SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_sue

What is Your Favorite Kind of Music?

My number one choice is Country. Second choice is Big Band. We listened to both in my home when I was growing up. Now what is yours?

Sue

Comments (49)

• Uptown Gal
    4 years ago

Everything except Rap...and honestly, Country not so much. Music has always

helped me through the tough times. Don't know what I would have done

without it when I was young. It's part of the soul.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Uptown Gal
  • terilyn
    4 years ago

Classic rock and classical.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked terilyn
  • Related Discussions

Your favorite Christmas/Holiday music?

Q

Comments (25)
    sable ca, we love Handel's Messiah too. It's an amazing work of art. I'm so glad you liked Dan's music cyn427 He was such a talented man. His death a little over six years ago was broke my heart. I've been a huge fan since I saw him in concert in '74 when he opened for the Eagles. I went out the next morning and bought both his albums and have followed him every since. Here's a link that should play his last full album that he worked on as he was dying from prostate cancer. His wife and friends worked mixing his work together for over a year after he passed. The last song was his good bye. It ends with the same notes the first song on his first album started with. Home Free: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6zZihdU0sI To open the above link highlight it, right click and chose open in new tab. Here is a link that might be useful: Dan Fogelberg Love In Time
    ...See More

What is your favorite kind of juice?

Q

Comments (29)
    I like Vedge, which is an organic vegetable juice, like V8. I find V8 to salty for me. I also love freshly squeezed OJ, but only occasionally. I don't like sweet things for breakfast.
    ...See More

What is your favorite musical?

Q

Comments (49)
    Caran - I loved all of your choices too, and most of the others as well, I have rarely seen a musical I didn't like! I could really add many, many more to my list. (I have a friend who lives in the country and takes a 4 hour train ride to get to NYC and he says he would like to live on Broadway :) Let me add Man of La Mancha and also I Love You You're Perfect Now Change.
    ...See More

What are your favorite kinds of fish

Q

Comments (25)
    One fish I will absolutely not eat is tilapia. I don't like farm raised fish and I don't like fish from Asia. That said, I don't like fishy fish, or salmon or tuna or swordfish. I will eat freshwater catfish....if it has been fileted properly. There in an oily layer under the skin, and that ruins the taste of it. I like red snapper and flounder. Fresh water fish like bass and crappie. The only fish I will ever buy is sometimes farm raised (USA) catfish. We have a friend who has a snapper boat and we get red snapper from him. Flounder from our boat, and any other fish we eat are fish that my husband catches. I like shrimp and crab....eat those off of our boat. I like oysters and my husband will either open them or buy them from someone he knows who has an oyster house and can get them very fresh. Our boat has an oyster license but he doesn't oyster with it.
    ...See More
  • User
    4 years ago

Now that I'm older I rarely purposefully just sit and listen to music anymore. I was exposed to all genres when young and liked all of it until I was in my teens and turned into a rock snob with some folk-rock and a tiny bit of country-rock and blues mixed in. Later when I grew out of that I still listened to all of it but also discovered that I liked even some classical. Now although I often run into music that reminds me of the past and I stop and enjoy and it brings up a lot of memories, some great, some not so much, the only music that I intentionally turn on to listen to is smooth jazz - and I only listen to that to relax and it's more of a background thing. I don't become engulfed by it anymore with the exception of Vivaldi's "Four Seasons", some of Wagner's stuff and a few others, and again, some jazz. I guess I've grown up and that stuff in the past doesn't affect me like it did when I was young and stupid and the center of the universe!! It just doesn't send me like it used to.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked User
  • Fun2BHere
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

For some reason I never developed an interest in, knowledge of, or appreciation of music. I seldom listen to music except in the car where I have my own playlist loaded on an iPod. I tend to like female artists like Ingrid Michaelson, Chantal Kreviazuk, Colbie Caillat, Imogen Heap, Kate Earl, Lara Fabian and Sara Bareilles.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Fun2BHere
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    4 years ago

I can honestly say that I don't have a favorite kind of music. There are many examples across numerous genres that will give me chills when I hear one.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • Amazing Aunt Audrey
    4 years ago

Favorite is Jazz

2nd is Rhythm and Blues

3rd Rock n Roll

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Amazing Aunt Audrey
  • Michael
    4 years ago

No favorites. I made it through my day without a minute of music. It doesn't drive me and I don't need it to distract me or entertain me when I'm busy with tasks.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Michael
  • blfenton
    4 years ago

