A poll: Do you serve 'family style' or do you 'plate'...
18 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (33)
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
Related Discussions
How do you deal with family members buying you decor items.....
Comments (26)I usually give gifts with the receipt in the box. Like someone else said, I don't want to waste my money giving a gift the receiver doesn't like or can't use. I want THEM to be happy so if I guessed wrong, let them get something they like. Natal: I loved your thought. We have a green pyrex mixing bowl we always use on holidays because it was my MIL's. It's like she's enjoying the holiday with us. Oh, and my DIL's mother just buys stuff at the outlet, then figures out who to give it to later. Mostly clothes, so size is optional. Dee...See MoreHow do you keep your style young as you age?
Comments (37)loribee, I finally got a chance to snap and upload some living room photos. Here is the after, which I just love: In the second photo, the Pier One table has the small lamp and Jerusalem Pottery on it. That, and the sofa pillows and rug are the only purchase I made. (sorry I didn't straighten up the throw pillows before taking the picture,) I am not going to "stick" something on the wall over the table. I am going to look over the next year or 2 and try to find something, maybe on vacation next year. Good news is the old boiler thermostat was there. Last year we put in new AC, and they moved all the controls upstairs. So I finally got to yank off and patch the wall where that was. It drove me crazy trying to hide it with something. I couldn't find any good pictures of the before. But before the TV was where the Pier One table is now. So the sofa was between the 2 french doors (and it was too long to look good there). And the leather club chairs and ottomon were on the front window wall. Very awkward to watch TV, because you were not facing it, and had to turn your head. It was hard to see the fireplace, and the room was lined up like a bowling alley. And it had a very large very burgundy rug that just sucked up the light from the north-facing room with 1 window. I honestly can't believe that this looks and feels and functions so much better just by making these small changes. And in case anyones is wondering, the cabinet holding the TV is a sideboard. We removed the lower drawer, drilled a hole through the back for cords, and put the cable box and internet through there....See MoreWhat Do You Like To Serve With Your Meatloaf?
Comments (46)This is fun! For me, macaroni and cheese is a supper, with maybe a vegetable and a salad. When I lived in a Texas, we used to go to a restaurant called Black-Eyed Pea. Loved it, lots of home-style cooking comfort food, perfect for us young singles transplants far from home. You could choose a main dish, and any two vegetables, and there was always a vegetable of the day. On occasion the “vegetable of the day” was Mac-n-cheese. Never did figure out where the vegetable was in it, but it sure was good. (I know, they meant “side dish.) Oh, and the rolls. Which are of course just an excuse to eat butter. But Mmmmm their rolls....See MoreDo you have decorative serving bowls or plain ones?
Comments (59)Like lpink, I have lots of serving dishes that belonged to my Grandmother or Great-Grandmother, mostly the cut glass and pressed glass serving dishes from the 50s or before. I do have sets of Pyrex and a cabinet full of old Fire King and Pyrex glass casseroles that are used regularly, going from the oven to the table to the refrigerator:, but my serving dishes tend to be the old Wexford serving pieces, platters and bowls like these: And individual dessert dishes, although I suppose they could be used for other things, like maybe cold soups. They are mostly used for dessert mousse, puddings and custards and individual fruit salads. Grandma liked the Wexford pattern and so I have platters and bowls, glasses of all sizes, and those individual footed pieces, as well as a large pitcher, cream and sugar servers, a jam jar, a cake plate, etc. I also have some green pressed glass bowls, I have a nesting set of four, as well as some clear Fire King: There is a lovely stoneware light blue serving bowl and matching small platter from san, handmade by one of her friends. Plus, of course, the serving dishes that go with my Fiesta Ware and various holiday themed platters, like this one for Thanksgiving. Of course, none of these things get daily use, they are mostly for family dinners and holidays, which just aren't happening right now. I keep them and use them because they were family items that I remember holding fruit salad or turkey at Thanksgiving, or the rare homemade pudding, which was a real treat when I was a child. Grandma was widowed at a young age with 3 small children, so she worked doing laundry and cooking and cleaning for others. She sold just about everything she had, trying to make ends meet. She lived with us my entire childhood, so when she no longer had to worry about hungry mouths or a roof over her head, she spent her little bit of pension and Social Security on "nice things", and they made her happy. I remember her sitting with a cookbook and a cup of tea, listening to opera on the record player or the Galloping Gourmet on TV, dreaming up things that she could serve in those "fancy" dishes. The Wexford pitcher and drinking glasses were ever present in the summer, used for iced tea and the occasional pitcher of red Koolaid. Using them makes me think of her and smile, so I keep using them, mindful of the much easier life that I am blessed with. Annie...See More- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
Related Stories

PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: Pretty Plates for Walls and Tables
Decorate with them or eat off ’em. Plates as gorgeous as these will serve up style no matter how you use them
Full Story
ENTERTAININGMix Your Plates for Memorable Table Settings
Hodgepodges are happenin’ — learn how to combine different-style dishes, silverware and glassware for a highly personal look
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: Mixed-Use Oregon Home Serves and Charms
Home, restaurant, garden, rental cabin — and it gives back to the community too. This multitasking home is a wonder in more ways than one
Full Story
PORCHESPorch Life: Step Into a Backyard Addition With Breezy Coastal Style
Comfortable furniture, a dining area and a grill make this new porch a North Carolina family’s favorite spot
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESRoom of the Day: Adding Comfort and Style to a New Jersey Family Room
Layers of natural textures and pops of color help create a welcoming and cozy space for a couple and their baby
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: Sweetly Charming Ohio Family Cottage
This well-loved home exudes warmth with family heirlooms and hand-crafted furnishings, paired with a gorgeous backyard garden
Full Story
TRADITIONAL STYLEDecorating With Antiques: Silver’s Legacy
Learn how to tell sterling from plate, ways to display pieces and why silver is so darn special to begin with
Full Story
ENTERTAININGA Place for Everything: Beautiful Ways to Style Your Table
Polish your silver and pull out your china as we look at how tables were laid out traditionally and how they shine now
Full Story
ENTERTAININGGot Hand-Me-Down Dinnerware? Make a Memorable Meal
They might be mismatched and not your style, but those inherited plates and forks can help bring meaning to your table
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNEmbrace a Hot Trend With a Kitchen Warming Drawer
Serve food at just the right temperature with this increasingly popular appliance, coordinated to match your kitchen's style
Full Story
socks