SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Plating meals and serving

plllog
4 years ago

In the Chopped thread, the subject of plating meals came up, with a number of people mentioning other ways of serving at home.

How do you serve family meals?

i was surprised at the number who said they served dish up your own from the stove or counter, then figured maybe they have these modern, open kitchens where it's all just there and the casual eating is on a counter too. The only time I've had counter seating, or room in the kitchen proper for people to sit, was in the dire kitchen that came with the house, with a huge, uncomfortable peninsula. As soon as we got permanent chairs for the dining room, all meals for three or more have been in there, and even two rarely eat in the kitchen, which only has a TV to recommend it.

i will sometimes put a pot on the table if it really seems like the best vessel for serving from, especially to keep something warm, and don't hesitate at all putting a baking dish on the table, though the other night, it was a huge dish of drippy enchiladas, and rather than trying to serve at the table, we brought the plates into the kitchen, where it was easier to dish up from the tall counter, then passed the salad at the table. There was a composed and plated dessert that day, though, which is highly rare for me. For family and casual company, I will put out condiments and pickles in their bottles, rather than serving dishes, and sometimes even the water bottle (like a milk bottle) rather than a pitcher, but the food, even if passed family style, is dressed nicely in serving dishes.

I do make up plates, however, when it's called for by the food. Sometimes there are bits that go together. Other times, it's about potrioning, or saucing and decorating. Basically, when it just seems easier that way.

For large sit down dinners, I usually design the meal to be served family style, with passed serving dishes. It just works best in my house, though I have, on occasion, plated for big groups as well. And soup for a formal dinner always gets plated and garnished in the kitchen.

i do not, however, clean drips off plates with towels. I cringe when I see that on TV because the towels never look perfectly fresh. And lint. I'd rather my guests see an honest smudge of good food.

How do you serve? Do you plate? Do you pass? Is it every man for himself?

Comments (17)