SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

September 2019, Week 3

Will this be a pivotal week for our weather? I've noticed that quite often even when September starts off with really high temperatures, around the third week of the month we start to see cooler daytime highs and cooler nighttime lows. Sometimes it is a significant difference from the previous couple of weeks, and sometimes it is only a slight difference, but the slight change in the weather always does occur, even if it doesn't happen until just before the end of the month. I'm hoping this year it really starts to happen this week.

If your weather is cooling significantly already, it might not be too hot to buy a pot of mums to place on your porch or deck or wherever you like to add a little bit of autumn color. I think I'll wait another week or two down here because we're still experiencing high temperatures in the 90s, but they aren't as high as they were a couple of weeks ago.

Garden chores continue. Be sure to kill the worst pests that plague you because any that make it through September likely will hibernate and come back to torment you and your garden in spring. I always try to make sure I kill every squash bug, leaf-footed bug and stink bug I see at this time of the year since they are such horrible garden pests.

Are you still seeing grasshoppers? We are, but fewer and fewer each day.

Somebody else whose population suddenly appears to be dropping? The hummingbirds. I've noticed that we're seeing significantly fewer of them the last couple of days. That makes me sad. I really miss them when they're gone. I told Tim I thought that they were starting to head south and he just shrugged and said "it's that time of the year" as if I didn't know that. I know it is that time of the year, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Garden chores? Endless mowing, corrective pruning of errant shrub and tree limbs, deadheading of annuals and/or seed collecting if you'd rather collect the seeds instead of letting some of those annuals self-sow. Planting of cool-season greens is still on the table. Ordering your garlic bulbs and being ready to plant them soon is another thing on the To Do list this time of the year.

What's new with y'all? Nothing new here. Just hoping, as always at this time of the year, for cooler weather, some rain and even some falling leaves. Hoping, hoping, hoping.....

Have a great week everyone!

Dawn

Comments (46)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County