SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

September 2019, Week 4

The last full week of September begins today. How odd is that? It doesn't really seem possible, and yet, here we are.

Certainly the cold front and the rain are making this week start out feeling a tiny bit more like autumn and a tiny bit less like summer, and I'm all for that.

Garden chores continue with the same old, same old stuff going on....weeding, mulching, deadheading, harvesting, removing spent crops and flowering annuals, collecting seeds, mowing lawns, keeping things tidy with the string trimmers, etc. Keep feeding those compost piles, y'all, cause we'll all need that compost added to beds before planting time next year.

I'm not much of a lawn person because I abhor the lawn monoculture and prefer a more diverse type of planting that nurtures the wild things, but if you are a lawn person, there's a few lawn chores one should be doing at this time of the year, beginning with overseeding your lawn area with winter rye grass is that is a thing you like to do. Now's the time for that. Or, if you grow fescue because of shade, now also is the time to overseed it with more fescue seed if you have bare patches where it is thinning out. I think the time frame for using a pre-emergent herbicide in lawns has passed now.

If you are wanting to sow wildflower seeds, from now through mid-November is the prime time to do that. If you haven't sown wildflower seeds before, when you sow them in autumn, they sprout when the soil temperatures reach the right range. Then most of them will remain small rosettes very low to the ground throughout autumn and winter, often so small that you barely notice them there. Then, when the temperatures reach the right range for them to make vegetative growth in late winter and early spring, all of a sudden they'll start growing like mad and will be in bloom before you know it. I'm always amazed at quickly the fall-sown wildflowers make themselves known in spring time. Even within a proper garden, a fall sowing of larkspur and poppy seeds will give you earlier blooms than you'll get from a Feb-Mar sowing of those same seeds.

It isn't too late to plant shrubs, trees or vines now to get them established before the first freeze if you can find the plants you want in nurseries and garden centers. I'm actually surprised at how many plants the garden centers still have here. Plants that go into the ground now have virtually all of autumn, winter and spring to become established and spreading the roots so that they'll be in better shape to handle next summer's heat and lack of rainfall.

There's still some of the lovely fall color type plants that you can tuck into containers or bare spots in beds if you want a little shot of color---I've seen mums (of course), salvias (especially autumn sage), Mexican bush sage (salvia), Joseph's coats, some celosias, some herbs and even Texas tarragon (Mexican mint marigold), which is both pretty and edible. I'm kinda getting in a little bit of a planting mood, so maybe I ought to pick up a few plants this week to tuck into spots where I'm yanking out some tired, old zinnias that are looking pretty rough and have gotten too tall and are falling over anyway.

I've been trying to prune back some errant hardy hibiscus branches that are sticking out into pathways in the garden, and have been tucking escaping branches of coral honeysuckle back into the garden, weaving it sideways through the fence instead of letting those branches just stick out into the driveway. It is great that we have had enough rainfall lately to cause all that new growth, but nobody likes having the honeysuckle branches attacking their vehicles as they drive up or down the driveway.

My whole garden looks like it could use a good feeding, so maybe I'll feed the plants. I haven't fed anything this summer except for the container plants, and I undoubtedly haven't fed them as much as they'd like.

I'm still seeing fall webworms appearing on scattered trees here and there, mostly on other people's property. Ours on our place were early this year and all are out of the webs, and hopefully devoured by the birds by now.

Remember to keep putting fresh nectar in your hummingbird feeders for a few more weeks because migrants still are coming through even if your regular summer population of birds at your place already has headed south. There were 2 or 3 days this week when we weren't seeing many hummingbirds at all, and then suddenly there were a lot more, so I'm not sure if there's fresh migrating ones coming through, or if our resident ones were just hanging out in the garden more than around the feeders for a few days, but the feeders are really busy again. The feeders probably still aren't as busy as they were a month ago so I feel like our resident mature males probably already did head south, but the females and juveniles still are here. The trumpet creeper vines remain in bloom and as long as that happens, we'll have hummingbirds. They seem reluctant to leave when the trumpet creepers are blooming, and we have planted lots and lots of trumpet creeper vines for them.