I don't listen to music as much as I used to but I like listening to pretty much anything except for Jazz and hip-hop/rap.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked blfenton
  • patriciae_gw
    4 years ago

I had a lot of musical friends in college-music majors and they introduced me to classical music, specifically a good friend who played the bassoon brought me a couple of records of Baroque music. I was smitten. I have a large collection of Lute music. I did not learn to love opera or any of the more modern orchestral types. Oh well. I am only up for quintet sorts of stuff.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked patriciae_gw
  • wanda_va
    4 years ago

Country was, is, and will always be my absolute favorite. I also like Rock N Roll from the 1950-60s.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked wanda_va
  • Michele
    4 years ago

I listen to all kinds of music. When I was a teen it was strictly rock. I don’t care for the real experimental type jazz and modern country. I enjoy different music for different things. If I’m cleaning up or folding laundry I tend to play my old rock music. When I cook, or I’m just relaxing it depends.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Michele
  • Lars
    4 years ago

German New Wave (Neue Deutsche Welle) is my favorite, but I also like British Ska.

Bottom of the list is C&W followed by Rap.

I also like R&R from the 1950s and 60s (almost nothing from the 70s) and some R&B.

I like Classical and Opera in small doses, but I got a lot of that as a child.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Lars
  • nickel_kg
    4 years ago

I love several types of music. Ska, reggae, and dub -- such catchy beats. Americana and roots -- melodies I can follow, compact stories in the lyrics. Rock, as long as it remembers to roll. But darn, that leaves out so many artists I enjoy. There is such a wonderful world of music out there growing all the time; there's no reason to limit yourself to rehashing your teenage years ;-)

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked nickel_kg
  • glenda_al
    4 years ago

smooth jazz

My dad always listened to the Grand Ole Opry when I was growing up, on Saturdays.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked glenda_al
  • bpath
    4 years ago

Oh, I like folk and bluegrass, I like Copland, Gershwin, Mozart, and Vivaldi, classic rock, ballads, and musicals. I really like music that tells a story, but (oddly) I don’t like traditional opera. Some modern musicals, though, are effectively opera imo, like Les Mis, Miss Saigon. Maybe I prefer them in English! (Though, I’ve seen traditional opera in English and I still can’t get into it.)

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked bpath
  • amylou321
    4 years ago

Christmas.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked amylou321
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

I don't like country (except Lyle Lovett), detest pop and rap. I like everything else, with classical first (including opera), jazz second, blues third and rock (vs types - depends on the music) in fourth place. I listen to classical the most as we have a great station in my city.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Anglophilia
  • susanwv
    4 years ago

Old Country, not the new stuff. Bluegrass, and Pentatonix.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked susanwv
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    4 years ago

I like most anything that is highly rhythmic and melodic. World music, especially from Africa is something I've been enjoying lately. Reggae, Cajun, celtic, rockabilly, early jazz/swing/ragtime/ big band, some bluegrass, doo-wop, early motown, some folk, some gospel/contemporary Christian. I listen to classical every night as I go to sleep -- although I dislike most all avant garde compositions.

I also dislike a lot of modern jazz, 1950s+. Don't like rap at all. Never cared much for traditional blues, but enjoyed the British blues movement of the 1960s. Never cared much for power rock, glam rock, metal, punk, grunge -- liked new wave in the 80s and still enjoy hearing it from time to time. So many genres of rock & roll, and so many artists, some I enjoy and some I don't. Have to mention Jimmy Buffet though, he is his own genre, isn't he?

I don't own a lot of records, but my favorites are a Benny Goodman collection, my 2 David Lindley/El RayoX, Sarah Brightman's La Luna, and Jimmy Buffett's One Particular Harbor.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • ghostlyvision
    4 years ago

Rock, always rock (which is why I listen to precious little new music these days), maybe it's just all been done but there seems to be so little creativity in music anymore. So I listen to the old favorites when the mood strikes and mourn what music was at other times.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked ghostlyvision
  • wildchild2x2
    4 years ago

Just add my name to Wanda's post. Country and I do like some rock going into the early/mid seventies.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked wildchild2x2
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I like music but I just very, very seldom listen to it or radio or watch television. I only watch television when I go to bed! It is not that I dislike it, it is I want the quietness around me.

Sue

• Jasdip
    4 years ago

My preference is country (not today's, but more in the 2000's and 90's etc). I also like smooth jazz and light rock.

