SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

September 2018, Week 3

Another Sunday, another good week, and continued nice weather! Dare we believe we made it through the summer and all the extreme heat and drought really are gone? Well, I know drought isn't really gone yet at my house, and probably not gone at Robert's over there in SE OK, but the drought conditions do continue to get rolled back a bit every time it rains, so that helps.

Garden chores for September? Isn't this sort of the month we can coast a bit if we wish? In general, most folks probably still are harvesting some veggies and herbs, or perhaps cutting some flowers to carry inside and place in vases indoors. There's still weeds to pull (if your garden isn't too wet, too dry or too snake-infested), lawns to be mowed and edging/weed whipping/string trimming to be done. A few insects may be lingering. I try to kill squash bugs if I see this at this time of the year so they will be dead and, therefore, unable to overwinter and emerge to torment my plants next Spring.

By now, most cover crops should have been sown, though it still is possible to sow them in mid-September and get a good stand if the first freeze isn't too early. It isn't too late to sow Spinach seeds (down here, we can sow them even in October).

If you want to plant daffodil or tulip bulbs this fall/early winter for next Spring, I've been seeing them and a few other minor bulbs in stores for some time now. Remember that tulips need to be pre-chilled in the fridge for a couple of months before you plant them. This ensures their chilling hour requirement for blooms is met if we have a warm winter. It also remains prime time over the next couple of months to plant garlic for next summer's harvest.

I don't know what y'all are seeing in garden centers further north in OK, but the ones down here at the southern end of the state are getting a limited stock of trees and shrubs for fall planting. Most of the new plant action, though, is in bedding plants---fall and winter veggies, and then bedding plants like mums (in larger pots already budded or in bloom for an almost instant impact), pansies (still too hot for them here), snapdragons, etc.

I'll tell you what is proliferating in large numbers in the stores and garden centers: pumpkins and gourds. Tons of them. Our Wal-Mart has had various decorative gourds and mini-pumpkins for a couple of weeks and this week they added medium-sized orange Jack-o-lantern type pumpkins. So, I'm thinking the fresh apple cider in gallon jugs isn't too far behind. Our closest Sam's Club has jumbo pumpkins for just $1 more than the medium sized ones at WM. All those are just plain orange pumpkins. Home Depot, though? Today they had a huge display down the front aisle of the store and it included not just the standard orange pumpkins and multicolored gourds, but other various shades of pumpkins and winter squash---white, dark greenish-blue, multi-color, etc. It reminded me of the many, many kinds of winter squash and pumpkins I was able to grow here for the first seven or eight years we lived here, back before the squash vine borers and squash bugs found us and our garden. The display of all of them together was just dazzling, but I didn't buy any of them. I did enjoy looking at them though. Hobby Lobby, Sam's and CostCo all have lighted Christmas trees on display in the stores. I am just not ready to see those trees yet. I wish they'd let us enjoy each season and holiday before they start pushing the next one upon us, but that ship sailed long ago.

There's nothing new from my yard or garden, but there are definitely elm trees turning yellow around us, including on our own property. The question is whether it is from the drought or if their leaves are turning for autumn. In our case, I really think is it more of a drought-related thing because the first elm tree whose yellow leaves I saw in the neighbor's pasture last week now has gone totally brown and dead-looking. Elms are quick to sprout from wind-blown seeds, fast-growing and weak-wooded, and a dime a dozen around here. About the time they reach a nice size and start to look magnificent, they die, so it isn't surprising to see the drought killing off some young ones.

Well, crap, Tim tells me the deer family is here demanding to be fed and I haven't put out food yet, so I guess I'll go do that. They'll see me coming, jump the fence and flee for their lives. They'll run about 20-25 yards, turn, and stand and watch me and the food. Then, the minute I turn my back to walk back to the house, they'll begin walking back to the feeding area. That's the game we play every morning and every night.

What's new with y'all?

Dawn

Comments (35)