Is anyone seeing any signs of autumn yet? I have noticed the first one over the last 3 or 4 days, and that is the beginning of yellow foliage on the elm trees. Here in our area, it is the elms that start showing fall color first, usually a week to ten days before the end of September, and the trees seem right on schedule. I haven't looked at any of the native persimmons yet---but those trees usually start turning a lovely golden-orange just a short while after the elms, so their color should start changing soon. We won't necessarily see many other trees showing a color change for the next month, but at least the elms and persimmons give us hope that autumn really is going to show up sooner or later. The American beautyberry shrubs' berries are coming into their own right now, like little clusters of neon lavender lights hanging on the plants. Every year, folks who aren't from here or who just don't pay attention to native plants in general, will see those and will start asking "what are these gorgeous berries?" A friend new to our area asked that very question today.

It still looks and feels oddly like summer here, with crape myrtles everywhere still in full bloom. I'd love to have a long mild autumn where the weather really feels like fall weather, but for the last few years, that just isn't what we've gotten. It seems more and more that September feels like August, and October feels like September and then, bam, all of a sudden with go from hot to cold in November and it finally feels like fall for maybe a month, and then it is winter.....not that winter really feels that much like winter either. I feel like the seasons are changing, and not in a good way. I have noticed that some of the autumn sage plants that were shy bloomers in the summer heat are really putting out flowers now, and pineapple sage should be blooming now, but it isn't. I don't know why and just will blame that on the weather because the plants themselves look fine, even though they aren't blooming. The yellow bells (Tecoma stans) are gorgeous and really happy in this month's weather, blooming better now than they did in July and August.

I have a new ally in the garden helping keep the Mexican sunflowers upright. Since these plants just grow and bloom like mad, they tend to get so tall and so heavily laden with flowers that they start leaning sideways or just flat fall over, though still well-rooted in the ground. This year I planted them right up against the fence, so that if they were going to lean and fall, I could push them towards the fence and let them lean against the garden fence, which is what I've done. Well, volunteer morning glories climbed the fence beside them and then, once they reached the top of the 8' tall garden fence, they began cascading back down. At some point, the purple Grandpa Ott's morning glories reached down a bit to the Mexican sunflowers and began wrapping their vines around those plants, and now the MGs are, in effect, holding up the Mexican sunflowers and preventing them from falling over.

If you're planting a fall garden, now is the prime time to sow spinach seeds, and it isn't too late to plant mustard greens (some of the mustard plants are so pretty they can be used as ornamentals for the cool season, just like kale) or to continue succession sowing radishes each week. Lettuce seeds also still can be sown now, at least at my end of the state. Some days I look at my garden beds filled with flowers and tell myself I ought to yank out some of the flowers and at least plant kale, lettuce and mustard, but the flowers are so lovely that I just can't take them out.

This month the goldenrod and the helenium are filling the fields and roadsides with gorgeous golden yellow blooms, so at least those areas look like autumn is arriving, even if the autumn weather seems like it hasn't quite shown up for us yet. I haven't noticed much of our native blue sage (Salvia azurea, var. grandiflora) in bloom yet, so either it is late, or I am not being very observant. It usually blooms here in September through November's first freeze. I never remember to mention the tiny autumn asters either, and they are in full bloom everywhere. From a distance, the little flowers look white, but when you stop and look at them up close, most of them are very pale blue or very pale lavender. They're called annual aster, but they apparently reseed so abundantly in the same places each year that they seem like perennials to me. The flowers are not very noticeable because they are so small (maybe 1/2" wide at best), but there's tons of them, and those big patches can be more showy than you'd think for such tiny flowers simply because there's so many of them. Next to frogfruit, these are probably the toughest plants that grow in our pastures here. You can mow them down to the ground, and they'll be 3 or 4" tall and in bloom in just a few days. They even bloom in the middle of our gravel driveway despite Tim's best efforts to mow them to death.

That's about all I can think of as we start our last, full week of September. Next week we'll be staring October right in the face, won't we? I saw huge pumpkins at Wal-Mart today and was tempted to buy one, but talked myself out of it, promising to wait until at least October. Hopefully I can restrain myself. Nothing says autumn like a big, fat, orange pumpkin sitting on the front porch by the front door.

I hope everyone has a lovely late September week this week and that the rain this week is kind and falls gently on your yards and gardens and avoids that whole flood/flash flood thing that it was doing yesterday down here in the southern half of the state.

Dawn

Comments (22)