The radio is on all day long, but our local stations suck. One favourite was a local community one that played light music and some oldies, and it got bought out to alternative music. The top-40 stuff is horrible, just techno stuff.

Since I got Lexis, she's been playing me music that I love. I source out old country and she plays stations in Milwaulkee and Green Bay, Wisconsin.

My step-father put 3 hours of smooth jazz on a stick, and I play it as well.

One music I love is Flamenco, and I have 3 cd's that hubby had when he played in a local trio. I love listening to those tunes. Just music, no singing, which I have trouble finding on the 'net. Most flamenco, Spanish music has singing, which I don't want.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Jasdip
  • User
    4 years ago

My radio in my vehicle is connected to XL105, which is "60's, 70's, 80's and more". I like all classic rock music. I'll listen to some country. I was a huge country fan in the 80's but it's tanked in the 2000's........ don't like it so much anymore. I'll listen to classical music when I want to sit back and relax (with headphones but not loud). I don't like "todays" music much at all. Everyone is trying to sound like someone else. the words to their songs make my head hurt. Give me a good Queen or Aerosmith song any day.

• User
    4 years ago

I have always loved music! Can't stand any county & most rap - a lot of the "new" music sounds like noise and bah, bah, bah instead of lyrics. I don't listen to much broadcast radio so it's usually in commercials that I'm hearing what I assume is the new style of popular music.

I love Christian, classical, oldies, R&R, R&B, jazz, big band, etc.

• yeonassky
    4 years ago

I like it all. Probably the least liked though is country.

I've always been like that. Everybody else has said they liked only certain genres of music and I can't seem to do that because I might miss something. There's a real resistance in me to being trapped in one genre :-)

I often listen on CBC and they have lots of interviews for all types of music. They tell their story of how their music came to be. I think music even rap is a way of telling story. And I like a variety of stories belted out said sung crooned rapped or written...

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked yeonassky
  • sleeperblues
    4 years ago

Alternative rock, which just really means rock that is not played on mainstream radio. I listen to sirius xm alt nation and xmu. I also like to listen to first wave, which is new wave music I listened to in my twenties while living in Chicago and listening to the radio station WXRT. Bands like the Cars, the Smiths, Depeche Mode. Now my favorite bands are the National, Bon Iver, Big Thief. My all time favorite band was (is) a Scottish band, Frightened Rabbit. Unfortunately, the lead singer died in May of 2018 and since he was the songwriter the band really is no more.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked sleeperblues
  • Michele
    4 years ago

I really love music. I can’t imagine not having it be a part of my life. When I’m with children I play all different types for them. They all love it. I sing to them too!! Poor kids!

• Michele
    4 years ago

In concert I saw Bowie three times, LED Z, Queen at Madison Square garden. (I didn’t care for Queen. Just went with friends) Elvis Costello, The Pretenders, U2, Joe Cocker .... I saw Yellowman and Burning Spear. Various classical music and Jazz performances... just reminiscing.

David Bowie was something else!! I get goosebumps!

I wish I had seen The Rolling Stones, The Allman Brothers and Bob Marley.

• chisue
    4 years ago

I don't care for music 'as background'. I want to actively *listen*, and I expect it to be *good*.

Much of what I (over)hear today is *loud*, often a simplistic 'heartbeat', beneath a vocalist with slurred enunciation and a range of five notes, none of which he or she can hit without sliding into them. (Nothing new; listen to Sinatra, who at least had vocal shading an interpretation going for him.)

I like acoustic instrumentals, classical quartets and orchestral, some opera and operettas. I enjoy a trained voice -- voice as instrument, not requiring amplification or 'studio adjustment'. I have a hard time finding this outside of early ballads and opera. It's so rare that I tend to 'alert' to it!

A great 'balladeer' tenor will always be popular, but some are less deserving (Lanza, Caruso). John McCormack must have been amazing. I see today that one of the greats, Placido Domingo, has been banned by the Met -- the #MeToo at work (for good or for ill).

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked chisue
  • lindaohnowga
    4 years ago

I'm like Wanda too. Love the "old" country music and the "old" rock n roll.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked lindaohnowga
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    4 years ago

Traditional jazz. I started listening to contemporary jazz in the 80’s and keep going backwards. And I played classical flute for many years.

