry them all.

The recent rainfall collapsed our mole tunnels. I suppose it is too much to hope that the moles fled back south to the higher ground from whence then came, but I'm hoping....and watching for any signs they still are here.

If you want to sow wildflower seeds this fall, the time to order your seeds is now so that you'll have them when the conditions are right, which is roughly mid-Sept to mid-Nov, which will allow some of them to sprout now and overwinter as rosettes low to the ground.

Well, that's all I can think of right now. Have a terrific Sunday everybody and a great Labor Day.

Dawn

Comments (39)