Exceptions & Confessions:

1. I’m excited to own the full Led Zeppelin library.

2. Rush Moving Pictures is my favorite “mad music”

3. The Police rock!

4. I think I’ve just about outgrown my reggae phase from the 90’s....or maybe DH has insisted...

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Music has been a lifelong passion and my main hobby, both playing and listening. I have a very large collection of albums - mostly the various flavors of rock and pop from the 60s-90s and a sprinkling of folk and classical. I gave in to the convenience of CDs over 15 years ago and my vinyl albums are in boxes. All of my CDs are digitized in lossless form and I have the equivalent of a Sonos system to listen in various locations around the house, either the same or different playlists at each.

I find music over the radio unlistenable because of the poor quality. In two cars, I have a nearly complete digital copy of my music collection in CD quality (over 300GBs) and listen to those. Another car's ability to play portable media is limited and so in that car I just have a representative sample.

I've also been a lifelong active go-er to live music events - large and small. It's no coincidence that I live in an area with an active music scene.

Yeah, you might say I like music.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

PS - I love the Cars. Was sorry to hear of the recent death of Ric Ocasek.

I didn't list the groups and performers I've seen. Because it's been a big focus of my life, I've seen most of the major groups I've enjoyed. Yes, including the Stones a number of times, first time was in the early 70s. If I recall correctly, the opening act at that show was Stevie Wonder.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • melusineseabridger
    4 years ago

I like music and I listen to a blend of pop, rock, folk, classical and musicals. I don't like country or jazz. I have music on nearly all the time when I'm at home doing chores or just sitting around relaxing (I very rarely turn on the TV and only if there is something specific I have planned to watch, husband and kids don't watch tv at all). I have a huge and very eclectic playlist which I keep on random shuffle.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked melusineseabridger
  • Michele
    4 years ago

So many I didn’t mention that I love. There just are too many. It’s strange about me that I can hold it together at a funeral but music.... I may sound nuts but, for instance, when Lester Young comes in at the end of “When You’re Smiling” the beauty of it can bring tears to my eyes. If I’m paying attention and not doing random things while listening.

Honestly, I love it when I can feel the heart in it if you know what I mean.

• Bookwoman
    4 years ago

I enjoy a trained voice -- voice as instrument, not requiring amplification or 'studio adjustment'. I have a hard time finding this outside of early ballads and opera. It's so rare that I tend to 'alert' to it!

chisue, have you listened to Rhiannon Giddens?

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Bookwoman
  • ldstarr
    4 years ago

I like variety. I grew up with Easy Listening and Country. I preferred Southern Rock as a teen. Now I listen to Classical, Blues, Oldies Rock, Country (mostly older).

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked ldstarr
  • Jasdip
    4 years ago

Hahaha! My very first concert was seeing Alice Cooper!

Hubby and I enjoyed concerts. Wynonna Judd, Ringo and his All Star Band, Brooks and Dunn, Englebert, Chicago, The Mavericks were the last ones we saw. Hubby saw Tina Turner and Yes with my brother and step-father. both of which were phenomenal, as can be expected.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Jasdip
  • Yayagal
    4 years ago

I love all types of music and, in my life, I've listened to almost all of them. My first love is opera, followed by classical and then jazz which I listen to the most these days. Music moves me to tears. I play all types while I'm sculpting or painting and it helps my creative urge. It would be a sad world without music. These days my three-year-old great-grandson grabs my hand and says Yaya, do you wanna dance and I pop right up. Music and art are what make me happy, all the family feels the same.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Yayagal
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

"Give me a good Queen or Aerosmith song any day."

I'm right there with you, Debbie!! Rock is my favorite, starting from the 50's but pretty much stopping at the millennium. Not much rock worth listening to has happened since then :-) Have also been to too many live concert events to mention......only ones I have missed that really bum me out are Queen and AC-DC. Not sure how I managed to miss them but then sometimes the early 80's are just a memory blur anyway. My stepson was an A&R rep for a while and he got me into a bunch of great concerts.

But I like most music - opera, classical, bluegrass, R&B and the Motown sound, blues, some country, folk, jazz. I am not wild about rap and I detest house music!!

But R&R and particularly classic rock is my favorite.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • dchall_san_antonio
    4 years ago

As my boss used to say, I like both kinds of music - country and western.

I have always loved music and used to play bass in a gospel/bluegrass group. Just checking my playlist, I see my taste has expanded considerably. There are a lot of different artists and different languages on my playlist. There are few that have more than 4 titles. I'm going to list them all just to give y'all something to chew on. These vary in language to include English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, German, and the "Gypsie" language of Roma.

Alex & Sierra

Alison Krauss

Amalia

Aretha Franklin

Astrud Gilberto

Beach Boys

Beatles

Bette Midler

Blondie

Bob Dylan

Bob Seger

Bob Wills

Bobby McFerrin

Bruce Springsteen

Burl Ives

C.W. McCall

Captain and Tenille

Caravan Palace

Carla Bruni

Cat Power

Caterina Zapponi

Celine Dion

Celtic Woman

Chelsea Williams

Cher

Cheryl Bentyne

Chloe Agnew

Conway Twitty

Cream

Creedance Clearwater Revival

Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young

Crystal Gayle

Devil Doll

Diana Panton

Dolly Parton

Donovan

Dottsie

Duane Eddy

Earl

Eilen Jewell

Ella Henderson

Elvis Presley

Emilie Claire-Barlow

Fleetwood Mac

Flor de Saudade

Florence and the Machine

Gail Garnett

George Jones

Glenn Miller

Gordon Lightfoot

Haley Reinhart

Hank Thompson

Harry Belefonte

Heather Rigdon

Hee Haw Gospel Quartet

Jefferson Airplane

Jerry Lee Lewis

Jetty Rae

Jim Reeves

Joan Baez

John Denver

John Hartford

John Klemmer

Johnny Cash

Jolie Mome

Joni Mitchell

Julie London

Kiana Krall

Lady Gaga

Leftover Cuties

Leon Redbone

Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs

Linda Ronstadt

Loretta Lynn

Lorrie Morgan

Louisa Johnson

Madonna

Mamas and Papas

Marina Dalmas

Martin Denny

Martina McBride

Marty Robbins

Merle Haggard

MonaLisa Twins

Morgan James

Mother Truckers

Mozart

Nicole Scherzinger

Nouela

Orna

Patsy Cline

Peter, Paul, and Mary

Pink

Pink Martini

Puddles Pity Party

Ray Anthony

Reina del Cid

Richie Valens

Robert Palmer

Roger Miller

Roy Orbison

Sad Violin

Sam Bailey

Santana

Simon and Garfunkle

Simply Red

Sissel Kyrkjebø

Skeewiff

Sophie Madeleine

Sophie Milman

Stray Cats

Tammy Wynette

The Andrews Sisters

The April Fishes

The Blues Brothers

The Doors

The Eagles

The Good Lovelies

The Manhattan Transfer

The Pointer Sisters

The Rivieras

The Temptations

The Ventures

Three Dog Night

Tom T. Hall

Vicente Fernandez

Wailin' Jennys

Waylon Jennings

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked dchall_san_antonio
  • OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

I like almost all music with a few exceptions. I may not know exactly what to call all of them I don’t like but they are rap, heavy metal, grunge, teeny bopper rock, and some opera. I tire easily if any song that is highly repetitive in words or melody. Even among some genres and artists I like, there are songs I do not like.

Depending on my mood, I will listen to many things in the car. Lately I have been listening to some new albums by Sheryl Crow and Vince Gill and some Little Big Town music.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Feathers11
    4 years ago

My musical tastes have greatly expanded due to Spotify. When my family first subscribed, I created a few small playlists, and then this prompted suggestions from Spotify. I also listened to my kids' playlists (back when we shared them--our service is different now), and found new types of music to appreciate. Now I have so many favorites that I'm probably really messing up Spotify's algorithms.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Feathers11
  • phoggie
    4 years ago

Classic Country

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked phoggie
  • sableincal
    4 years ago

Classical, especially Beethoven, Bach, and Chopin, almost all the time, plus occasionally 50s rock and some country. Also international folk music.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked sableincal
  • aok27502
    4 years ago

I rarely listen to music intentionally, but when I do it tends toward my high school years. So 70s and 80s soft rock. I also enjoy country from the 90s. I played classical piano for quite a few years, and my favorite is Beethoven.

I usually only listen in the car when talk radio is boring, or when I'm at home doing chores. I'll turn on a YouTube video on TV and let it run. I don't know how those algorithms work, but I can start with Crosby Stills and Nash and end up with unrecognizable people and genres.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked aok27502
  • chisue
    4 years ago

bookwoman -- That was lovely. Thank you. Now...if she will open her mouth when singing non-cabaret vocals...hard to tell about the nasal part, given the song. She has 'a voice', but it's not 'there' yet. (Picky. Picky.)

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked chisue